General personal Spanish Tax

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Feb 2007 12:00 AM by westport Star rating in London & Co.Mayo Ire.... 509 posts Send private message

Guide to personal income tax in Spain

Taxes are inevitable, sadly. Here are details of the one you are most likely to face - personal income tax.

General information
Non-residents' income tax liability
Residents' tax liability
Tax base
When to file your income tax declaration
Where to file your income tax declaration
Deductive expenses
Wealth tax

General information

Personal Income Tax (Impuesto sobre la renta de las personas físicas/IRPF) is a direct tax levied on the income of individuals.

The individual's income may come either from work as an employee or by means of self-employment — development of a business or professional activities.

Taxable income is determined as the difference between the income earned and the expenses that are deductible according with the Spanish law.

At the moment, only those individuals earning more than EUR 21,035.42 a year in Spain are obliged to make the income tax declaration. Declarations above this amount carry a progressive tax structure.

The tax period coincides with the calendar year.

This tax is assessed differently for residents and non-residents in Spain.

Non-residents' income tax liability

Non-residents are liable for tax on any income arising in Spain, such as a money deposit with a Spanish bank, a property in Spain, or income derived of any business in Spain.

Property owners are taxed on their property income, the tax base is the property catastral value (valor catastral), which can be found on any I.B.I receipt. Tax base rate is 25 percent of a 2 percent of the cadastral value. 

Should you fail to pay this tax, you will be charged by the Spanish Tax Agency if you try to sell it.

Residents' tax liability

If you are Spanish resident you are taxed on your worldwide income. You may deduct your income tax paid in your home country.

Double tax treaties are in place to avoid double-taxation. When there is no treaty with your country of origin, you may deduct the foreign tax paid. Foreign compensation may also be applied. Your Spanish lawyer may be able to calculate this amount for you.

Non-residents living more than 183 days in Spain are considered as residents for tax purposes, even if they have not obtained their residence permit.

Tax base

The income tax base may be determined in two different ways: direct evaluation or objective evaluation.

Direct evaluation

This method will be applicable to business and professional activities performed by the taxpayer that are not subject to the objective evaluation, either because that method is not applicable or, when applicable, because the taxpayer filed a waiver.

Net income will be computed as the difference between the assessable income and the deductible expenses.

Simplified direct evaluation

This method is applied to some business and professional activities, which are subject to ordinary direct evaluation and which turnover during the previous year did not exceed EUR 601,020.21.

The taxpayer may file a waiver in the month of December before he or she wishes its effects arisen,. These effects will last for three years.

Net income will be computed as the difference between the assessable income and the deductible expenses.

Objective evaluation

This method is applicable to the income resulting from those business and professional activities which the Spanish Tax Ministry appoints.

The taxpayer may file a waiver in the month of December before commencing a new tax period. The waiver effects will last for three years.

Net income is computed by applying standard methods that the Spanish Tax Ministry determines.

When to file your income tax declaration

If contributors must pay, tax declarations must be filed from 1 May to 20 June. If contributors are entitled to tax refund, then this period will be extended to 30 June.

Where to file your income tax declaration

Income tax declarations must be filed with the tax office appropriate to the contributor's address.

Contributors also have the possibility to file their tax declaration to the Spanish bank where they have an account, provided that they are entitled to tax refund or shall make any payment as a result of their tax declaration.

Deductive expenses

Certain deductible expenses, such as medicines, deductions for dependants, amounts paid for the purchase of a home or accounts opened for that purpose (Cuentas vivienda) may be claimed in the annual tax returns.

Employers must provide employees with a certificate of taxes withheld (Certificado de Retenciones) in order that they can subtract them to calculate their tax obligation. Payments into the Spanish Social Security System can be deducted.

Wealth tax

Along with the Personal Income Tax, Spanish resident and non-resident property owners are also liable to Wealth Tax (Impuesto sobre el Patrimonio). They should declare for both taxes at the same time.

Wealth tax is a direct tax levied on your assets and property located in Spain as at 31 December of every year.

Provided that taxpayers' principal wealth is normally their home, most of resident taxpayers do not pay this tax as the first EUR 108,182.18 is exempted. However, non-resident property owners are always taxed on their assets located in Spain (car, houses, bank accounts etc).

The value of the house to be declared is the official cadastral value which can be found on any I.B.I receipt, the amount you have deposited in a Spanish bank is the average cleared balance over the previous year.

Tax Rates are progressive depending on the type of property, ranging from 0.20 to 0.50 percent according to the Spanish law applicable; national or regional law.

