Homefirst Properties

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 Apr 2007 12:00 AM by smccartney Star rating in Jerez. 84 posts Send private message

When I first used EOS for help on moving to Spain I recieved the following PM from Brian Rowlands;

Eye on Spain member, rowlandsbb, has sent you the following message:

---------------------

You have to first make a definate decision that you want to move Then the area
Almeria between Aguilas and Mojacar may be best for you and a little inland [25mins] you can get a nice 2 bed detached for circa 191.900? inc IVA
2 bed flats start at circa 123.000 ?
In most cases yopu need 30 % deposit and mortgages are now very good and like UK in Spain
If you have no funds to pay a deposit before you sell your house then there is not much you can do right now except decide on area
But you may be able to raise a deposit by equity release pending the sale of your house
I have bought in Almeria and the people I deal with are very professional and good If you want full details e-mail me rowlandsbb@aol or tel 0777 557 8230
Part of Costa Blanca South and Calida are also very nice and if you pick your location it can be half Spanish half northern european
eg San Miguel where you can get an apartment from 105.000 ? inc IVA
Brian

Trying to appear helpful but then in further correspondance came the "buy a new devolpment or off-plan" from me bit, I represent Homefirst Properties, our brochure is attached!

I'm sure most of you can guess the patter;

I'm more interested in resale.

No probs, we have those also but what about these new devolpments, 10 year structural guarantees blah, blah, when are you coming over, blah, blah.

He claims to have "BSc FRICS" after his name.

I really do feel sorry for the genuine agents operating in Spain because of my albeit limited experiences, I treat the lot of you with contempt and suspicion.

Stephen

Like 0      
11 Apr 2007 1:21 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 4/17/2007.

Like 0      
16 Apr 2007 5:17 PM by rowlandsbb Star rating in Gloucestershire &Hue.... 779 posts Send private message

rowlandsbb´s avatar

I did reply to Stephen and was 'only 'able to send him details after he contacted me by e-mail

Sent him a new e-mail wishing him luck in finding a suitable re sale property at the right price and without any problems 

Qualifications are correct and can be checked

All advice professional

Brian Rowlands BSc FRICS 

Like 0      
17 Apr 2007 10:23 AM by ******** Star rating in UK & Murcia. 574 posts Send private message

I also received an approach from this person.  It was a polite introductory pm asking me to make contact if I was still looking to buy a property in Spain.  I ignored it as it was unsolicited, and I have never used EOS to look for a property - I already have 2.  EOS give me much more advice and information than any agent.  I did not appreciate the use of pm to canvass business, but thought it could have been a mistake.  Maybe I was wrong.  

Jane

Like 0      
17 Apr 2007 12:28 PM by rowlandsbb Star rating in Gloucestershire &Hue.... 779 posts Send private message

rowlandsbb´s avatar

Pleased that you found the approach polite as intended

As I understand there are 'no commercial Posts' but PM's are confidential and do not have to be replied to

If someone invites or request information in a Post then as I understand the situation a polite approach via a PM offering professional advice is appropriate

In modern terms it is probably like your local Chartered Surveyor Estate Agent putting a leaflet through your letter box inviting you to use them to sell your house or buy one from them  

Then the choice is yours!

My Forum Details do state that I am a Chartered Surveyor

Brian 

Like 0      
17 Apr 2007 12:53 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Hi Brian,

I agree with your understanding of the terms of posting and use of PM's here on EOS.

However, using the PM facility purely to advertise anything one might be selling is, I don't think, acceptable.

Shortly the site owner, Justin, is introducing a way that members can prevent this type of PM reaching them.

You time may be limited................

I for one could push my own product via PM's but have never done so.

I truly think that to do that is infringing on people's choices.

As for the leaflets coming through my door, they all go straight into the recycling bin without being read.

Outlook too has a recycle bin.

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
17 Apr 2007 1:09 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/17/2007.

Like 0      
17 Apr 2007 1:39 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Think the operative statement here is if someone requests the information in a post - presumably ******** did not request any sales information in their post as they own 2 in Spain already so why did they receive the unsolicited mailing. Have to say that I have never blanket PM'd to anyone and I have to assume that neither has Brian as I ahve not received anything from him. Frankly I think the PM facility unwieldy and not overly user friendly for a techno DODO like me so whether it is right or wrong (and I am of the latter opinion) I think anyone who does it must have the patience of a saint to bother!

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
17 Apr 2007 1:45 PM by Gillespie Star rating in Costa Calida Area. 608 posts Send private message

Gillespie´s avatar
Must be those fat scaley fingers smiley mate!  I can´t say as I´ve had a problem with the pm facility though.

Business advice and consultancy - Visit www.calidain2business.com

Calida in2 Business - Spanish Property Clearance.

www.spanishpropertyclearance.com

Like 0      
17 Apr 2007 1:57 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Yeah plus with a snout the size of mine reaching the keyboard can be a problem - if its after dinner and I have a bit of wildebeest stuck between my teeth that drapes all over the keys the type comes out like kjdjsdhvcjshgcshcgjshcgsvdgjkdjvhhdkjvhdkvj hkdjvhhdvhdhdfhvdvfhvgdjjckdhifh as well so can cause a problem. Just me I guess but with that small box and my failing eyesight at 1 or 2 in the morning and having to be logged in to send the message I just find it a pain in my prematurely shortened tail!

