Extension of UK furnished holiday lettings rules to EEA until 2010

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
23 Apr 2009 12:00 AM by Bellarina Star rating in Oxford. 31 posts Send private message

Hello,

Don't know if you are aware of this, but yesterday's UK Budget brought some good news for those liable to UK tax but with properties overseas.

Basically, the benefits that apply to UK furnished holiday lettings (short term), such as offsetting losses from your income, CGT relief and capital allowances, are being extended to such properties in the European Economic Area until 2010.

Not so good news is that the rules are being repealed in 2010, so it's only a short term benefit.

More information can be found here: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/budget2009/furnished-hol-lets-1015.pdf and http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/resources/property-news/rental-news/budget-2009:-changes-to-uk-furnished-holiday-lettings-rules-announced/a-2-56-1680/ .

Hope this has been of help to some of you!

Like 0      
23 Apr 2009 1:01 PM by tazwildman Star rating in Germany . 14 posts Send private message

Hello i am new to all this I have a Holiday home in Spain that i rent out to holiday makers we have only had about 6 bookings last year what effect/benifit will this new rule have on myself if any. 

thanks 

Like 0      
23 Apr 2009 1:01 PM by tazwildman Star rating in Germany . 14 posts Send private message

Hello i am new to all this I have a Holiday home in Spain that i rent out to holiday makers we have only had about 6 bookings last year what effect/benifit will this new rule have on myself if any. 

thanks 

Like 0      
23 Apr 2009 1:28 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

I doubt whether it will make a difference as I gather the majority of owners in Spain who rent their property out don't declare the income, certainly in Spain where it is 25% of the gross income as I understand it.

Like 0      
24 Apr 2009 9:14 AM by Bellarina Star rating in Oxford. 31 posts Send private message

If you are a UK tax payer, then you should declare any rental income from property abroad, even if you make a loss overall. Under the new rules, until they are repealed next year, you should be able to offset any losses from your holiday lettings venture against any other income you have. You can also deduct expenses such as mortgage interest, lettings agents fees etc from any income to arrive at the final taxable amount.

It's really worth talking to an accountant - he/she will be able to explain exactly how you could benefit and make sure you get the most out of it.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Andalucia in the Spanish Finals!! - 2 posts
Happy St Georges Day!!! - 8 posts
Saint George Feast in Spain - 8 posts
Difficulties with mortgage - 9 posts
SECOND.COMHAND CAR - 0 posts
Removals,, need - 0 posts
Development declared illegal - 3 posts
Unanswered questions re move to Spain - 6 posts
Alistar has stitched us up like a kipper!! - 14 posts
residencia - 0 posts
Handing in the keys - 1 posts
I am writing this out of sheer frustration...... - 6 posts
Trampoline 12ft including protective netting + ladder brand new - 6 posts
Renting out a property - 7 posts
Renting out a propery - 8 posts
Ryanair..Have you booked a flight? - 3 posts
Warning! Beware of Autos Velerin in Estepona - 3 posts
Polaris World Terrazas de la Torre Golf Resort - 4 posts
Hi All - 1 posts
Anyone living on a mobile home site? - 1 posts
Can you transfer money ..... - 16 posts
Court Embargo - 2 posts
Copy of Developers Bank Guarantee - 10 posts
What's a 'ticker'? - 9 posts
Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics...("And the band played believe it if you like...") - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x