Can I just say I found these in other boards to do with restaurants.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
17 Mar 2007 12:00 AM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/18/2007.

Like 0      
18 Apr 2007 9:06 AM by johnone Star rating in La Reserva de Marbel.... 233 posts Send private message

johnone´s avatar

I'm thinking of opening my own restaurant in Spain.

"La Cuchara Aceitosa"

greasy.jpg

Bound to get fed up of Paella sometime

chef.jpg Me in an other life

Johnone Chef to the Rich and Famous

Dime con quién andas y te diré quién eres.

Like 0      
18 Apr 2007 10:31 AM by chipmonk Star rating in Staffordshire, Engla.... 101 posts Send private message

chipmonk´s avatar

If someone fed me that in Spain I would pour it over their head. No wonder all the Little Chefs have gone; little as in those terrible cafe's not as in small chefs as oppossed to big chefs.

Like 0      
18 Apr 2007 1:17 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Big demand for greasy spoons here - Brits (and even some of the natives) love em - especially if its done well!

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
18 Apr 2007 7:40 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

EE, 'appen, lad.  Nowt like a good ol fry up in 't morning and warms thee up for a grand pint of bitter at lunchtime.

Grand in Spain.  Just like bein' at 'ome.  Not keen on them omelettes, though.  Don't think sticking potatoes in eggs goes very well.  An' if you look real 'ard, you can find a place that does a decent mug of tea and don't use garlic in all the cooking.  Wish they'd stick some butter on the bread rolls, though,  not into that olive oil stuff.  Only thing wrong with that programme, Benidorm, was that it didn't go far enough and the characters were a bit muted.  Give us the real Brit on holiday or retired in the sun.  It'd be fry-ups at dawn and mind the black pudding......

Like 0      
19 Apr 2007 1:28 AM by chipmonk Star rating in Staffordshire, Engla.... 101 posts Send private message

chipmonk´s avatar
I don't mind traditional English food like a good hot curry when I am in Spain

Like 0      
19 Apr 2007 1:44 AM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/18/2007.

Like 0      
19 Apr 2007 1:21 PM by hfagan Star rating in Hove, East Sussex. 36 posts Send private message

hfagan´s avatar
Chipmonk, you have a poor sense of humour.

Like 0      
19 Apr 2007 2:02 PM by chipmonk Star rating in Staffordshire, Engla.... 101 posts Send private message

chipmonk´s avatar
Are you hounding me Hfagan. Joking apart nothing wrong with a good fry-up and certainly nothing wrong with a vindaloo as long as there is a cerveza close at hand.

Like 0      
19 Apr 2007 5:29 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

No, folks, I can honestly say I haven't had a fry-up in Spain.  Breakfasts (brunch, normally by the time I get up) usually consists of a fresh loaf of Rustica with some of the cold meats, cheese and melon.  Plus my coffee (must admit I DO take Nescafe with me as the powdery stuff in Spain tastes a bit bitter) and fresh squeezed orange juice (at 50 cents a kilo for oranges that taste like oranges, it would be a shame not to).  There are so many fabulous restaurants in the Torrevieja area that it would be hard to select my favourite.  I like all the outdoor ones on the seafront for lunch (everything from Lasagne to Tortillas through to the menus del dia are brilliant) and usually end up having something like Serrano ham and melon.

El Gran Mundo Chinese opposite the flea market is my favourite Chinese restaurant but, as I like a drink with my evening meal, the El Chino near my current house is a very good substitute.  There is a small restaurant near the indoor market (think it's called La Antigua) which does fish and chips and steak and kidney pie to die for if I fancy anything English (beware--the portions are huge and we share one meal with the 3 grandkids, so make sure you're hungry).  Marvellous Spanish restaurant in El Galan with rack of lamb at €34 for two including veg, dessert and wine, plus live flamenco a couple of nights a week.

We also found a brilliant Italian restaurant in Torrevieja once, about 3 streets back from the seafront, but haven't been able to find it since. It had floor to ceiling paintings of Italian scenes on the wall so if anyone knows directions I'd be grateful.

The disappointing bit, unusually, is the fish restaurants.  Haven't found a really good one yet as the fish always tastes a bit dry.  Considering the choice in Carrefour or Mercadon, this is a bit of a puzzle and we tend to buy from the supermarkets and have it at home (really stinks the kitchen out, though.  Looking forward to a separate kitchen in my new house as opposed to the "American" one we have now).

Some of the restaurants in Torrevieja can be a bit expensive and, to be quite frank, aren't worth the money.  Always look at the menus (and prices) outside first.  And, of course, just love the food and value in the many tapas bars but am not too happy about eating at the bar area while the cook/barman/waiter is puffing on a cigarette.  As a smoker myself, I detest it in restaurants and always look for the "Prohibido el fumar" signs before going in.  Have no problem in outdoor eateries, though.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Comic Relief - 1 posts
Happy St Patrick's Day - 10 posts
smart investor services - 1 posts
ERRING ON THE SIDE OF CAUTION WITH MY ERM PODCAST - 5 posts
SPANISH INLAND PROPERTIES (GALERA) ANY OTHERS HAD PROBLEMS? - 0 posts
How much time do we have? - 6 posts
NEED MORE BANDWIDTH! - 9 posts
Ultra latest activity reports and pictures from Monte San Juan - Terreros - 0 posts
Another newbie here...... - 12 posts
Euro's and Spain - 15 posts
diasters buying property abroad - 8 posts
Taking Cash into Spain - 8 posts
Vehicle change of address - 3 posts
For Lars Wichmann .. your Viking avatar - 2 posts
Exhibition Frolicks - 42 posts
El Gusto,La Cala village,CDS. - 1 posts
furnishing new built spanish property - 17 posts
Square metres - real or imagined? - 30 posts
car breakdown insurance - 6 posts
Welcome home Janice - 23 posts
Employees! - 35 posts
To become a resident or not - 11 posts
healthcare in spain - 1 posts
moving to spain - 4 posts
London Members Meet - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x