Getting an iphone in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Oct 2008 12:00 AM by Spondicious Star rating in Sta Cristina d'Aro, .... 15 posts Send private message

Since the 3G iphone came out in July I have been trying to get one and today I may have been successful at last. I went to Girona and was amazed when tey said they were available so much so that I stood in a queue of people at the retail desk. What a palaver though. The computer wouldn't do its stuff and she said come back later because they were soon going to close for the 3 hour lunch break.

I went back in at 5pm expecting I would out fairly soon after with the iphone in my hand. One hour later I am told I still have to wait about 4 days for Vodafone to transfer the number across. She was Ok at getting my number and part of the account into the computer and I thought here we go it will get sorted. Then when it came to put in my wife's number the computer refused to play ball.

I am wondering if I am going to regret moving to Movi star and telefonica, am I going to be beset with problems with the mobile end of things same as I had problems with the fixed line I had with Tele fonica.

It has been bad enough that the shops that on the Telfonica web site should have had the iphone have not had them - Still not seen the iphone in the local shop, which is why I went to Girona 38km away to get the phone.

Like 0      
23 Oct 2008 9:06 AM by whistler Star rating. 76 posts Send private message

I bought an iphone a few months ago (not 3g)......I kept it for a few weeks and sold it. I replaced it with an LG 990 - a far better phone in my opinion. The 3g iphone has addressed some of the issues of the original but it's far from perfect. The new Samsung does all the iphone does and more (it even looks the same).
Anti virus progs don't work on iphone but will on the Samsung as it's Windows based. It's the one I will buy when it becomes available......

Like 0      
23 Oct 2008 9:17 AM by Spondicious Star rating in Sta Cristina d'Aro, .... 15 posts Send private message

Yea the iphone had quite a few improvements with 3G and the latest software.

Good  point about the anti virus not many people know that you don't need the anti virus software on the OSX platform. Another good reason not to buy a Windows based phone. I suppose they will make some antivirus software for the iphone seeing as you can get it for the desktop version of the operating system but it is only there so that you don't pass on the Windows viruses to the Windows users by accident.

I used to hate the days wasted in having to do re installs of WIndows due to the bugs getting in. Most times a re install from a known good clean source is the only way to get your computer back.

Like 0      
23 Oct 2008 9:48 AM by timw Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

I’ve had an iphone for over a year, within weeks of the US release I had one here in Spain.

I was originally on Vodafone and have never had any issues with the original version iphone or the newer 3G version which I now have via Moviestar .

The only difference between the first phone and the second phone is the 3g everything else is the same with regular software updates from Apple, the 3G is a great bonus no matter where you go you can access the internet.

You don’t have anti virus software installed because you don’t need it unlike any windows based software which can be a nightmare.

Once you have an iphone and can understand what it’s capable of you will never, never go back to a normal mobile phone again.

Enjoy

Like 0      
23 Oct 2008 9:51 AM by whistler Star rating. 76 posts Send private message

My iphone had so many issues and some(I was told) were due to viruses.... I also disliked the fact that it wasn't possible to copy sim cards to phone memory. All in all I was very disappointed with it.
I hear what you are saying about Windows based system but Samsung seem to have got this new phone just about right. Then again ,we thought that about the iphone...Have you any experience of HTC?

Like 0      
23 Oct 2008 9:57 AM by Spondicious Star rating in Sta Cristina d'Aro, .... 15 posts Send private message

No I have no experience of the HTC although i hear it is quite a good phone.

With the Sim card to phone memory is that when you want to bring in the contacts from a previous phone? For that I would sync the old phone to the computer with Bluetooth and then I could sync that to the new phone.

Whoever told you that your issues were due to viruses was lying to you, plain and simple. Or perhaps were not well informed themselves.

Like 0      
24 Oct 2008 12:23 PM by whistler Star rating. 76 posts Send private message

Yes, it was possible to copy by sync but it's much easier just to swap sims as I move from one country to the next. I no longer travel so not an issue now anyway.
As to the virus issue...I spoke to a friend who knows about these things and he agrees with what you say.

Like 0      
27 Oct 2008 1:07 PM by Spondicious Star rating in Sta Cristina d'Aro, .... 15 posts Send private message

Still waiting for Vodafone to pass the number over. Might even have to wait until the end of the month as things are going. the Vodafone contract will run until the end of the month anyway.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Spirit De Mojacar - 6 posts
Introducing David Allen - Wizardgold, Spondicious and BravaChat - 1 posts
Anyone on twitter? - 1 posts
Audi A4 (T reg) Headlanp casings for sale - 0 posts
Mobile Wireless Connection - 2 posts
selling english property AFTER becoming spanish resident - 0 posts
What are the rules and procedures when a tenant is found? - 1 posts
What would you like to know about? - 9 posts
WARFARIN BLOOD TESTING - 4 posts
Spanish Re-mortgage - 7 posts
Age limits on Spanish Mortgages - 6 posts
carexchange - 0 posts
PEUGOET 206 1.9D - 1 posts
Sick of sun, sea and sand - 0 posts
Bandits in Green Uniforms - 12 posts
BMW 328i Convertible - 0 posts
Hi I'm New - 5 posts
Renault Laguna Estate 1.9 Diesal for Sale - 0 posts
Any one with family/friends in the armed forces??? - 5 posts
Garden Soil - 0 posts
AMARION III IS NOT AN URBASA PROPERTY NOW. - 0 posts
Working in Spain....Paid in UK or Ireland - 1 posts
moto cross - 0 posts
Where have all the photos gone? - 1 posts
Google Earth pinpoints - 9 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x