Which company for internet access, Vodafone, Telefonica or......?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Apr 2007 12:00 AM by jeffcoo Star rating in Marbella. 76 posts Send private message

jeffcoo´s avatar

Hi all,,,

Ive been searching and searching,..can anyone recommend an internet provider please,im moving to Marbella, and have been searching the net , i can see Telefonica and Vodafone are the major players, is their any other companies.?  Someone suggested Vodafone 3G, but i dont have to be mobile i  just need internet access at home, for business, so its really important to me , also whats the most competitive, i can see Telefonica have 1MG at about EUR 39 , any other good deals out there?  if this question has been asked before i apologise, i have been searching the forums in Utilities, im assuming Internet is located here, if not sorry. ( ideally im looking for the best deal, with high speed broadband,)

many thanks and the clock is ticking now for our move, its exciting, and i have gone through the crazy im loosing my hair stage and high levels of stress, im hoping i have things more or less under control,  >)

Like 0      
07 Apr 2007 11:07 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

Hi Jeffcoo while there are many providers out there offering ADSL packages ostensibly cheaper than Telefonica and despite the fact Telefonica are so infuriating to deal with I would have to say ot is probably worth plumping for them - many other providers state they are offering larger capacity and faster access for less money - problem is that the portal is shared with a lot of other users - consequently at busy times (and not so busy you can lose connection or even not get on line at all.

If you have only lost your hair and suffering high levels of stress then you have loads more to come Jeffcoo - you havent even started yet -. no nervous breakdown yet? Youre only half way there then! Only kidding - there will no doubt be many more frustrations and hair pulling moments but it will all be worth it in the end.................HONEST!!

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
08 Apr 2007 6:19 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Tend to agree with Smiley. Whilst there are plenty of other providers offering seemingly better deals than Telefonica, since you will still be dependent on a line from Telefonica, and in light of their well documented dodgy practices (hopefully in the past), for peace of mind, you may be best getting your ADSL from them too. I'm sure there are other opinions, and plenty of people using other providers with no problems. I wonder who Justin (Eye On Spain) uses?

Have a look at some of these for comparisons:

http://www.direct-telecom.es/      http://www.jazztel.com/english/index.php    http://www.ya.com/

BTW, it's been covered in another thread so I won't elaborate here, but be careful of anything that appears to be the English branch of Telefonica - there ain't no such thing, but if you call Telefonica on 1004 you can ask for an English speaking operator to assist.

Good luck with the move.

This message was last edited by Roberto on 4/8/2007.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
09 Apr 2007 6:13 PM by jeffcoo Star rating in Marbella. 76 posts Send private message

jeffcoo´s avatar

Thanks Roberto and Smiley, i think im going to go with Telefonica, i will attempt to speak with an english rep on the phone and go from there, the other way could lead to all sorts of unwanted doors and avenues opening, and with my experience dealing with British Rail enquires!!  remember that one!  being sent to India, then being told that the "1921 Waterloo to Portsmouth Harbour  service is on time", upon arrival only to discover, TRAINS ARE NOT RUNNING >)  so i have defo learnt to try the easy way first......

Smiley 

"If you have only lost your hair and suffering high levels of stress then you have loads more to come Jeffcoo - you havent even started yet -. no nervous breakdown yet? Youre only half way there then! Only kidding - there will no doubt be many more frustrations and hair pulling moments but it will all be worth it in the end.................HONEST!!  "

he he  im looking forward to that one!!   im hoping the worst os over, mmmmmmmmmm, but im prepared for the worst, as soon as i arrive im going to  book into the local Nut Ward.... >)   get off  to a good start......

weve sold most of our furniture, only bringing the essentials, so already i feel better,, ( sssssh, and guess what ? in the process we have sold everything i didnt like that the misses bought!!!!   

Like 0      
10 Apr 2007 7:02 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

"as soon as i arrive im going to  book into the local Nut Ward"

(This should really be posted in the healthcare in Spain thread, but never mind). It is important  you realise that in order to do this, you will need copies (in triplicate) of your passport, residencia certificate, empondronamiento certificate, 3 passport sized photos, recent blood and urine samples, your mother's birth certificate, recent utility bill (preferably Telefonica), several winning lottery tickets (always useful for bribing officials), and a written testimony from your priest and/or bank manager certifying that you are in fact nuts. 

