Spanish Recipe

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Dec 2008 12:00 AM by cuz Star rating in Warwickshire and Lo.... 685 posts Send private message

cuz´s avatar

Hi Everyone

I know we have some very nice Spanish ladies that read these threads,  so could  one of you please tell me the traditional Spanish way of making alioli?  I have made it once but I used extra virgin olive oil and I think it may be too strong, also the recipe I followed had an egg yolk in it.  It was passable but not as nice as I have had in tapas bars.

Martyn and June xx

Like 0      
14 Dec 2008 11:13 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Hi June,

Have you done a google search?  There are a few recipies for alioli how to do the sauces as well.  But you could be right there might  be a missing ingredient.

It has made me feel hungry better go to bed before I start eating.

Pat

Like 0      
15 Dec 2008 3:10 PM by sterling Star rating in Kent & Partaloa, Alm.... 206 posts Send private message

Hi Cuz,

I was told that it is best to use mashed potato & lots of garlic with olive oil for a really fluffy Alioli. I haven't tried it though!! Sounds odd

Like 0      
15 Dec 2008 5:26 PM by Ricman Star rating in Hellin, Castilla La .... 104 posts Send private message

Hi,  I have just found this recipe for you on the internet.  Hope it helps.  Regards Mandy

This sauce originated in Cataluna and has spread all over Spain. The name comes from the Catalan words for the two main ingredients all (garlic) and oli (oil). It is quick, easy and very flavorful, so it is easy to understand why it is so popular in Spain. Serve it with meats, fish, or vegetables - or just spread it on bread. The Spanish also use it as an ingredient in main course recipes. This recipe makes about 1 cup and uses 2 egg yolks.

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 00 hours, 00 minutes

Ingredients:

• 4 medium to large garlic cloves
  • salt to taste
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 1 cup extra virgin Spanish olive oil

Preparation:

This garlic mayonnaise recipe makes approximately 1 1/2 cups.

Peel and mince the garlic. Using the flat side of a large knife, crush the garlic. Place in a small mortar and pestle and add ½ tsp salt and smash into a paste.

An alternative to save time is to use a good garlic press that peels and mashes the garlic in one step. Either way, you can use a mortar and pestle to mash the garlic into a paste.

Crack the eggs and separate the yolks into a small mixing bowl. Transfer the garlic paste to the bowl and whisk to blend. With a hand mixer on low speed, slowly pour in the olive oil in a THIN, steady stream until a creamy sauce forms. Add the touch of lemon juice slowly at the end, while keeping the mixer on to ensure that the sauce stays smooth.

The traditional version of this sauce did not have egg yolks, but the yolks make it easier to whip.

Like 0      
15 Dec 2008 9:18 PM by cuz Star rating in Warwickshire and Lo.... 685 posts Send private message

cuz´s avatar

Many thanks for the replies so far

I have done a search for the recipe and as you can see, you get different variations, that's why I thought it would be good getting it from  a Spanish lady, or someone who has already perfected it.

Mandy, yours is a bit like the recipe that I already followed but I think I only used one egg yolk.  Do you think it would just be difficult to blend if you don't use the egg?

Interesting one about the mashed potato Sterling, it reminds me of when we were in Cadiz and we asked for alioli, and we got potatoes covered in alioli. Still nice though.

Think it may be a case of keep experimenting and see what comes up.  It would be great to get it just right though, cos we love it

Martyn and June xx

Like 0      
15 Aug 2009 1:05 PM by llamacalmer Star rating in Surrey & La Torre. 318 posts Send private message

llamacalmer´s avatar

I've just been to Waitrose and found they now sell Alioli, the same as you get in the yellow tubs in Spain.  Came back with 5 tubs this morning!!

R
osemary

Owner of  8 stray Spanish mutts

Like 0      
15 Aug 2009 3:39 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

I've bought it in the UK too but can't remember whether it was Tesco or Morrisons. As an alternative I often just add some crushed garlic to Hellmans, delish!

Regards, Poppyseed

Poppyseed

Like 0      
15 Aug 2009 8:33 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

We bought alioli in Tesco's.

Like 0      
16 Aug 2009 1:11 AM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

I refer you to my reply of May 29th this year.  Morrisons have allioli.  As an aside, the price has gone up quite steep in Spain from 73c in May to 97c last week(Consum and Carrefour).  The 99p in Morrisons doesn't seem so bad now.

Second aside-is there an NHS program to wean one off the addiction to this stuff?  My daughter brought back 5 tubs of the stuff.

Third aside - couldn't find it in Tescos today.  SWMBO made some using the recipe I posted earlier and it was delish....Never stuck mashed potatoes in it, though.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Rent Increase: what is allowed - 7 posts
Planning permission and "finca rustica" - 0 posts
TDT - 26 posts
Christmas quiz - ho ho ho - 21 posts
christmas opening times - 1 posts
Any info on going personally bankrupt in Spain? - 2 posts
Title under the stars.... - 5 posts
Thumbs Up! - 3 posts
Big Dish Little Dish Rebroadcasting where to next - 6 posts
Buying in villamartin - 15 posts
Heirs of Inheritance - 4 posts
Hi - 5 posts
New Years Eve - 5 posts
Is The The Tide Turning - 24 posts
CHRISTMAS 'SWEETIE' QUIZ.................give it a go ! ! ! - 40 posts
Compound archery set - 0 posts
Radio 2 - Jeremy Vine - 2 posts
FORWARD CONTRACTS - 7 posts
Fincas wanted - 0 posts
Old school photos - 10 posts
Christmas lights - 2 posts
Hi all, and advice please... - 2 posts
UCI Bank - Help! - 6 posts
Ryanair to close routes from Fuerteventura in the New Year - 1 posts
ethical problem - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x