ISA's and Spanish Tax

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 Mar 2007 00:00 by Roger Davis Star rating in Balsicas , COSTA C.... 93 posts Send private message

Roger Davis´s avatar

Does anyone know if Spanish Income Tax is payable by people taking up residence in Spain , on the Tax-Free Interest they receive from their ISA's.??


Roger and Fran

Like 0      
11 Mar 2007 18:57 by jhousden Star rating in High Halden, near As.... 3 posts Send private message

The ISA's tax exemption is given by UK tax legislation. In Spain you cannot expect an exemption under UK tax law to apply, so the interest will be taxable.

However, ISAs tend to pay good rates of interest because they are 'sticky' money from the banks' viewpoint. I'd suggest transferring to a new cash ISA just before you go to Spain (Halifax are paying 6% for 4 years fixed). That way you crystallise the tax free interest while you are still UK resident, start with a clean slate in Spain and still have an ISA with its UK tax benefits if you return to the UK at a later date.

John Housden

Like 0      
01 Feb 2008 19:38 by fpegman Star rating in San Miguel De Salina.... 441 posts Send private message

fpegman´s avatar

I would check with your ISA provider as I believe that you need to be a UK resident with UK address to continue holding ISA





Overseas Property Company

Real Estate sales - rentals and Lloyds insurance agency.

Like 0      
01 Feb 2008 23:30 by morerosado Star rating in Guardamar del Segura.... 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar


Taken from this pdf file

Moving abroad


You can only open an ISA if you are resident and ordinarily resident in the UK for tax

purposes. If you are unsure about this, call our Centre for Non-Residents on

0845 070 0040 (UK)

+44 151 210 2222 (from abroad) 

If you open an ISA and then move abroad, you are no longer classed as a UK resident.

So you cannot put money into the ISA.

You can still keep your ISA open and you will still be entitled to the tax benefits on

investments held in the ISA. If you become UK resident and ordinarily resident, you

can start putting money in again.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 2/1/2008.









Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Zurgena, Costa Almeria - 1 posts
Is there anyone out there who is living in the Altea region,north of Alicante - 0 posts
My area. Enjoy! - 1 posts
Mariadecastro´s legal advise in London - 14 posts
paint - 31 posts
self storage at Gata de Gorges - 0 posts
Garden Furniture and Gas Barbecue in Mojacar area - 3 posts
This Thread Has Lost It's Thread - 8 posts
Thought Id telll you my expirience - 5 posts
All Things Sports - 301 posts
San Cayetano Quarter Villas - 12 posts
needing new home - 1 posts
restaurante hesparia en murcia - 0 posts
Iberian International Problems with? - 33 posts
How do I get an Avatar? - 41 posts
what is a legal proxy vote - 12 posts
You and your Car in Spain - 2 posts
Part Load To Spain From UK - 2 posts
Buying a bungalow in Daya Nueva La Vega Baja development - 1 posts
Keep trying to change me Avatar - 2 posts
Coto Real Development - 9 posts
Oxygen Rental / Purchase in Spain - 3 posts
Spain real estate: como es global property guide report - 0 posts
Anyone in UK interested in a meet up - 6 posts
Peggotys Fish and Chips and nearby - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x