Moving to spain in 9 months

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 Aug 2009 12:00 AM by rach123 Star rating. 21 posts Send private message

HI i wonder if anyone can help,me and my boyfriend are hoping to come and live in spain for 3 to 6 months next year. I just dont no were to start planning. We are both UK residents, i am a qualified hairdresser and he has a trade. Has anyone got some guidence ect of were to start. We would like to work there too.thanks

Like 0      
12 Aug 2009 6:33 PM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

My advice is do lots of research in advance. If possible try and get jobs before you arrive because I know people who've been here for a year and are still looking for work.

If you don't speak Spanish, then you'd be better off sticking to a place where there is a large Brit population - somewhere like Torrevieja or Nerja.

Good luck, but I think you're being optimistic about working here. Why not save loads of dosh and have a long holiday?

Irene

Like 0      
12 Aug 2009 8:01 PM by rach123 Star rating. 21 posts Send private message

i have been on holiday 2wice this year to palma nova and el toro, there is nothink in England, i want to have a go and at least i have tried. I am a hairdresser, so hopfully i could maybe to that for the british tourists ? Who knows, we are both saving at the min and are hoping to go out next april. I just dont know were to start.lol

Like 0      
12 Aug 2009 8:44 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Hi Rach,

Do your research but as a hairdresser as long as you stay in the english speaking areas you could go mobile. Others that do the same started in a hairdressers on a self employed basis and then built up their client base. My dresser came here to me today and is pretty busy, and she is good. She has only been here just over a year.

Because of the crisis many arent going to the salons and paying top dollar but still want a good job done.

For your boyfriend it depends on the trade as to whether he has to have his qualifications translated or not but again if you are prepared to work there is work here.

Good luck with it!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
12 Aug 2009 10:19 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

29 Jan 2009 8:04 AM

rach123
Star rating
Parcela

I have made 4 forum posts

Send private message to rach123

From thread: MOVING TO SPAIN 2010

hi thanks for your reply,he has a trade of an engineer.we were thinking of majorca,we are visiting porta portals this coming june. We are going to try and get rentals numbers for flats ect.I have been to this part of spain 5 times and really like it,i would like to go march april and may next year. I already know a little spanish as i done it in school. Thinking of refreshing up on it though. I would not mind doing bar work,but hopfully we could save up too before we come. I was thinking about doing it last year too as there is nothink here in the UK.look 4ward to your reply

Hi Rach

Just wondered why you started a new thread when you posted same in your thread above in late January & Bobaol answered. You told him about yourself & boyfriend. In this new thread you've still not told us in two posts that your boyfriend's an engineer, although an engineer at what as that might help. . Just an observation.

Like 0      
13 Aug 2009 10:20 AM by rach123 Star rating. 21 posts Send private message

aww, how is she getting on? I just dont know were to start to be honest!! my boyfriend is an engineer, he is doing a plastering course to.

Im just worried i may not make enough money as i have a morgage to pay back at home, but i suppose if i save enough to cover it we will be fine.

Do you live in spain yourself?b 

Like 0      
02 Oct 2009 11:32 AM by rach123 Star rating. 21 posts Send private message

my boysfriend is a pipe fitter, welder engineer!! i still have strong feelings about going to spain ,the saving is getting pretty tough. But if i think positive it will happen!!

does anyone elce know were i could get info about hairdressers in spain, i have emailed a few salons but not got a reply.x

Like 0      
02 Oct 2009 12:13 PM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 420 posts Send private message

One thing that might help you with work is offering a mobile hairdressers service if you can not find something in a salon, i know many people who would love that, we had someone who did this before and made good money!

Joan

Like 0      
02 Oct 2009 12:32 PM by rach123 Star rating. 21 posts Send private message

Yes , i would do that, i dont know if the language barrier would be a problem though!!

Also driving in spain is somthink that may need a bit of practice 4 me lol.

Does any one know any salons i could contact

Like 0      
03 Oct 2009 2:04 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Anything related to kids and the english language might probably  work too. Saturday clubs in English, farm-schools, intercultural games... add proffessionality and positive sense and try hard!

