Question re contract

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Apr 2009 12:00 AM by sunlover45 Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

I've been checking with my solicitor regarding our contract and he has advised that there is an estimated date for completion in the contract as April 2009, however all licences etc were awarded in September 2007.    Can anybody advised if we can execute our Bank Guarantee as of the 1st May and where would we stand legally regarding this.

Thank you

Like 0      
15 Apr 2009 10:50 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

If there is no First Occupation License and handing of the house by April the 1st, you can execute your Bank Guarantee before the Guarantor institution.

http://www.eyeonspain.com/spain-magazine/bank-guarantee-legal.aspx

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
15 Apr 2009 3:07 PM by kdr45 Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Hi Marie

We are in the same situation and have been advised by our lawyers that the sale should be completed before September 2009 and that before that date it is not possible to get a resolution of the contract due to non fulfilment by the developer.  

However they have also advised that the Bank Guarantee says the money guaranteed plus delay interest will be refunded in case the contract is cancelled due to breach of contract for not beginning the construction of the property or non-fulfillment of the delivery date of the property, expected to take place in April 2009.   This is 5 months before what is stated on the contract.   They have further advised that if we decide to cancel the contract we could try to execute the bank guarantee first, but not before April 2009.

We have also been advised that the common practice among promoters has been to cancel the contract with a penalty (keeping 50% of the money we have paid) or forcing us to complete and now in this global financial crisis it could be the the developers do not allow us to cancel

My questions are as follows

1.  Would we be able to execute the Bank Guarantee at this stage or would we have to adhere to the contract dates?

2. Will our Bank Guarantee cover us after April 2009?

I would be extremely grateful for your advice regarding this.

Many thanks

Like 0      
15 Apr 2009 3:31 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Bank Guarantees are executable by the date mentioned in the contract. Automatic extension deadlines are illegal according to baasic principles of Contract Law and sufficient Case Law by our Supreme Court.

Bank Guarantees do not expire or better sais they just expire, according to provision 4 of Law 57/68 once the house is handed to the buyer.

Best wishes,

Maria 

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

returning from south of spain to england with a dog - 1 posts
Hotter in UK than Spain! - 78 posts
Bank Guarantee - 3 posts
Searching for....... - 2 posts
With Ref to ADH - 3 posts
POLARIS WORLD VICTIM SUPPORT - 2 posts
Tracing a lawyer - 1 posts
golf courses in and around murcia - 11 posts
moving to spain - 0 posts
insurance needed - 5 posts
SUNDAY DINNER IN OR AROUND MANILVA - 1 posts
Visa electron - 9 posts
Forum signatures need sorting - Your input please - 48 posts
Any recommend a good chiropractor between Gibraltar and Marbella? - 7 posts
Looking for Paul Tobias - 1 posts
how bad is the market? - 9 posts
West Highland White Terrier Puppy wanted - 1 posts
Wireless Internet - 10 posts
Passport validity - 8 posts
How to access the online form for Resident Income Tax 2008 - 9 posts
Vandalism! - 4 posts
Can I delay my completion based on a lack of insurance underwriting of my rental scheme? - 1 posts
Spanish 'Highway Code' - 1 posts
Is there a time limit to issue the LFO and is a back-dated LFO legal? - 5 posts
Chinese - 15 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x