HealthCare Dillema

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 Oct 2008 12:00 AM by pknott Star rating in Costa Blanca. 142 posts Send private message

pknott´s avatar
All...need some's my scenario..(University Challenge..starter for 10)

Employed in Ireland or UK (living in Spain < 183) days

If you are paying full NI in Irl or UK can you claim for full healthcare under the public system if you have your EHIC card?

If you cannot, then does this apply to all family members, ie children under age of 18?

Or do you take out health care from a private insurer?


Always prepare to change and be the best you can.... Read my Blog...

Like 0      
24 Oct 2008 4:41 PM by Diane and Joe Star rating in Sheffield. 152 posts Send private message

Diane and Joe´s avatar


I may be wrong but I thought that the EHIC was only for emergency medical treatment in Europe under a reciprocal agreement.  It does not, as I understand it, cover you for very much, that's why we still have to have travel insurance when we go to Europe.  

Some Spanish hospitals will, for example, treat dialysis patients under the EHIC agreement, others will not.

It would be useful to know exactly what is covered by the EHIC.


Like 0      
24 Oct 2008 10:44 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2256 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

This message was last edited by bobaol on 10/31/2008.

Like 0      
27 Jan 2009 2:22 PM by jenken Star rating. 28 posts Send private message

I thought others might find it helpful if I outlined our experiences of Health Care regulations in Spain.

The E111 is for those on holiday in Spain on a short term basis. It covers emergency health care, including minor ailments that can be dealt with in a Spanish Government funded Health Centre or hospital. You will need to take a photocopy of both your passport and the numbers side of your EHIC card along with you. It does not cover any repatriation costs or nursing costs that you might incur on your return flight home. Hence the need for additional travel insurance. 

Those who are working in Spain will qualify for Spanish health care once they start paying conttributions into the Spanish health care system.

For those taking early retirement and moving to Spain on a permanent basis, an E106 can be applied for from the Department of Work and Pensions in Newcastle. This will be current for a maximum period of two years after early retirement depending on your contributions record. This will need to be taken along with your passport and NIE number, and in some areas your empadronamiento registration, to the Seguridad Social Office for the area. They will stamp your form so that you can then take it along to your local Health Centre to register. This registration will cover illnesses dealt with by the Health Centre or emergency treatment in a hospital. It will not cover referral to a Spanish  consultant, for this you will need to apply to Work and Pensions for an E112 . During the period that your E106 is current you will still qualify for NHS health care back in England.

Once your E106 expires you will need to take out private health Insurance until such time as you or your spouse reaches state pension age in England. You can then apply for an E121 which you deal with in exactly the same way as you do for an E106, however you will also receive a tarjeta, the Spanish Health card. If your spouse is below pensionable age they will also qualify for free Spanish Health Care as your dependent. You should also insure that you apply for a Spanish version of the E111 at the same time so that you can use this in England should you rquire emergency healthcare when visiting. Remember that it would also be wise to take out Spanish travel insurance as well!

Some areas have schemes such as Helicopteros Sanitarios which operates across the western Costa del Sol. For an annual payment you can obtain medical assistance either at home, at work or at leisure, from an English speaking doctor via an English speaking telephone operator.The Doctor will visit you in situ and diagnose and prescribe and provide ambulance service to hospital if required. Once in hospital you will either have to rely on Spanish health care if you qualify ,or private health care if not.

I've found the Spanish Health System to be responsive and efficient. My one visit to the University Hospital in Malaga took one and a half hours from start to finish and during that time I had blood tests, X-rays and saw three doctors, after which I left with my blood test results, X-rays and a prescription in my hand. What's more the hospital had free car parking!




This message was last edited by jenken on 1/27/2009.

Like 0      
27 Jan 2009 4:35 PM by mr.kevin Star rating in Costa Blanca. 189 posts Send private message

mr.kevin´s avatar

Here in Albatera, Valencia the 106 form will get you a temporary SIP card which lasts for 6 months and can be updated in your local health centtre. All patients here have had access to all types of treatment and consultations.

Once the 106 has run out, we are still being given temporary SIP cards as the Valencian government has not made up it's mind if it wants to stop them or not.

I believe if you work and pay NI in the UK, you can get a form from Newcastle which will get you a SIP card,for you and your dependents in Spain, sorry I don't know the form number, look on the relevent web page.

Like 0      
28 Jan 2009 8:04 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9349 posts Send private message

Legal Questions? Speak to Maria Direct

Welcome in Jenken. Great post.

You may find this blogpost interesting reading:


Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA



El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Part exchange deals - 5 posts
The Emperor´s new cloth - 3 posts
Removals/Man with Van - 2 posts
New podcast posted on Bravachat - 0 posts
Alicante to Los Alcazares - 3 posts
Tomtom use in Spain ? - 25 posts
plusvalia tax - 8 posts
Painting garden and boundary walls. - 1 posts
swap 3 bed villa in dehesa de campoamor (luxury costa blanca) for house in uk (devon) pref) - 6 posts
Presidency - 6 posts
99 Land Rover Freelander RHD. - 0 posts
Notification of PM - 5 posts
Rentals on EOS - 1 posts
Spanish conversation club - 7 posts
Lubrin - A fairyland of peace in the Heart of Almeria - 0 posts
equestrian direct for all your horse needs - 4 posts
Garrett Ace 250 metal detector - 0 posts
Getting an iphone in Spain - 7 posts
Spirit De Mojacar - 6 posts
Introducing David Allen - Wizardgold, Spondicious and BravaChat - 1 posts
Anyone on twitter? - 1 posts
Audi A4 (T reg) Headlanp casings for sale - 0 posts
Mobile Wireless Connection - 2 posts
selling english property AFTER becoming spanish resident - 0 posts
What are the rules and procedures when a tenant is found? - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x