Spain compared to England?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Mar 2009 12:00 AM by Rachel82 Star rating in Manchester. 21 posts Send private message

Rachel82´s avatar

Hi i am new on here, we are finally gona move out to spain. Just curious what the cost of living is "compared" to the UK?

Thanks in advance

Like 0      
28 Mar 2009 6:35 AM by Eva2008 Star rating in Reading. 152 posts Send private message

Eva2008´s avatar

Hi there, when we bought our place in 2003, Spain was certainly cheaper than the UK. When we actually got the keys to the house in Nov 2005, things were beginning to change, and now, I think Spain in about the same or slightly more expensive.

People reading this might jump on me, but this is my experience. When i look at my electric bills, water bills, etc, food bills (things like Bananas are hugely more expensive here), elecgtrical goods (televisions, computers) and of course furniture.

My brother lives in the UK and constantly gives me UK prices, I cant beleive how cheap food is there)

Still rather be here though!

Like 0      
28 Mar 2009 3:29 PM by Rachel82 Star rating in Manchester. 21 posts Send private message

Rachel82´s avatar

Thanx for your reply ava. great info, thank you

Like 0      
28 Mar 2009 5:06 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Such a difficult one. It depends so much on the individual, and their lifestyle etc. There was a time when I would have jumped on Eva but it's true the difference doesn't seem so great anymore. However, a lot can be attributed to the exchange rate. Certainly electrical goods are currently cheaper in the UK, but I don't consider TVs and computers as part of the cost of living. Bananas may be more expensive, but strawberries may be cheaper. (I really have no idea!) If you buy imported goods you'll pay more - especially if you insist on brands you recognise from "home". If you buy Spanish products and brands.......Electricity is probably dearer in Spain, but if you live on or near the coast, you won't need much heating, and unless you're American, you can live without aircon, or at least use it sparingly. And if you use a tumble drier you've probably forgotton why you left England.

Like I said though, a lot depends on your chosen lifestyle. Running a car should be cheaper here, and unless you live somewhere out of the way, you'll probably use it less anyway. Why jump in the car to nip to the shops when you can walk in the sun? Clothing may or may not be cheaper / more expensive, but you'll probably need less than you did in the UK .

At the end of the day, you should probably work on the basis that your overall cost of living will be much the same as in the UK.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
28 Mar 2009 5:46 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar

I have tenants in my house in Spain - only one couple without children - but I have been shocked about the rising bills.  The last electricity bill (March) was far higher than any previous ones - over €300 for a quarter.  Looking at the € = £1 scenario, the electricity bills are far more expensive there than here.  The only glimmer of hope about this is that I have read that Iberdrola have been issuing large bills in error - so I will have my fingers crossed!! I have a choice between air-con and dimplex - so think that I will have to seriously explore different systems.  The water bill is also on the rise. 

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
28 Mar 2009 5:54 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Electricity prices went up I think 6% on Jan 1st.

Many people have had probelms with excessive bills due to the change from bi-monthly to monthly billing, with alternate months being based on estimated meter readings, which have been (deliberately and fraudulently) mis-calculated. This is now being addressed.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
28 Mar 2009 6:01 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

As an expat for many (???) years one thing you have to stop doing is converting to your "previous" currency!  Where you are living is what you are living, basically!  Once you start converting "back" to your "old" currency is when you should start thinking about why you moved in the first place.

Leave sterling/usd/aed/whatever behind when you move to a new country and live within the currency of the country.  If you have to convert all the time to live in another country, then maybe it's not the time for you to move there!  You should be able to comfortably live in your chosen country without having to convert back all the time!

I hope that makes sense, without being too concise!

Like 0      
28 Mar 2009 6:02 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar

Thanks for that info Roberto.  Just a quick point about our Spanish Electricity bills, and that is that they have always (well, at least during the four years that we've had the house) been quarterly.  However, my Spanish penfriend has sent me realms of stuff to read about Iberdrola, which I'm ploughing through ,at present, to see if there is a chance that I can contest it!! 

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
28 Mar 2009 6:05 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar

Hi Pitby

Well, I'm still living in England - and probably will for the rest of my life.  The problem is that I have to pay a part of those electricity bills, and have to send money over to Spain to do so, every now and then!!  So the currency thing is very relevant to me, as you can guess!!

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
28 Mar 2009 6:12 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Don't know if the same applies in your area then. I thought all Spanish electric companies billed bi-monthly, and now monthly. Maybe that just applies to Endesa. Strange, because according to Iberdrola's own website, bills used to be bi-monthly, now monthly! Quote: "customers...will receive their bill monthly, instead of every two months, as established until now".

Pitby - good point, but how do you explain the Spaniards who still convert everything into pesetas?????

This message was last edited by Roberto on 3/28/2009.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
28 Mar 2009 6:13 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

Hi, abbbb1 - sorry, my post wasn't aimed at anyone specifically, but just at the thread, and the posts I had read. 

I know what it's like when you don't live in the country - we are having to convert expenses from here in Dubai to cover our Spanish home.  But my post was directed to those that had "made the move" to Spain or were planning to.  In that you have to live within the currency of the country - if you get my meaning!

