Any Info ?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 Dec 2008 12:00 AM by Gorth1 Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

Is it normal procedure to lodge your holding deposit with your estate agent as we have not found a solicitor yet

Like 0      
16 Dec 2008 8:53 AM by TP1 Star rating in Milton Keynes and Ca.... 161 posts Send private message

Apparently yes .... well I hope so because i have!!

But seriously this seems to be the norm ... an initial holding deposit of approx 3000e followed by 10% within a couple of weeks (all paid to the Estate Agent to be held in their Customer Account? I think).

The 3000e is no refundable unless there is something wrong with the property i.e. An illegal extension or something.  

Once the 10% is paid neither party can pull out without incurring costs ... the buyer if they change their mind lose the 10% to the seller.  Whereas the seller has to pay 20% to the buyer if they change their mind.

Hope this helps.

Like 0      
16 Dec 2008 9:04 AM by Gorth1 Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

thanks for that information, hard to know what is the norm when buying in a different country.

Like 0      
16 Dec 2008 9:22 AM by TP1 Star rating in Milton Keynes and Ca.... 161 posts Send private message

Yes I know ... it is a very worrying time.

My Estate agent was desparate for me to complete this week ... I was panicking and now I find the vendors will not be ready until mid January ... lucky I did not book up for Christmas as we had planned!!!

I think the main thing is to make sure there are no outstanding finance on the property  (i.e. The utility bills have been paid up to date, the local taxes have been paid and any mortgage cleared) before you sign at the Notary.  Also if you are purchasing off a non Spanish person that 5% (I think) is held back to cover the Capital Gains Tax liabilities of the vendor.  Hopefully your lawyer should do all this but be careful as I have heared the Spanish Lawyers may  not be as thorough as we assume UK lawyers to be.

Good luck.

Ps. Anything I have missed anyone??

This message was last edited by TP1 on 12/16/2008.

This message was last edited by TP1 on 12/16/2008.

Like 0      
29 Jan 2009 8:24 PM by coleen Star rating. 84 posts Send private message

Gorth1,

Please make sure you go to a solicitor.  I hope it is not to late to say that to you.  I say this as someone who didn't and who is busy falling fast into a deep hole.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Spanish Language Lessons - 0 posts
Proxy Votes - 7 posts
Importing a car into Spain - 8 posts
Non Resident buying a car in Spain - 5 posts
municipal swimmingpool - 11 posts
estate agent - 0 posts
Help us choose our TV logo - 29 posts
Currency dilemma - 116 posts
Auditor Resigns over missing cash receipts - 9 posts
Green Mould - 3 posts
Spanish Recipe - 8 posts
Rent Increase: what is allowed - 7 posts
Planning permission and "finca rustica" - 0 posts
TDT - 26 posts
Christmas quiz - ho ho ho - 21 posts
christmas opening times - 1 posts
Any info on going personally bankrupt in Spain? - 2 posts
Title under the stars.... - 5 posts
Thumbs Up! - 3 posts
Big Dish Little Dish Rebroadcasting where to next - 6 posts
Buying in villamartin - 15 posts
Heirs of Inheritance - 4 posts
Hi - 5 posts
New Years Eve - 5 posts
Is The The Tide Turning - 24 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x