Tomtom use in Spain ?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
10 Jan 2013 12:44 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I doubt a car would be broken into just for a GPS any more.

Active, or deactivate !!!

With the almost the highest rate of unemployment in Europe:  If you don’t want to activate a claim for a broken window etc. then don’t leave anything on view in a car

Like 0      
10 Jan 2013 12:45 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

But back in 2008 it was illegal to use a sat-nav , then it wasn't then it changed again. Now it isn't but the speed detection has to be turned off & in France. ( fine there is about 1000 euros. )

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
24 Jan 2013 1:25 AM by KevinW4 Star rating in London/Mojacar Playa. 25 posts Send private message

If you want to use a TomTom (or other satnav) then you'll obviously need one with European maps! Also look for ones that wil use the RDC accessory cable which recieves traffic information as well as being the charger (saves getting the in car charger!)

If you shop around I think Arg*s has a promotion on the Start 60 with a huge 6 inch screen AND includes lifetime map upgrades for £130. The charger/receiver is on *bay for about £25 half the TomTom cost (just make sure you get the compatible usb fitting version!)

In France you aren't allowed to use it to find speed cameras but it does advise those locations as a safety feature. It also warns you of changes in speed limits, onscreen and audibly. I prefer it centrally on the dashboard, so it's just a quick flick as if using the rear view mirror and listen to the voice instructions AND relate them to the road layout ahead - DON'T just blindly follow as sometimes the number of turnings INCLUDES the one you're exiting! 

You'll be in a UK registered car so most drivers are prepared for you to do things "differently" but if in doubt slow down and if you have to, "muscle in" a bit to force the other car to give way. Most do, albeit with a bit of gallic eexpression, and if they don't then you have to give way! No point in casuing an accident, but you have to be able to judge between assertiveness and use common sense. Most drivers seem to think one flick is sufficient for you to know they are changing lane and as a courtesy we generally indicate when we are pulling back in, to both the overtaking car and the one we have just overtaken. Many use cruise control so they only slowly edge up to you, so you need to judge whether to click down or up a notch or two so you can either pass a vehicle in front before he arrives or slow so he gets past before you need to brake.

Just ensure you pack it away out of sight to remove temptation when you stop. You should be fine, it really isn't arduous unless you head right into the heart of Paris or other major towns when you do need eyes in the back of your head!

Enjoy your trip!

Like 0      
11 May 2013 9:15 AM by Nakeshahendry Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

In your opinion what is the wifi jammer used for? Do you have a basic understanding of the knowledge about it? If you want to know more about it, then you can stop your step at jammerall then you will get the information and the knowledge you want.

Like 0      
22 Nov 2013 7:23 AM by cin10dy Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

** EDITED - Against forum rules **

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 11/22/2013 7:50:00 AM.

Like 0      
22 Nov 2013 10:58 AM by Bookerhall Star rating in Mojon Hills. 27 posts Send private message

I have a Tom Tom, which works fine in Spain. Though so does Siri, through maps on my Iphone. Plus I never forget to take my phone when I leave my car.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

plusvalia tax - 8 posts
Painting garden and boundary walls. - 1 posts
swap 3 bed villa in dehesa de campoamor (luxury costa blanca) for house in uk (devon) pref) - 6 posts
Presidency - 6 posts
99 Land Rover Freelander RHD. - 0 posts
Notification of PM - 5 posts
Rentals on EOS - 1 posts
Spanish conversation club - 7 posts
equestrian direct for all your horse needs - 4 posts
Garrett Ace 250 metal detector - 0 posts
Getting an iphone in Spain - 7 posts
Spirit De Mojacar - 6 posts
Introducing David Allen - Wizardgold, Spondicious and BravaChat - 1 posts
Anyone on twitter? - 1 posts
Audi A4 (T reg) Headlanp casings for sale - 0 posts
Mobile Wireless Connection - 2 posts
selling english property AFTER becoming spanish resident - 0 posts
What are the rules and procedures when a tenant is found? - 1 posts
What would you like to know about? - 9 posts
WARFARIN BLOOD TESTING - 4 posts
Spanish Re-mortgage - 7 posts
Age limits on Spanish Mortgages - 6 posts
carexchange - 0 posts
PEUGOET 206 1.9D - 1 posts
Sick of sun, sea and sand - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 26

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x