KNIFE CRIME

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 Apr 2007 12:00 AM by tinasolera Star rating in Murcia. 801 posts Send private message

tinasolera´s avatar
Ok guys im wobbling here!! Ive just read in The Times that the UK is knife crime capital and the only countries worse are SPAIN and PORTUGAL. Please someone say something!!!!!!!!

www.galgosdelsol.es

Like 0      
09 Apr 2007 10:30 AM by Plunket Star rating in Benalmadena, Costa D.... 36 posts Send private message

Plunket´s avatar

First of all - don´t panic.  Don´t believe all that you read in the papers. Anyway, how can the UK be the knife crime capital if there are countries that are worse?  It doesn´t make sense.  So, stop worrying.  We have lived on the Costa del Sol for three and a half years and have never had any problems with any kind of crime.  No doubt there are gangs of youths who cause trouble in some areas but I have had no experience of them and neither have any of the people I know.  I expect there are no-go areas of Malaga city at night or in the early hours, the same as in any city anywhere.  There have been reports of women having their handbags snatched and of drunk people causing trouble - but these occurrences are usually in the summer when there are a lot of tourists on holiday here.

I feel safe walking alone at night where I live - obviously I stay alert and keep my wits about me, but I feel safer here than I ever did in the UK. 

Like 0      
09 Apr 2007 11:31 AM by tinasolera Star rating in Murcia. 801 posts Send private message

tinasolera´s avatar

Thank You i needed to hear that. We are going for a month soon and im sure once im there it will remind me of all the reasons we are moving to Spain, im just having a moment of worry and doubt. Thank you

Tina

www.galgosdelsol.es

Like 0      
09 Apr 2007 12:12 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/19/2007.

Like 0      
09 Apr 2007 2:54 PM by Plunket Star rating in Benalmadena, Costa D.... 36 posts Send private message

Plunket´s avatar
I haven´t seen the article, so I can´t comment on it, but I believe that those that carry knives are generally young men and that the incidence of ´knife crime´ occurs mainly within their own circles.  As Janice says, just because it does happen it doesn´t mean it will happen to you.

Like 0      
09 Apr 2007 3:12 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I read in last week's Sur in English that a fatal stabbing took place about 100 metres from where I live a couple of weeks ago on a Saturday night. Strange that nobody in the area seems to know about it, even the bar owners who work in the exact area where the alledged incident took place. I'm not saying it didn't/couldn't/wouldn't happen, and it is indeed a bit worrying, but perhaps the papers do not always get their stories right (shock horror!)

I think there are areas to avoid in all countries, and I think if you use your common sense to avoid obvious trouble spots and not wander off into dark alleys when staggering home drunk on your own wearing your Rolex and diamonds, you are no less safe in Spain (or Portugal) than anywhere else.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
09 Apr 2007 3:17 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

This obviously depends on which paper you read.  According to the BBC Scotland website, Western Scotland is one of the worst places for knife crime in Europe, "on a par with Latvia and Moscow".  Spain isn't even mentioned. BBC also says that "Western Scotland compares unfavourably with the rest of Europe" and goes on to say how bad it is in UK and Germany.  If Spain was that bad, I am sure it would at least have got a mention.

In all the papers I have read in Spain, even some of the sensationalist ones, I haven't noticed anything major about "knife crime" and these papers seem to take great joy in reporting every bit of crime on the Costas.

Like 0      
09 Apr 2007 3:48 PM by tinasolera Star rating in Murcia. 801 posts Send private message

tinasolera´s avatar

Thanks guys

i needed to hear that, i dont know why i woke up this morning and felt all negative about it. My auntie said that negative thoughts can happen with big changes in your life & that little bits of doubt always creep in. Theres nothing like having children to start  the old worry sensors going.

The papers are good at scare mongering I know but for some reason today i have had visions of Spain being like S. Africa with the stories ive been hearing. Tomorrow I will wake up all excited again. Thanks everyone

Tinax

www.galgosdelsol.es

Like 0      
09 Apr 2007 4:01 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Hi Tinasolero,

i am glad your fears have been allayed.

Just to add to those posts, I never have felt intimidated passing by Spanish youths.

They tend not to hang around in large groups, unlike here in the UK.

The Spanish "family" culture, has created a different type of youth than that in the UK, I think the Spanish teenagers are nicer than the UK ones...........

You keep smiling, don't let the hype of newspapers get to you!

Kind regards,

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
09 Apr 2007 4:19 PM by tinasolera Star rating in Murcia. 801 posts Send private message

tinasolera´s avatar

Thanks Fibbs

Dont know what was wrong with me today.... flippin papers i am not going to read them anymore!!!!! x

www.galgosdelsol.es

Like 0      
09 Apr 2007 4:26 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Good girl TinaSolera!

You just enjoy Spain, my turn in about 18 months I think.

That's when we hope to reitre and spend more time at our pad!

Have a nice rest of the day!

Kind regards,

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
20 Jun 2008 12:48 PM by kezy Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

whilst listening to the news on the radio the other day i was shocked that the first four stories were about  a stabbing in Liverpool one in London one in Blackpool and a shooting in Manchester. I couldnt believe it, it just seems to get worse. I know that there must be violent crime in Spain..but it cant be as bad as it is in Britain, can it?? 

Is the Spanish media full of stories of  violence as it is here in the U.K.  How many people this year alone have been shot stabbed or kicked to death, it doesnt bare thinking about.

I would be interested in this forums views on the subject of violent crime..Is it as bad as Britain???

Like 0      
20 Jun 2008 10:58 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
I regularly try and read the Spanish press online to see what is happening in the country and to try and improve my Spanish reading skills.  There are the occasional violent crime stories but nowhere near as many as picking up any UK newspaper will be reporting on. 
Reading these papers is quite interesting and does show what is worrying the country at the moment and it shows some things that we have no idea about, for example, a current news story is that 2 Spanish soldiers have been killed in a helicopter crash in Bosnia.  How many of you knew Spain provided troops to the UN in Bosnia?
This site is excellent as you can pick either national newspapers or pick the region which you are interested in.
http://www.prensaescrita.com/espana.php
(links don't appear to work too well on these replies so just highlight it and paste it into your address bar).
If you don't want to plough through the Spanish (which I enjoy doing) highlight stories and translate it through the Google translator.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Visit to Terque - 17 posts
Hep B - 4 posts
Great bedding offer from Aldi from 12th April, 2007 - 1 posts
Which company for internet access, Vodafone, Telefonica or......? - 38 posts
Childminding - 3 posts
Community - 98 posts
This development seems to be behind schedule - 0 posts
land disputes - 1 posts
Moving away and have stuff to sell including Car, washing machine etc. - 1 posts
This may sound like a strange question ....................... - 9 posts
HOLIDAY DATES FOR 2007 FOR SPAIN - 1 posts
Valle de Enix development in Almeria [ built by Grupo location] - 0 posts
Valle de Enix development in Almeria [ built by Grupo location] - 2 posts
Rules for use of communal garden areas - 10 posts
Costa Almeria - Vera - 1 posts
it's not always doom & gloom - 12 posts
Site Progress - 0 posts
Costa Calida Property Management - 5 posts
More changes.... - 5 posts
Advice please-Divorce and my rights? - 3 posts
Photos - 13 posts
HOTEL RECOMMENDATION - 3 posts
Dentist In Catral - 4 posts
anyone buying on las palomas nr valencia? - 1 posts
BUYING FOR BLACK - I WANT A SPECIAL THREAD PLEASE - 23 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x