Like 0      
28 Mar 2009 6:17 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

Roberto, they're converting into their cherished coin!!!  Deerrrrrr!!  I think that's just called "obstinate"!!!

Edited to say : and I do believe that the Euro is here to stay in Spain!!  The Peseta won't return!!  I suppose that can be called obstinate too!!

This message was last edited by Pitby on 3/28/2009.

Like 0      
29 Mar 2009 3:11 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar

Hi Roberto

Just spotted your post.  Just checked my bill again, and was billed on 15.12.08 with €243.82 and then on 19/3/09 for €306.39 - but another amount has appeared on my bill dated 27/3/09 for €21.95!!  Not sure what that amount is for!!  Maybe a new type of tax has been invented!!

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
29 Mar 2009 4:30 PM by directpropertysales Star rating. 22 posts Send private message

I am with one of the electric companys and they seem to have sorted things out now just keep giving them your meter reading as much as possible to avoid big bills.

Like 0      
30 Mar 2009 5:41 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

abbbb1, no idea what's going on with your bills. Each bill should clearly show the date of meter readings (previous and latest) and whether they are actual or estimated. Taking one figure from the other gives your consumption for the period between those dates, and the rest of the bill should be fairly self explanatory. There'll be a fixed charge on each bill for the service, then an amount for the consumption, tax and possibly a small amount for the rental of the meter (unless you own your own).

Mark Twain

Like 0      
30 Mar 2009 5:50 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar

Hi Roberto

Have just e-mailed Iberdrola, through their internal system, and have given them until the end of the week to reply.  Not sure if this is a reasonable time, considering all the complaints that I keep reading about that must be mounting up within their system.  I prefer to try and do things in writing - so as there's no mistaking exactly what is meant!!  If I don't get a reply by then I'll ring them up.  I can call up a detailed description of the larger bills, but am unable to access the smaller ones - not sure just why.

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
02 Apr 2009 11:24 PM by Glen0903 Star rating in Murcia, Spain. 10 posts Send private message

Hi guys

According to a source in the electricity industry (can't give name or company as on a public forum) there's two reasons why the bills may be so high, especially after the conversion to monthly bills.

1.Iberdrola have increased their consumption charge from around 9 cents per unit (and a load of numbers behind the decimal point) in the Autumn of last year, to around 11 cents per unit.

2. And this is the cunning one, when they switched from every othe rmonth to monthly they reduced the consumption allowance level. It was about 1300 units every 2 months with the old system, they have now reduced this to 500 units per month under the new.

Big deal I hear you say, please bear in mind that we've got used to 650 units per month and this was just about adequate, here's the shocker (to me anyway) every single unit above the allocated unit level is charged at 28 cents and a few other numbers per unit!!!! that's nearly 3 times the rate and less allowance!, no wonder 2 coach loads of Spaniards camped outside the office in Murcia protesting!!!

This is all information passed on to me from extremely reliable sources, I don't get involved in 2nd hand chat usually but this is credible.

Myabe this answers some of the bill issues, try contesting it, it apparently has some standing but not a huge financial recompense.

Hope this helps

Glen

Like 0      
02 Apr 2009 11:37 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

But if you use over 500 units in one month, as long as you don't exceed 1000 over 2 months, you should not incur excess charges:

"A surcharge for excess usage occurs when the average daily usage in a period between actual readings exceeds the equivalent to 500 kWh a month. Thus, a low estimate will never result in a penalty for excess usage, since usage will always be calculated based on the last two actual readings taken". (Iberdrola website)

Mark Twain

Like 0      
03 Apr 2009 10:01 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

I am loving London city fully, and think that we, spaniards need to learn many things:

For example:

- Clients care attention

- Respect to queues

-Thanks, please, I am sorry, excuse me

- Lower tone of voice

..... they might seem trivial things but they are so necessary and important for the day/to day living together.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
03 Apr 2009 12:46 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Don't worry about it Maria, otherwise you will become like me forever apologising "sorry,sorry,sorry". You will notice it on the Siesta Show. As a Gibraltarian, Justin gets so annoyed with me.

Susan

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Now earn post retirement - 1 posts
market - 0 posts
SCHOOLS NEAR LOS ALTOS - 11 posts
atlas - 1 posts
Is there a gallery of general photos on this site - 1 posts
i know of a FREE SITE for 1st 50 not advetisement justin just info - 0 posts
has anyone been approached by an airline company? - 8 posts
Google Street View. - 1 posts
Duquesa Buses - 2 posts
Catastro -v- Escritura - 1 posts
Five changing frequencies...possible problems - 3 posts
kids bicycles - 4 posts
Settling in. - 7 posts
Digger & driver for hire (Mazarron Area) - 0 posts
Nearly new Funiture pack - 2 posts
Bouncy Castle for sale. - 5 posts
air conditioning - 5 posts
The Wok Buffet - 6 posts
1 bed apartment wanted Manilva/Duquesa area - 2 posts
Looking for a housekeeping job - 0 posts
Andalucia Lifestyle - 4 posts
Which one are you..........???! - 1 posts
Looking for a Cleaner - 0 posts
Search and new site problems - 10 posts
Earth Hour Saturday 28th March 2009 - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 27

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x