Unanswered questions re move to Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Apr 2009 12:00 AM by sarah_lee001 Star rating. 13 posts Send private message

I am quite new to the forums and have spent the last few days reading all the posts in the different forums. I have gained quite a lot of information so thank you to everyone who has posted - it is all very useful. However, there are a few questions that I have that I have not found the answers to.....forgive me if I am duplicating but have tried to read as much as possible!!

There are a lot of questions and answers about people retiring to Spain and taxes in Spain, etc. However, what about (as I plan to do) - work in Gibralter but live in Spain. Do you pay tax in Gibralter only? if so, anyone any idea how much? Also, how does the Social Security  (is that the right tax?) work if you are not working in Spain? Do you still have to pay this monthly charge? Would I need to get private healthcare?

Also, I believe there are several online jobs that can be applied for, e.g. virtual assistants, gaming advisors - anyone have any idea how or where I can view such vacancies?

One more unanswered question - buying a car in Spain - is this as straightforward as in UK or are there any hints / potholes to watch out for? Are the prices similar to UK and is English licence sufficient?

Thanks in advance for all the answers that I hope come flooding in!!!

Like 0      
25 Apr 2009 10:25 PM by gwm Star rating in Pizarra. 139 posts Send private message

Hi, No replies yet, I may be able to help a little. Gibraltar has a lot of jobs in the gaming industry at the moment. Re tax etc try this www.esposurejobs.com then click on advice centre, then click on Gibraltar. lots of info on tax etc, also jobs. another job site is www.recruitgibraltar.com  I think if you are employed and pay tax etc in Gibraltar you are entitled to use the health service there, they have recently buit a new hospital. Loads of workers in Gibraltar live in Spain. Gibraltar housing is really expensive. Buying a car....You can buy a second hand Spanish plated car, prices are higher than the UK, as is insurance. Do not buy a car without all the relevent car documents. There are car transfer costs involved, for a car costing say 3,500 euros, transfer cost approx 250 euros, it's quite complicated so we usually pay a Gestor to do it. I believe as long as you are working in Gibraltar you are entitled to buy a Gib plated ...less expensive, and drive it in Spain, but not sure on this.  If you are intending to rent a property in Spain and commute, cost would be approx 500-600 euros monthly new 2 bed, 2 bath. However driving in and out of Gibralter daily depending on the time, can involve big queues, might be better to park at the frontier and walk over. Remember if you go to an employement agency for a job NEVER pay an upfront fee....just a scam...never find you a job. Hope some of this helps.

Like 0      
26 Apr 2009 5:10 PM by sarah_lee001 Star rating. 13 posts Send private message

Thanks for the info - very helpful! If someone could confim the car query - buying a car in Gib and driving it in Spain - is this allowed and how much does this cost?

Also, does anyone have any web site links to online jobs - virtual assistants, etc?

Thanks in advance!!

Like 0      
26 Apr 2009 5:37 PM by alcaidesa Star rating in Beckenham Kent. 34 posts Send private message

I read that you have be a Gibraltar Resident with a Gibraltar address to be able to drive a Gib plated car in Spain.

I am sure I also read that the Guardia were getting tough on Gib plated cars in Spain, so just be a bit careful. 

Like 0      
27 Apr 2009 11:49 AM by buzylizzie Star rating in Gibraltar, Manilva a.... 192 posts Send private message

buzylizzie´s avatar

Yes you do need Gib residency to be able to drive a Gib plated car.

I actually had a car taken off me crossing the border as I didn't have my resident card! It was all sorted out later once I returned with my proof of residency but if I didn't have it I wouldn't have got the car back!

I'd be a bit more than careful - don't buy Gib plates if you're not resident there! Working in Gib doesn't qualify.

If you are working in Gib you can opt for the Gib government to pay your taxes to Spain so that you can register and use the health service in Spain.

Like 0      
23 May 2009 10:22 AM by keddyboy Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

It makes no difference whether or not you work or live in Gib, if you buy a car in Gibraltar and you live there, you have to abide by border regs ie Gib resdency docs. but if you work in Gib and buy a Gib plated car then bring it into Spain on a permanent basis then you have to have it registered in Spain.  Gib cars driving from Gib to other parts of Spain are restricted to 183 days as alloted to visitors from other EU countries.

Like 0      
23 May 2009 5:54 PM by Rob in Madrid Star rating in Madrid. 274 posts Send private message

Rob in Madrid´s avatar

just a note, but I have a friend who did something similar to you, only he lived in Madrid and was paid out of the UK. And because he did it on his own and not with the with benefit of a corporate relocation he's had nothing but problems. Taxes weren't so bad, no withholding taxes in the UK, and once a year he files and pays Spanish taxes.

The real issue was healthcare, they basically didn't want to give it to him, somehow he got it but it's tenuous as to if he can continue with it.

Decided after all I don't like Spanish TV, that is having compared both.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Alistar has stitched us up like a kipper!! - 14 posts
residencia - 0 posts
Handing in the keys - 1 posts
I am writing this out of sheer frustration...... - 6 posts
Trampoline 12ft including protective netting + ladder brand new - 6 posts
Renting out a property - 7 posts
Renting out a propery - 8 posts
Ryanair..Have you booked a flight? - 3 posts
Warning! Beware of Autos Velerin in Estepona - 3 posts
Polaris World Terrazas de la Torre Golf Resort - 4 posts
Hi All - 1 posts
Anyone living on a mobile home site? - 1 posts
Can you transfer money ..... - 16 posts
Court Embargo - 2 posts
Copy of Developers Bank Guarantee - 10 posts
What's a 'ticker'? - 9 posts
Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics...("And the band played believe it if you like...") - 5 posts
Is TV on your PC really possible? - 18 posts
Barclays Sabi - 2 posts
Number of posts - 5 posts
'C' Bar in Duquesa - 28 posts
Weather in June in Alicante - 6 posts
learning spanish - 3 posts
jive alive with jukebox - 0 posts
Check if your lawyer is registered - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x