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
17 Apr 2007 2:06 PM by Gillespie Star rating in Costa Calida Area. 608 posts Send private message

Gillespie´s avatar
I forgot about your snout!  That must be a real bind.  You can get a special spray now for removing bits of wilderbeast from the keyboard.  Roberto has a similar problem with bannana skins!

Business advice and consultancy - Visit www.calidain2business.com

Calida in2 Business - Spanish Property Clearance.

www.spanishpropertyclearance.com

Like 0      
17 Apr 2007 2:16 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

Like 0      
17 Apr 2007 2:24 PM by rowlandsbb Star rating in Gloucestershire &Hue.... 779 posts Send private message

rowlandsbb´s avatar

Well!!

The response sums it all up!!!

Fibbyuk says I should not use PM to send a marketing message

But FibbyUk advertises his web site on his Post with a direct link

Commercial Post not allowed Fibbyuk!!!

Smiley advertises his e-mail address...same applies to Smiley

I play by the rules of EOS and RICS code of conduct so if any EOS members do buy in Spain via me they can have the confidence that there is at least one agent who is a professional....in the true sense of the word

As they say'all advertising is good advertising'

So thanks everyone for the 'public' exposure

Brian Rowlands BSc FRICS  

This message was last edited by rowlandsbb on 4/17/2007.

This message was last edited by rowlandsbb on 4/17/2007.

Like 0      
17 Apr 2007 2:42 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

Like 0      
17 Apr 2007 2:46 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Actually, it is permitted to put a link to your business/company in your signature.  That gives anyone the option of going there, if they want to.

Like 0      
17 Apr 2007 2:48 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

Like 0      
17 Apr 2007 3:07 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

At the top of every thread on EOS, is this:

Please adhere to the following terms for posting:

• No commercial posts.
  • No links to any websites which are just another similar forum (please don't use these boards to promote your own forum)!
  • For security reasons we suggest that you do not post your email address and use the private message facility instead.

Therefore, under the terms of posting rowlandsbb members are allowed to include a link to their website, providing that link is NOT to another forum similar to this one.

Mine and Smiley's, plus others whose you may not have spotted yet, are NOT links to forums.

As for you getting free & cheap publicity, you have just confirmed the reason you are on this forum!

However, I fear the tone of your posts will not adhere you to any prospective customers via this forum.

I suggest you try elsewhere............

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
17 Apr 2007 3:46 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
I have always stated that I am happy for people to link to their own business in the signature.  People will only click the link if they are interested in knowing more about someone's business.  The reason for this is so that people don't use and junk up the actual posts to promote their services. 

We do however, take private message spam very seriously and if we receive complaints we do disable the function for the "spammer" so that they can no longer send private messages.

rowlandsbb, although you are a professional chartered surveyor I don't think you have done yourself any favours with the way you have come across here and they way that you have been sending unsolicited private messages to other members, particularly as you are having a dig at our most popular and respected members!

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
17 Apr 2007 6:26 PM by Juan Pánzon Star rating in Marbella. 156 posts Send private message

Juan Pánzon´s avatar

I have received two direct PM´s sort of requesting my services from people from the EOS forum and I politely told them to request my phone number from Justin as my intention when visiting the forum is not to look for commercial oportunities....

In any case, if Brian ´s "try" was polite, with his signature and contact details, I see no reason not to "bin it" if not interested... so perhaps it was in the verge of, but not doing anything prohibited.

But yes, I think that the forum is the forum and as such it should stay..... otherwise it would become a market place.

Sorry I am not participating so much lately, but I am undergoing some personal dire straits and can do not much more than read the papers, talk to my partner and just crash.

Cheers,

Like 0      
17 Apr 2007 6:50 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Juan, I think the whole point of this thread was the fact that certain persons received "unsolicited" mail from someone, regarding their services.  If someone contacts you and asks for your advice, that's another matter (but then, if you offer advice on your posts you will be opening yourself up to people enquiring privately about your services, me thinks!).  I have received a PM from someone on EOS looking for business and directed my concern to Justin - even though it was a very polite enquiry, it was not solicited by me.

One shouldn't have to take time binning email we haven't asked to receive (personally, I must trash over 100 emails per day - not from EOS members though!!!).  We don't want to receive mail about services we haven't enquired about, basically.

Having a link in your signature is great, because those who want to can then enquire more of your products/services.  Beats emptying the trash can all the time!!

Do hope your personal dire straits straighten themselves out soon and that you and yours remain healthy and happy!!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Funniest Client Enquiries - 32 posts
My broken fridge freezer!! - 35 posts
Note of Caution - 26 posts
Aircon info needed, please. - 6 posts
Selling homes abroad Channel 4 - 22 posts
Deposit returned - 18 posts
Power of Attorney and Hague Apostille - 27 posts
40 questions! - 11 posts
Do you want items from over 80 UK high street shops ? - 0 posts
Hacienda Requlme Accomodation - 5 posts
Webcams all over Valencia region - 9 posts
Hacienda Requelme - 1 posts
Floor Safes - 15 posts
Car Needed, second hand, preferably Spanish Plates. - 1 posts
Free healthcare in Murcia - 2 posts
vehicle air conditioning - 2 posts
Regarding the Forum help board - 0 posts
Multiple Applicants - 8 posts
New furniture warehouse in Almoradi. - 3 posts
KNIFE CRIME - 12 posts
Visit to Terque - 17 posts
Hep B - 4 posts
Great bedding offer from Aldi from 12th April, 2007 - 1 posts
Which company for internet access, Vodafone, Telefonica or......? - 38 posts
Childminding - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 29

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x