Has anyone else completed here ?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 Mar 2007 12:00 AM by Icaru Star rating in Kalkan Turkey. 46 posts Send private message

Icaru´s avatar
In April 2005 we paid the deposit on an off-plan apt.  Our lawyer told us in person that he could get our NIE numbers with the Power of Attorney we gave him (one year ago). 

Months passed.  On Jan 30 of this year I emailed him asking if he got our NIE numbers as our apt in the final stages of completion.  His response informed us of the new law stating that people must now apply in person or through Spanish Consulates.  Moreover, his email wrongly informed us that we could get the NIE number AFTER signing the Title Deed. He said this knowing we would be applying for a loan that we cannot get with the NIE, and knowing that we are non-EU nationals living far away from Spain.

After receiving his email, I researched the Internet and realized that we must have the NIE to complete the financing and the purchase.   The developer is in the initial snagging stage, has already applied for the Licence of First Occupation.  They are hoping to begin completion at the end of March.  We are in Mexico until well after the completion date.

After learning that we have to have the NIE, we drove the 4 hours to Mexico City to deposit the application with the Spanish Consulate on March 3.  We were told it would take at least 60 days to get the NIE, meaning end of April or early May.  The developer will certainly expect us to complete before then.

We believe our lawyer is responsible for

1) not informing us in a timely fashion that he did not obtain our tax numbers, and
2) misinforming us in an email about the need for the NIE prior to completion.

What should we do to deal with this problem?  Do we have any rights in this matter?  Should be try to sue our solicitor himself?

This message was last edited by Icaru on 3/11/2007.

Like 0      
11 Mar 2007 5:59 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Hello Icaru,

I have not seen you on EOS before, so welcome!

You are quite correct, you must have an NIE number to complete on our purchase.

It sounds as though your lawyer had every good intention to get the NIE number for you, but the new legislation had been brought in since. (I am not sure what date the new rule came into force)

However, I do find it incredible that your lawyer was unaware of the need to have the NIE number in order to complete the purchase!

I am not a legal person, but we have a very nice lady called Maria de Castro as one of our members, who will reply to you on this point I am sure.

Kind regards,

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
24 Mar 2007 1:38 PM by HAWKINGS111 Star rating in Las Filipinas. Spain.... 290 posts Send private message

HAWKINGS111´s avatar

Hi Icaru.

Sueing your lawyer will take time and money. Quite honestly if the developer says they are ready to complete at the end of March, i would explain the situation to them and say you will be able to complete when you receive your N.I.E number which will be in a few weeks time. I am sure even though they could keep your deposit, they would not want to lose a sale for the sake of a few weeks, so dont lose too much sleep over it.

Bob. 

Now  Retired and have our money back in FULL via our bank guarantee.    Bob and Pauline.

Like 0      
30 Apr 2007 12:27 AM by steverayner Star rating. 32 posts Send private message

Hi, I need some info on NIE numbers, if anyone can help pls..  Myself and my husband got an NIE no., about 18mths ago but have lost it, does anyone know where or who we can contact to get to know what it is?  Also my sister needs to apply for an NIE no. as she is buying a property in Mallorca, am I right in thinking that her lawyer can't apply for it on her behalf and that she will have to apply for it herself?  If so, where does she apply to. ? Any info would help, cheers Celia 

Like 0      
30 Apr 2007 12:50 AM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/19/2007.

Like 0      
25 Mar 2008 10:00 AM by NieNumberDirect Star rating. 13 posts Send private message

NieNumberDirect´s avatar

I see your message is old, but will respond for the benefit of those reading it now.

If you have lost your original NIE Number certificate the only means by which you can obtain a new one is by applying for a duplicate through the National Police of Spain.  This is the exact same process as the original NIE Number application.  You can apply in person, or through the use of a solicitor or gestoria or through a company such as NIE Number Direct.

Many lawyers / gestorias may claim it is impossible for someone to apply for and obtain an NIE number on their behalf, this is simply untrue.  Throughout Spain, there are many local branches of the National Police that chose not to allow application via Power of Attorney (the method used by lawyers and gestorias), but this is a choice made by the management of the local station, not the law.  There are many branches throughout Spain that allow this, and will continue to do so.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Estate Agents in spain? - 2 posts
Update on Phase 4 - 22nd october. - 2 posts
ISA's and Spanish Tax - 3 posts
Zurgena, Costa Almeria - 1 posts
Is there anyone out there who is living in the Altea region,north of Alicante - 0 posts
My area. Enjoy! - 1 posts
Mariadecastro´s legal advise in London - 14 posts
paint - 31 posts
self storage at Gata de Gorges - 0 posts
Garden Furniture and Gas Barbecue in Mojacar area - 3 posts
This Thread Has Lost It's Thread - 8 posts
Thought Id telll you my expirience - 5 posts
All Things Sports - 301 posts
San Cayetano Quarter Villas - 12 posts
needing new home - 1 posts
restaurante hesparia en murcia - 0 posts
Iberian International Problems with? - 33 posts
How do I get an Avatar? - 41 posts
what is a legal proxy vote - 12 posts
You and your Car in Spain - 2 posts
Part Load To Spain From UK - 2 posts
Buying a bungalow in Daya Nueva La Vega Baja development - 1 posts
Keep trying to change me Avatar - 2 posts
Coto Real Development - 9 posts
Oxygen Rental / Purchase in Spain - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x