Internet Explorer security alert

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 Dec 2008 12:00 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Alert from the BBC News site:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7784908.stm

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
16 Dec 2008 3:27 PM by ayrez Star rating in La Marina Oasis. 379 posts Send private message

Thanks very much.

Like 0      
17 Dec 2008 12:53 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I have been using IE for so long that I'm just used to it, but have decided to switch to Firefox, which I've had installed for ages anyway, because this bug sounds pretty worrying.

With IE, I've been using the Google tool bar, which includes a spell checker, but since FF has so many useful add-ons, I don't need Google's tool bar - except, for some reason, the FF spell checker (dictionary) doesn't seem to work on this site. Anyone know why?

(I apologise for any spelling errors - it's NOT MY FAULT!)

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
17 Dec 2008 5:39 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

And another thing.....has anyone else noticed that my monkey's head shakes faster in FF than IE? Why is that, then?

Mark Twain

Like 0      
21 Dec 2008 3:47 PM by formentera costa Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

As i am a bit of a noice on the computer AND still using internet

explorer can anyone tell me what is the procedure to change to

firefox. Also will all my settings be carried over to firefox or will I

need to start from scratch. TOLD YOU I WAS A NOVICE

coolyes

Like 0      
21 Dec 2008 3:51 PM by Nati Star rating in Manilva (Costa del .... 237 posts Send private message

Formentera,

I use firefox and is much more secure than internet explorer. I guess you can download it from internet. I am not sure about the settings as my husband did it all but I will ask him as soon as I can.

Ana

Ana Sánchez. PGCE, MA & BA(Hons)

Teaching and Translation Services

Like 0      
21 Dec 2008 3:59 PM by scampi Star rating in London & Alfaix nr. .... 91 posts Send private message

scampi´s avatar

If you have favourites on IE you can import these to FF. However, cookies do not transfer so you will need to re-enter passwords, etc. Can be a bit of an irritation at first. Also FF is not perfect - in my experinece most browsers are pretty much of a muchness. PS the IE problem is now fixed as long as you install updates regularly. Patch was issued a few days ago

Like 0      
21 Dec 2008 4:25 PM by formentera costa Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

Hi SCAMPI AND NATI

thanks for the replies, if internet explorer is now okay

I will probably just leave it as I do not want to mess up

my computer by changing if it is not necessary now.!!

coolyes

Like 0      
21 Dec 2008 8:21 PM by scampi Star rating in London & Alfaix nr. .... 91 posts Send private message

scampi´s avatar

Just make sure you install the IE security patch otherwise your browser will remain vulnerable

Like 0      
22 Dec 2008 3:46 PM by formentera costa Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

Hi Scampi,

What is the internet explorer security patch.????

told you I was a novice.

coolyes

Like 0      
22 Dec 2008 3:56 PM by scampi Star rating in London & Alfaix nr. .... 91 posts Send private message

scampi´s avatar

We/ve all been there! 

1. Go to your Control Panel

2. Click on Security where it says 'Check for updates' - this will find any updates you need to install - including the recent one. you click install and wait until they are all done. If you have not been doing tis regularly it may take a while.

3. If you open the Security section there is an option to get windows to download and install all updates for you. It is possible your PC is already set to do this. If not you should do this.

Good luck

Like 0      
22 Dec 2008 4:15 PM by formentera costa Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

Hi Scampi,

have been into my control panel and my system

is full protected and up to date.

THANKS.

coolyes

Like 0      
22 Dec 2008 6:57 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

If you want to try Firefox, just to compare, you can download it from here You can keep Internet Explorer, so if you don't like FF you can just go back to using IE anyway. As Scampi says, they're much of a muchness in everyday use. You'll notice little differences (such as favourites are called bookmarks in FF) and in time, as I have, you may discover other differences that enable you to customize it to suit your pesonal preferences. I believe very much in the mantra "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", so now that the security problem with IE is supposedly resolved, you may wish to stick with what you know. But I always find it interesting to try out new programs, and it's a good way to learn more about your PC.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
23 Dec 2008 2:41 AM by djrickyb Star rating in Lanzarote. 25 posts Send private message

djrickyb´s avatar

Hi all

This is my first regular post but I thought I could add something.

IE has long had problems and is a frequent target for hackers whereas Firefox is definately a lot more secure.

However it is not perfect.

Have a look at a, free, program called Sandboxie. (Google it)

It basically let's you surf online in a "virtual" environment.

There is a good article from Wikipedia explains it quite well. Just search for Sandboxie.

As I'm new I can't add direct links.

Since installing it 7 or 8 months ago I have not had a single infection.

Hope this helps someone.

Regards

Rick.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Any Info ? - 4 posts
Spanish Language Lessons - 0 posts
Proxy Votes - 7 posts
Importing a car into Spain - 8 posts
Non Resident buying a car in Spain - 5 posts
municipal swimmingpool - 11 posts
estate agent - 0 posts
Help us choose our TV logo - 29 posts
Currency dilemma - 116 posts
Auditor Resigns over missing cash receipts - 9 posts
Green Mould - 3 posts
Spanish Recipe - 8 posts
Rent Increase: what is allowed - 7 posts
Planning permission and "finca rustica" - 0 posts
TDT - 26 posts
Christmas quiz - ho ho ho - 21 posts
christmas opening times - 1 posts
Any info on going personally bankrupt in Spain? - 2 posts
Title under the stars.... - 5 posts
Thumbs Up! - 3 posts
Big Dish Little Dish Rebroadcasting where to next - 6 posts
Buying in villamartin - 15 posts
Heirs of Inheritance - 4 posts
Hi - 5 posts
New Years Eve - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 14

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x