Importing a car into Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Dec 2008 12:00 AM by advisor Star rating in London most of the t.... 311 posts Send private message

A cunning plan as Baldrick might say!

Ok, I can purchase a top of the range BMWX5 properly fully loaded from Florida for circa $10,000 , to ship it to Spain is circa $4,000 , my underatanding is that import tax is 10%-BUT (big but) 10% of what as if it is of the value of the car it is my opinion that the value is the amount thati purchased it for ie $10,000 which would eman the following;

purchase at $10,000

ship              $  4,000

tax                $   1, 000

so 3 yr old left hand drive tank at $15,000us however someone else has told me that the import tax will be the value as decided by Spanish customs?

Any guidance would be helpful.

Nobody plans to fail, many fail to plan, sadly the result is the same.

Like 0      
16 Dec 2008 6:40 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I would strongly suggest seeking professional advice, as it is likely to be complicated. US specs are different to EU ones, and before you can register the vehicle here, you would probably need to get "type approval", or whatever it's called here. The taxes due will almost certainly be based on the value given by the Spanish authorities. In this case, a 3 year old X5 4.4i auto, for example, has a 2008 equivalent value of €56,300 according to here, but you can apply a depreciation value of 56% for vehicles more than 3, but less than 4 years old (see here) So that would give you a taxable base of €31,528. I imagine this is the figure you'd be looking at using for import tax. And then I believe you will pay matricualtion (registration) tax, based on the CO2 emissions. The scale is as follows:

CO2 emission of less than 120g/Km = 0% of the vehicle value

CO2 emission of between 120-160 g/Km = 4.75% of the vehicle value

CO2 emission of between 160-200g/Km = 9.75% of the vehicle value

CO2 emission of more than 200g/Km = 14.75% of the vehicle value

No doubt tanks come into the last category!

I am not certain of any of the above, so like I said, best to seek profesional advice, but before you get too exited and start importing them on a commercial scale thinking you're going to get rich, remember that most things that appear too good to be true - usually are. Sorry!

Oh yeah, and by the way, i think it would be more PC to be looking for a Toyota Prius!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
16 Dec 2008 8:00 PM by advisor Star rating in London most of the t.... 311 posts Send private message

Roberto

quality reply many thanks, new Baldricks cunning plan woul dhave a fault somewhere along the lines! Was bringing in for myself not commercially as I have family in Florida and cars now going for a song over there, spec wise they would have far beter air con than a eurpean model but undersatand waht you mean as i did send a left hand drive jag out to Florida many years ago.

As for the Prius...................nice thought!

Nobody plans to fail, many fail to plan, sadly the result is the same.

Like 0      
16 Dec 2008 9:26 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I think it's a great idea, nevertheless, and would be very interested to hear if you take it further and if so, how it pans out. Even bringing a car from the UK could make sense now, with the exchange rate as it is. But 10 thousand bucks for a 3 year old X5 - wow! They must be literally giving away Broncos etc.? Mind you, soon you'll be able to buy a nice villa with pool for the same dosh!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
17 Dec 2008 10:50 AM by ayrez Star rating in La Marina Oasis. 379 posts Send private message

From what I remember (few years since I  retired) The value for duty also included the shipping costs and insurance. It is quite complicated to calculate the value for duty. There is also Vat to pay.

Not sure if procedure is the same in Spain but as it is also EC would think so.  May be worth checking with HMRC. There is a Public Notice covering value for customs duty  No 252 if you are interested. You won´t be if you try to read it. lol.

Jean

Like 0      
17 Dec 2008 10:52 AM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Don't forget guys that I purchased my UK registered 2002 BMW 325i SE Touring IN the UK six months ago and have brought it to Spain with me.

Had it serviced and MOT'd in the UK two weeks before our arrival in Spain and the emissions are .... well .... what emissions! Clean as a whistle!

Have had LHD Headlamp units fitted to it in the UK the week before we left, at a cost of £500 and then didn't drive it anywhere until it go here.

Still whatever happens I need to get it re-reg'd onto Spanish plates and it would appear that if I get my Padron AND I get the car ITV'd and re-reg'd within 30 days of getting my Padron, theory is that I SHOULD NOT PAY any matriculation tax as I've owned the car for MORE than six months.

Also, looking at Roberto's table as an example, then I shouldn't any matriculation tax anyway.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
21 Sep 2009 3:17 PM by lifeline Star rating in Murcia. 365 posts Send private message

lifeline´s avatar

We are currently registering our UK car on to Spanish plates and have read all the info here.

The mechanic fixing our fog light at the moment tells us we have 60 days to complete all this before we are liable for import tax.

Until now we thought we had only 30 days after being on the padron to do this. 

Does anyone know whether it is 30 or 60 days? (nothing to do with the 6 months)

Daveil

Like 0      
21 Sep 2009 4:30 PM by roddy1 Star rating in Leeds/ Balsicas. 250 posts Send private message

roddy1´s avatar

Hi Advisor

Early this year I looked into buying an american car, at very good price but after a research it was going to be load of hassle. Main problem it requres a a SVA test (Single Vehicle Approval) costs where £200.00 loads of red tape only very limited number garages can carry out test, about 6 in UK & that's before you start with spanish import tax etc. Please let me know how you get on!  

Like 0      
22 Sep 2009 8:19 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

I am just nearing completion of my re-plating; a Ford Mondeo. It has worked out a bit more expensive than I thought. The headlights cost €273 (not bad). My tow bar had to come off (€20). Fortunately the rear brakes lights are both sides so no extra needed there. Likewise my reversing lights: I have them on both sides.

The car failed its ITV ( but would have failed in the UK ). Not a big deal but I thought €145 for two front tyres by the same maker a bit pricey. Brakes cost me €100. Gestoria fees. €200. ITV €90. Re-test €22. Import tax was avoidable but  ... it seems that to get a bajo ( which exempts you ) from the British consul costs €150 so that would have effectively ruled that one out.

Road Tax €40. Enginners Report €80 . . . .

Fortunately I hold an Irish passport too and the Irish Consul charges just €30. A saving of €103.

Back of envelope: All in all the cost will be €1085 plus insurance, and that was supposed to be at cost. Mind you; would have cost a lot more for a Spanish plated car in similar condition.

This message was last edited by mike_walsh on 22/09/2009.

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Non Resident buying a car in Spain - 5 posts
municipal swimmingpool - 11 posts
estate agent - 0 posts
Help us choose our TV logo - 29 posts
Currency dilemma - 116 posts
Auditor Resigns over missing cash receipts - 9 posts
Green Mould - 3 posts
Spanish Recipe - 8 posts
Rent Increase: what is allowed - 7 posts
Planning permission and "finca rustica" - 0 posts
TDT - 26 posts
Christmas quiz - ho ho ho - 21 posts
christmas opening times - 1 posts
Any info on going personally bankrupt in Spain? - 2 posts
Title under the stars.... - 5 posts
Thumbs Up! - 3 posts
Big Dish Little Dish Rebroadcasting where to next - 6 posts
Buying in villamartin - 15 posts
Heirs of Inheritance - 4 posts
Hi - 5 posts
New Years Eve - 5 posts
Is The The Tide Turning - 24 posts
CHRISTMAS 'SWEETIE' QUIZ.................give it a go ! ! ! - 40 posts
Compound archery set - 0 posts
Radio 2 - Jeremy Vine - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x