These are only general guidelines and not definitive statements of the law. All questions about the law's applications to individual cases shall be directed to a Spanish lawyer.

Article by iAbogado Servicios Jurídicos SL (Madrid, Spain). Visit www.SpainLawyer.com for more original content like this.

Like 0      
11 Apr 2007 10:55 PM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

I am attempting to judge whether my wife and I will be better off residing in Spain or the UK for tax purposes.  We will be retired by the time we move and our income will not be high.  We will retain property in the UK and own property in Spain.  We will of course also own a car etc.

I can work out exactly what would be due in the UK under George (blood from a stone) Brown, but how would I fare in comparison if I were to take up residency, declare all my income and pay tax in Spain?

Anyone have any ideas?

Like 0      
13 Apr 2007 12:27 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Excellent post Westport, thank you for all of the information.

If anyone would like to buy a guide to paying thier own taxes in Spain (Non Resident), AND help swell a little gilr's fund who has Neuroblstoma, buy one of my guides.

Justin knows about this promotion to Emma's fund and has allowed me to post on EOS.

Visit Emma's website:

www.babyemma.co.uk

I don't "push" this Guide, it generally sells itself!

PM me or visit my webiste.................

Kind regards,

Kind regards,

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
13 Apr 2007 12:49 AM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Xetog legally for tax purposes itr depends on where you spend most of the time. In the eyes of the Spanish authorities you will be tax resident if you live here more than 183 days of the year and then global income and assets are subject to Spanish tax laws.Get a copy of David Searles book you and the law in Spain and it should give you most of what you need to know but it is far from as simple as you deciding where you choose to pay tax

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
13 Apr 2007 3:32 PM by rosi n Star rating in Cornwall / axarquia. 119 posts Send private message

Hi  Xetog   Concerning  the best place to be resident we tried to work it out  a few years ago for us at the time  Spain came off  worse  as regards taxes  as you have to declare everything you have  even the gold bars under the bed as David Searle said in his books, the book is good as Smiley said but its not easy to work out there are so many ifs & buts you also have to get Gorden Browns Tax Men to release you from there BIG net  some people find that easy  others not so easy to cut loose , just as some  info, if you have a crown service pension they will always tax you in the uk ( thats a pension thats paid from the gov. not the normal old age pension.) I wish you all the best trying to work it out.   _Smiley  I expect your reading this  did you notice in the letter from westport  it said that as a NON RESIDENT you had to pay TAX on a deposit account  this must be new if that information is correct as in the past (3 years ago) a non resident had a different account  to a resident and no tax  was held by the bank  but you had to tell the tax man here the details I just wonder if that info is new/ correct .     Regards to all Rosi n                                                                                                                                

Like 0      
13 Apr 2007 10:28 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Hi Rosi to my knowledge you are correct about non resident accounts - thats why every 2 years the bank will request proof of UK residency to comply with Hacienda requirements

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
20 Jun 2007 8:47 PM by alanwspencer Star rating in Hertfordshire/Duques.... 340 posts Send private message

alanwspencer´s avatar

Can someone please make clear to me what the tax liability is on rentals? Is the 25% of a 2% Catastral Value paid AS  WELL AS 25% of rentals.If so is there a ceiling amount of income before you are liable. Hope this makes sense.

Alan

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

employment - 0 posts
new properties being built in the alicnte province are getting smaller? - 0 posts
Dream Hills 2 Forum - 1 posts
MAR Y SOL FORMENTERA DEL SEGURA - 10 posts
Cheap airport parking at Alicante - 3 posts
Technical Architect / Building Surveyor - 1 posts
Italy - 2 posts
Communal Areas - 10 posts
Can anyone help - 2 posts
Funny Videos you have to giggle at. - 255 posts
ADVICE NEEDED ON CHOOSING AN AREA TO LIVE - 11 posts
Cheap furniture packages - 34 posts
psi lawyers? - 21 posts
Apartment for rent - 1 posts
Lounge/Patio door curtains, free - Costa Blanca, 10 mins South of Torreveija - 9 posts
Where's Tinasolero ? - 3 posts
Shakira in concert in Torrevieja - 15 posts
Barclays Buying Property Abroad Guide - 1 posts
WHO'S UP FOR A MEET, POST HERE ! - 109 posts
Saladillo golf - 1 posts
The Best Place To Hide Money: Conversation With A Burglar - 0 posts
Help - scared and frustrated re mortgages - 6 posts
Scared and frustrated re mortgages - 13 posts
Osteopath in Torreveija or surrounding areas - Costa Blanca? - 0 posts
La Cala de Mijas Marina - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x