Good luck with the move, and don't worry about a thing!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
10 Apr 2007 7:11 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

12 Apr 2007 12:20 AM by jeffcoo Star rating in Marbella. 76 posts Send private message

jeffcoo´s avatar

well if you can survive an afternoon tea party with Doris, Mavis, Shirley and Polly then we can survive anything  :=)  and im sure the vicar realises someone has stolen his cat,.mmmm. but he doesnt have a cat!     its late and im tired, just sold the washing machine to some strange family, not too sure who was the husband and whom the wife! wow that was odd, :=)   and after getting such a good deal they assumed id help them down the stairs....no i left odd family to break their own backs. do remind me next time i sell something to stipulate that IM NOT HELPING EVEN IF YOUR NICE...no seriously, not much else to sell , my motto at the moment " if it moves sell it",  and yes if i can get a good price i will sell her too!!   shipping company charging a fair bit so im taking precautions, sell it or burn it....

i love the notice Jean Sis, i will display it outside our  apartment when we arrive in Spain,.-.-.-.

Like 0      
12 Apr 2007 11:41 AM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
You may think you have managed to get rid of the stuff she bought that you dont like - sorry to tell you Jeff it will readily be replaced once here - happens to everyone I am afraid - there seems to be a philosophy in everyone that if there is a space in a cupboard then it needs to be filled.

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
12 Apr 2007 11:05 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
sell the cupboard?

Mark Twain

Like 0      
12 Apr 2007 11:16 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/17/2007.

Like 0      
13 Apr 2007 2:56 PM by jeffcoo Star rating in Marbella. 76 posts Send private message

jeffcoo´s avatar

interesting jeansis....also check out  Tele2.es    i have been using Tele2 in Copenhagen, very good company, they have low costs, not sure about the spanish service though......mmmm....

thats food for thought smiley......( about the cupboard)

Like 0      
13 Apr 2007 3:34 PM by johnone Star rating in La Reserva de Marbel.... 233 posts Send private message

johnone´s avatar

Jeffcoo

I am still hearing Scary things about Telefonica, do I atill need their phone line to use tele2.es. Or is that unavoidable?

I will be looking to install in two weeks time when I move permenantly to my apartement.

John

Dime con quién andas y te diré quién eres.

Like 0      
13 Apr 2007 10:11 PM by spiritofspain Star rating in Riviera del Sol, Mij.... 114 posts Send private message

spiritofspain´s avatar

Hi All

Telefonica in my book is not so bad.

2 weeks ago contacted them to install telephone line in a property of one of my  rental clients - last Wednesday phone line installed!.....and at no cost just the line rental each month!!!!

Over the years not had bad problems with telefonica.... l use ADSL with a static address and in about 4 years had just 2 times when l have lost connection. With the tools now available on telefonicaonline l dealt with the second instance in about 5 minutes.

Far better than some of the scarry stories l have heard from other users of other suppliers

Margery

www.losarqueros.iowners.net  and www.calahondapark.iowners.net

Like 0      
14 Apr 2007 12:13 AM by jeffcoo Star rating in Marbella. 76 posts Send private message

jeffcoo´s avatar
hi john im probably not the best 1 to ask, although i have been searching the internet and gettng as much advice as i can, to hopefully make a sound decision, apparently Telefonica ( the real Telefonica that used to be state controlled, similar to BT in the uk), they come recommended, although there are many cowboys with names like Telefonica, one in particular is telefonica in english, Roberto is better qualified to comment on them than I   :=)   but let me know how you do John, i think im going with Tele2, the reason being im with them at the moment in Copenhagen, my apartment is in Marbella and if they wont do a simple installation then i will use Telefonica, but i have taken the advice from eos, and come prepared,......ive packed plenty of helpful medications and subscribed to the Northern Times, preferably Newcastle, or even the good old South London Press, this way i can read all the horrible stories from the uk,  (your a sick man jeff " i know i know"  )  crime, politcs etc, and when Telefonica dont arrive " again"  i can smile and think..mmmmmm, at least i aint on the 0825  Peckham to London Bridge service, seated next to, " him "  with the fuuny lips.......( not that i ever was mind you)....

