Car prices in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
23 Jan 2009 12:00 AM by elporton Star rating. 21 posts Send private message

Both new and used car prices are falling in the UK. Is the same happening here?

Like 0      
23 Jan 2009 2:27 PM by edna Star rating. 23 posts Send private message

ARE THERE ANY CAR MARKETS/AUCTIONS IN SPAIN, (MURCIA AREA )?   USED CARS LOOK EXPENSIVE IN COMPARISON TO UK!

Like 0      
23 Jan 2009 2:36 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

We´ve started looking around for cars.  We have found that second hand cars are very expensive here compared to the UK.  They seem to hold their value much better here.

For example, we went to a second hand car place in Manilva and were quoted 9,990 euros for a 2006 Seat Ibiza with 50,000 km on the clock.  That made us think that it would be worth paying a bit more and getting a brand new car.  I actually saw an offer for a brand new Seat Ibiza Sport for 10,850 euros.  Not sure if that included registration fees/taxes.

I´m sure I saw a Ford advert on the TV recently offering 25% off new cars as well.  So it does look like there are some deals on brand new cars.

David

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
23 Jan 2009 7:32 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

2nd hand cars are now (with the ex-rate) even more expensive than before, compared to their UK equivalents. I haven't seen much evidence of any change. New prices also don't look so good compared to the UK now, which is a first! But yes, there are some deals appearing gradually. Details of the 25% discount can be found on Ford.es website. Alfa Romeo have some attractive offers, but, well, Alfas tend to depreciate quicker than Florida holiday homes or bank share prices.

Edna, yes there are auctions, in fact British Car Auctions operate here Don't know anything more about them, though. Sorry.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
13 Feb 2009 10:09 PM by Acapulco Star rating in Costa Blanca South.. 342 posts Send private message

Acapulco´s avatar

I have been comparing car prices Spain v UK and the difference seems to be considerable. Problem is though I understand there would be Import duty to pay when bringing a UK purchased car into Spain plus other taxes which would put about 25% on the cost. I think it would still be cheaper to buy a car in the UK but am not sure if it would be cheap enough to make the hassle worthwhile.

Anybody any experience with this?

If you're going through hell keep on going, you might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

Like 0      
14 Feb 2009 12:16 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

The trouble is, left hand drive cars in the UK tend to carry a premium, and if you're thinking of a car for long term use in Spain, you really don't want to be bringing a right hooker over.* Add to that the expense and hassle involved as you rightly point out, and the initial saving may not be significant enough.

* I know, I know, there will be others who claim that they have no problem driving a rhd car in Spain, but frankly, these people worry me. I have driven rhd cars (and larger vehicles with serious blind spots) on the continent, and lhd cars in the UK on plenty of occasions. It's not rocket science, and I'm not incapable / incompetent. BUT, if you are going to be living in Spain permanently and driving here regularly, apart from standing out like a sore thumb (never a good idea in the Wacky Races that are Spanish roads) it's just plain inpractical and incovenient, and compromises your own and other road users safety. Just my HO.

P.S. I noted that new car prices are set to rise in the UK (now that the industry is getting tax payer's money to bail them out) to take advantage of the weak Pound and boost profits - which it won't, because the profit on zero sales is still zero, whatever your retail price is.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
14 Feb 2009 12:22 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Sorry about my last post - bit of a rant and a waffle.

Not sure where you got your info from re: approx cost to import a car being 25%? My understanding is that there is no "import" tax (EU and all that); the tax is actually a registration tax, which is based on the CO2 emissions and the value of the vehicle. Again, no idea what type of car you're after, but you may be interested to know that the tax on vehicles with less than 120 g/km is 0%.

(I still think you're better off buying lhd though!)

Edit: home cinema systems are roughly half the price in the UK than here in Spain, but none of the online retailers I've been looking at deliver outside the UK, so if you ignore my advice and buy a car to bring over, any chance of picking me up a Panasonic SC PT460 on your way?