Some schools in Spain lack much to really get in to bilinguims and would need extra activities in the early evenings or weekends for the kids to pratise and live the english language.

There is much to exchange!

Maria

This message was last edited by mariadecastro on 03/10/2009.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
04 Oct 2009 2:11 AM by Caz.I Star rating. 19 posts Send private message

Maria,

Were you suggesting the OP approaches state schools or private to teach English? Either way, it isnt easy. I am a qualified EFL English teacher and find that native English teachers arent usually considered in state schools for after-school activities (even though some of the teachers they do have for this can't actually speak English correctly (and I am talking about a very basic level (for 4 year olds!).

They definitely require a high level of spoken Spanish and many organisations who employ staff for these activities require Spanish qualifications (even though the extracurricular activities may not require any teaching qualifications as such.) It's often a closed shop to foreigners (well that is the case where I live  - despite having a high percentage of native English living here on the Costa Del Sol). Mind you, my ex-boss (Spanish) who is well known in the community, also says its a closed shop for Spanish teachers too, unless they have an "enchufe". Maybe it would be easier in inland or non-expat areas, where there are fewer English. But with unemployment the way it is here, I cant imagine it.

I do teach extracurricular activities( only a few hours a week though) in a private Spanish school but I am the only native English teacher and they prefer teachers to have a teaching qualification. I think the school I work in is a bit more open to native teachers than most. The international schools normally insist on all teachers for the after school activities being qualified primary teachers. It is possible to get private classes teaching English but you would be competing with many qualified teachers. I think that although in theory, Saturday clubs and the like are a good idea, I dont think that its an easy option, particularly to start up (it has been tried here), and I think most parents are more exam orientated so although they start off saying they want speaking practice, as their kids struggle in the exams, they usually end up asking you to work on grammar and writing skills.

It is not impossible but teaching is not an easy option.

Caz..I

Like 0      
04 Oct 2009 12:39 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

New ways, difference:.... games, theatre, sports, songs, dances, tales, roles, ... english and spanish mixed... maybe in different places out of the formal education points: golf clubs, social clubs, Churches.....maybe where parents and kids can both have enjoyable activities during the free time...

How many weekends are we alone with our kids just having meals out or shopping because nothing fun but educational is within the reach of our hands....

Just some enthusiasm, imagination and proffessionalism is needed...

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
04 Oct 2009 5:19 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar

Caz.1

I, too, am a qualified EFL teacher, with all the current updates.  However, some time ago when I was enquiring about teaching in Spain I was told that I had to  have a university degree before I could be considered.

Now, just to keep my Spanish up I go in for "intercambio".  Of, course, this option is no good if you want to earn money !!- but gives a good deal of English/Spanish practice to all parties, and a great deal of satisfaction. 

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

SELLING AND CHANGING OWNERSHIP OF SPANISH CAR - 2 posts
Moving to Madrid..but don't have a clue! - 1 posts
Help! The grout in my pool is going black! - 4 posts
Buying a spanish reg car before moving to spain - 15 posts
Building Insurance wiht Mapfre - 7 posts
Parking at Marbella Bus Station - 4 posts
Blogs - 4 posts
german shepherd type dog looking for home in Cadiz - 0 posts
Building Work in Spain - 5 posts
Need health insurance for 6 months in spain - 4 posts
Get a delivery date from removal company! - 2 posts
Dangerous dog act in Spain? - 20 posts
Cancel Telefonica Landline - 1 posts
A different flyng question - 6 posts
5 day car hire from Murcia Airport - 2 posts
Sunshine - 2 posts
Looking for good CDS agents - 22 posts
Transfer of contract - 1 posts
Jeep Cheroke for sale 2004 Plate - 0 posts
18 and moving to Spain! - 10 posts
Dogs on the beach (the four legged variety) - 3 posts
Agricultural / Farming Diesel - 3 posts
Preserving jars for home made jam, etc - 5 posts
Non-Biological Washing products - 2 posts
Protection/ Guard dog wanted - 11 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x