WARFARIN BLOOD TESTING

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Oct 2008 12:00 AM by BEANO Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

Hi wonder can anyone help me with a query. We are completing on our property in Orihuela Costa next week (Woohoo!!) and my mum is coming over for the week. Her doctor in Dublin has told her that she must get her Warfarin checked during this time. Can anyone tell me if it is easier to go to a private clinic or to the hospital - whichever is the less hassle for her. I am very new on this board but have learned so much over the past year here!!

Like 0      
22 Oct 2008 12:53 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Hi Beano

My mum is on warfarin too and when she comes out to see us we take her to a private clinic for the blood test.  It usually costs about 30 Euros.

However, I can't advise you exactly where to go as I'm based on the Costa del Sol.

I think check out some of the private clinics and see if they can do it.  I think if you go to a general hospital you may find that there can be a delay in getting the results as they often have to send it to the laboratory first.

Best of luck with it.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
22 Oct 2008 6:44 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Firstly, I don't think she will be able to get it done at a public hospital anyway, since the EHIC only covers emergency treatment. Even if she can, she would almost certainly need an appointment, and (in my experience) have to join huge crowds in a chaotic and probably rather unpleasant waiting room and wait for a long time for the test, and then for the result.
Secondly, does she know what her level should be, and what dosage to take accordingly? Without her history, I wonder how a clinic here would be able to advise her anyway. Justin, what happens with your mother?
Finally, just in case you come up against blank stares when asking about Warfarin here, the equivalent is called Sintrom.

I agree with Justin though, find a local private clinic and make some enquiries.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
22 Oct 2008 6:50 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Good point Rob.

My mum has been taking it for 30 years so even though they suggest the amount of warfarin she should take, based on the blood test, she goes by what she knows has worked in the past!  Warfarin patients should carry a card with them anyway showing the history of their medication so another doctor should be able to have a best guess at what the current level of intake should be.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
22 Oct 2008 9:32 PM by BEANO Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

Thank you so much Justin and Roberto. I'll get checking for some private clinics. She will need to have the result so she can ring her clinic in Dublin to advise her what dosage to take so I guess the best route would be the private one. Thanks again guys - appreciate the help. xx

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Spanish Re-mortgage - 7 posts
Age limits on Spanish Mortgages - 6 posts
carexchange - 0 posts
PEUGOET 206 1.9D - 1 posts
Sick of sun, sea and sand - 0 posts
Bandits in Green Uniforms - 12 posts
BMW 328i Convertible - 0 posts
Hi I'm New - 5 posts
Renault Laguna Estate 1.9 Diesal for Sale - 0 posts
Any one with family/friends in the armed forces??? - 5 posts
Garden Soil - 0 posts
AMARION III IS NOT AN URBASA PROPERTY NOW. - 0 posts
Working in Spain....Paid in UK or Ireland - 1 posts
moto cross - 0 posts
Where have all the photos gone? - 1 posts
Google Earth pinpoints - 9 posts
Getting british T.V. stations back. - 31 posts
Mortgages - 4 posts
Car Hire - Gibraltar or La Linea? - 4 posts
murica or almeria airport hotel - 1 posts
Photos - 0 posts
Edinburgh Airport - 0 posts
bmi baby - 0 posts
importing rattan furniture - 0 posts
Abusive bank guarantee - solicitor tells me to accept it! - 24 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x