This message was last edited by Roberto on 2/14/2009.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
14 Feb 2009 10:50 AM by Acapulco Star rating in Costa Blanca South.. 342 posts Send private message

Acapulco´s avatar

Hi Roberto, we would be looking at buying a LHD in the UK.. Would not consider driving a RHD in Spain. You are correct re LHD prices in the UK,.they are ridiculously high. It is the same scenario as you mentioned, if they were cheaper they would sell a lot more and it would definately be worth while shipping to Spain but at the moment it is barely worth the effort.

If you're going through hell keep on going, you might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

Like 0      
16 Feb 2009 5:55 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

FYI, the rest of the CO2 tax rates are as follows:

CO2 emission of less than 120g/Km = 0% of the vehicle value

CO2 emission of between 120-160 g/Km = 4.75% of the vehicle value

CO2 emission of between 160-200g/Km = 9.75% of the vehicle value

CO2 emission of more than 200g/Km = 14.75% of the vehicle
value

May be worth sending a PM to TecNoApe - he bought lhd in the UK prior to moving down recently, and will be re-registering soon. He owned the car for more than 6 months before moving, so may be exempt for tax, but we await his experience with interest......

Mark Twain

Like 0      
21 Feb 2009 1:51 PM by fpegman Star rating in San Miguel De Salina.... 441 posts Send private message

fpegman´s avatar

Why not try British Car Auctions in Alicante the speak english and use the same auctioneers as the UK sites here is the link   bcaaspana  dot  com

Fred

Fred

Overseas Property Company

fred@overseaspropertycompany.com

Real Estate sales - rentals and Lloyds insurance agency.

Like 0      
21 Feb 2009 2:24 PM by elporton Star rating. 21 posts Send private message

We've been over here just a year with our UK RH Drive car - the tax expires next month.

I've noticed a number of UK cars being driven over here still with UK number plates but no UK tax.

Is that legal and if so does the car still have to be registered in the UK.

Like 0      
21 Feb 2009 6:46 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

If you have registered as a resident (which you should have done after 3 months here) then you are already breaking the law by not re-registering the car.

Of course, you can get away with it by denying your residency status, since it's difficult (but certainly not impossible) for anyone to prove how long the car (or you) has been here, but once the tax expires, the vehicle is not road legal ANYWHERE. If it's more than 3 years old, it will also need a UK MoT in order to renew the tax, which you cannot obtain outside the UK.

Yes, unfortunately there are many British reg cars here with no valid tax, which means they are also uninsured (any insurance will be invalidated and claims refused). The owners and drivers of these vehicles are therefore breaking the law and acting irresponsibly, and furthermore giving Brits and other immigrants a bad name. Think of how the British view Eastern European and other immigrants driving dodgy uninsured vehicles in the UK. That's how Spaniards must view these British cars. Shame.

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

We've pulled out - 4 posts
Simo - Peniscola - 0 posts
Cancer - 2 posts
Peñíscola Owners - 3 posts
Maria - need some help can't seem to get any sense from my lawyer - 12 posts
Driving from the UK - 3 posts
Life insurance - 7 posts
Block 37 - 0 posts
First time visit! - 14 posts
Electricity/Water Meters - 8 posts
Boats and Boating Sailing in Spain ! Help required? - 0 posts
Whats your perfect golfing holiday? - 0 posts
Has anybody had any luck with regularising and registering their illegally built house ??? - 4 posts
private schools in costa blanca are now too expensive - 5 posts
Ford Explorer for sale LHD UK plates - 1 posts
Doin the vida loca... - 1 posts
What do YOU want out of a Property Management company - 2 posts
advice needed - 3 posts
maintanance fees in the Costa del Sol - 3 posts
TV, Internet & Telephone via Satellite - 5 posts
Wanted, long-term rental Altea - 0 posts
cheapest place to buy terrace furnature - 6 posts
Stack of old computers. - 0 posts
Driving to Guardamar from the South Coast, quickest and cheapest route? - 2 posts
Oh the joys of living in the country... - 12 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x