Like 0      
14 Apr 2007 11:25 AM by johnone Star rating in La Reserva de Marbel.... 233 posts Send private message

johnone´s avatar

Madre de Dios

I am aware of "Telefonica in English" its a doggy company, my browser puts up a certificate warning when I go to their site. I will probably use The real one when i gaet out there.

I know what you mean about "DARN SAAF"  I'm a Yorkie myself who has lived In the SAAF for a number of years, it gets worse and the Police are powerless, there are to many "Do Gooders" defending the "Rights" of Criminals and other groups of the population

Moving to Marbella next week 

John

Like 0      
14 Apr 2007 8:56 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

John, Jeff and others, this might be of interest.

My neighbour used to use Wanadoo for his ADSL, but got fed up with constant interuptions in service so switched to Jazztel a couple of years ago. He has never had any problems with them. He has just upgraded with them to 20Mbps ADSL plus free local and national calls and some free time to national mobiles. Apparently Jazztel have an arrangement with Telefonica whereby they "buy" the line, and then if you contract their services, you only pay them i.e. no line rental or anything else to Telefonica. He told me the total monthly cost is about €30. I've checked their website which is only in Spanish and a little confusing, and I think there is also a line rental (to Jazztel) of about €13 a month on top of this, but I would want to ring their customer services to clarify this. I don't know if they have English speaking staff. 

If this is true, it seems a damned good deal. May be worth checking out.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
21 Apr 2007 7:40 PM by jeffcoo Star rating in Marbella. 76 posts Send private message

jeffcoo´s avatar
thanks Roberto i will check that one out 

Like 0      
23 Apr 2007 1:37 AM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/17/2007.

Like 0      
09 May 2007 12:48 AM by jeffcoo Star rating in Marbella. 76 posts Send private message

jeffcoo´s avatar
that llooks good jeansis will check that one 2..... :)

Like 0      
15 May 2007 6:51 PM by johnone Star rating in La Reserva de Marbel.... 233 posts Send private message

johnone´s avatar

Viva Telefonica,

I went into the telefonica agent in Calahonda on thursday the 10th May and ordered a Phone line and asdl connection. I was told it would be installed within 5 days, I was a bit aprehensive having read some of the stories, but i gave it a go. Low and behold on Monday 14th, Telefonica turned up and installed everything, within half an hour I was on line reading the three million emails I had misssed in the three weeks I'd been offline.

So once again "Viva Telefonica"

Johnone

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Childminding - 3 posts
Community - 98 posts
This development seems to be behind schedule - 0 posts
land disputes - 1 posts
Moving away and have stuff to sell including Car, washing machine etc. - 1 posts
This may sound like a strange question ....................... - 9 posts
HOLIDAY DATES FOR 2007 FOR SPAIN - 1 posts
Valle de Enix development in Almeria [ built by Grupo location] - 0 posts
Valle de Enix development in Almeria [ built by Grupo location] - 2 posts
Rules for use of communal garden areas - 10 posts
Costa Almeria - Vera - 1 posts
it's not always doom & gloom - 12 posts
Site Progress - 0 posts
Costa Calida Property Management - 5 posts
More changes.... - 5 posts
Advice please-Divorce and my rights? - 3 posts
Photos - 13 posts
HOTEL RECOMMENDATION - 3 posts
Dentist In Catral - 4 posts
anyone buying on las palomas nr valencia? - 1 posts
BUYING FOR BLACK - I WANT A SPECIAL THREAD PLEASE - 23 posts
stating up a business in Spain - 11 posts
New Cartagena to Vera Motorway. AP-7. - 4 posts
How much tax on resales? - 11 posts
buying in Alboaire Golf - 15 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 39

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x