To become a resident or not

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Mar 2007 12:00 AM by pete boatman Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Could someone please advise me, I am in the situation of needing to keep hospital appointments once a year in the uk. I want to retire to spain but will be returning to  the uk regularly every 8 weeks. Do I  legally need to become a resident or not, please help I am totally confused about the situation. Pete.

Like 0      
13 Mar 2007 4:51 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Hi Pete officially if you are living here for 183 days if the year or more then you will be considered resident anyway. The issue over residency cards is a complicated one as there has been an EU directive that Spain is following that states that one does not need to apply for residencia if you are an EU citizen. Nevertheless something that is now happening is that if you live here for more than three months of the year you have to apply for a "temporary residents permit" or something along those lines. It is a certificate that you apply for in the same manner as NIE but at the moment there are varying degrees if confusion over how it should be applied for. I am told it will not be the same as the Residencia card but you will be required to produce it if requested.

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
13 Mar 2007 4:51 PM by Gillespie Star rating in Costa Calida Area. 608 posts Send private message

Gillespie´s avatar

Hi Pete,

Recently the Spanish by royal decree have abolished the need for a residency card for EU citizens, that used to take up to 3-4 months and several visits to a foreigners police station to acquire.  Now you are only required to attend the police station and announce you wish to be a resident to receive a piece of paper that confirms such.

However it´s sounds as you are really in no hurry to become resident yet.  You could stay in Spain for 6 months before you take the desicion. 

There are thousands of Brits who have lived full time in Spain for years without becoming residents.  Around my Costa they just drive UK registered cars with top boxes on looking as though they are on holiday!!

The law however requires you to become reident if you plan on spending more than 6 months at a time in Spain.

There are several factors that could help you decide.

1) Try it for six months first before applying for residency as you may not like Spain or your frequent hospital visits may become too much and you decide to go back to the UK then at least you have not commited to anything.

2) During the six month´s speak to a lawyer or accountant in Spain before making any moves.

3) If you keep a UK address and bank account I´m sure you can delay the decision for a few years before commiting.

4) You could bite the bullet and after six months register for residency. If you feel the need to return to the UK to live it´s easy to cancel (many don´t bother) but better to do so and nothing is lost.

Don´t worry over the desicion too much Pete, it´s really not a problem, Spain could relax all the laws tommorrow and negate the need for it altogether, many people expect that to happen in the future.

I hope it helps but there are loads of people here who can offer further advice.

Good luck Gillespie

Business advice and consultancy - Visit www.calidain2business.com

Calida in2 Business - Spanish Property Clearance.

www.spanishpropertyclearance.com

Like 0      
13 Mar 2007 5:02 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Hi Pete you should look at the other thread under NIE's posted yesterday by Roberto on the change in legislation and bemoaning the fact he is going to lose his blue Tarjeta

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
13 Mar 2007 6:02 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Smiley, I'm pleased you read that post of mine - but I was rather hoping you might have something to say also?......

Pete, without knowing your personal circumstances re: health I don't know how relevant this is, but you will find loads has been posted about healthcare in Spain in other threads, and you may be well advised to browse through it all. Your right (or otherwise) to free treatment in Spain is a complicated issue to say the least, so do make sure you know exactly where you stand before making the move over here.

Best of luck.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
14 Mar 2007 6:10 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
To be honest old chum I thought you had said it all and would only be repeating opinions etc - I am a firm believer in if it aint broke dont fix it as I know are you but always philosophical about things I can do FLICK all about - hence my conversion to the cynical party in 1990 (or was it 91 - seems like yesterday) when he of the grey suit replaced the Iron Lady thanks to Tarzan revolting in the wings

Like 0      
30 May 2007 1:25 PM by raquel Star rating in Valencia. 19 posts Send private message

ok the next step.. I have a residency card and my NIE number etc and even a job (legal one pay taxes an all!) ...

I now have moved house, how do I go about changing my address on any of these or if I need to at all?

thanks

Like 0      
30 May 2007 10:33 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Just posted a reply to your question on the other thread. The reason I said not to bother changing the address on your residencia, is that they are no longer issuing residence cards, so doing so would probably result in you being issued with the new (useless) certificate instead. I would hang on to your card for dear life, 'cos when it expires (in 5 years time?) you won't be getting another one, and in 10 years time people may start suspecting that the picture on it is not you (no offence, but it happens to us all!)

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
04 Jun 2007 12:40 PM by raquel Star rating in Valencia. 19 posts Send private message

thanks roberto. no offence taken.

Like 0      
13 Sep 2007 11:26 PM by imaginelennon Star rating in London. 9 posts Send private message

If Spain is following the EU directive about residency , does that mean anyone in the EU can get a 100% mortgage?

Like 0      
14 Sep 2007 1:34 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Love the theory there! Unfortuantely this is Spain and to get a 100% Spanish mortgage as a resident then you would have to be registered as such, be working either self employed or on a contract and show the relevant criteria such as pay slips (nominas) or books

I have no idea of they have a version of self certification for spansih residents at all - Smiley would be able to answer that one.

If the figures work out and the property values well, then you can effectively get 100% mortgages anyway - you wills till need to put the purchase costs down!!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
17 Sep 2007 4:50 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
As a non resident of the UK you cannot get a mortgage in the UK so you are doing pretty good to be able to get a 90% of value mortgage in Spain. In fact it is possibloe to get up to 100% of purchase price - what you cannot do legally is procure a mortgage in excess of purchase contract price.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

healthcare in spain - 1 posts
moving to spain - 4 posts
London Members Meet - 3 posts
land boundary - 1 posts
Shipping FROM Spain - 0 posts
To use a solicitor/gestoria or not!!!!! - 24 posts
healthcare in spain. - 1 posts
BUYING A NAVE (AGRICULTURAL BUILDING) - 3 posts
Parcels delivery - 3 posts
Just back from spain - current progress - 3 posts
Agent - 2 posts
english films/cinema - 1 posts
My New Home - 9 posts
Agents - 1 posts
sports thread uk football - 2 posts
Has anyone else completed here ? - 5 posts
Estate Agents in spain? - 2 posts
Update on Phase 4 - 22nd october. - 2 posts
ISA's and Spanish Tax - 3 posts
Zurgena, Costa Almeria - 1 posts
Is there anyone out there who is living in the Altea region,north of Alicante - 0 posts
My area. Enjoy! - 1 posts
Mariadecastro´s legal advise in London - 14 posts
paint - 31 posts
self storage at Gata de Gorges - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x