Google Earth pinpoints

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
19 Oct 2008 12:00 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
I have a Google Earth interactive map on my webpage, but I have had to bring the scale in quite close due to the area not having been updated recently. I would like to add pinpoints to it to show local attractions and such like, but have not quite mastered how to do it. Can anyone give me a "Noddy" guide on how to do it please?

Thanks

Mark

Like 0      
19 Oct 2008 7:57 PM by peteranne Star rating in York & Los Montesino.... 111 posts Send private message

peteranne´s avatar

Hi Mark
zoom  down to the area where you want to put the placemark.
On the toolbar at the top, press the yellow pin with+ above, button.
this puts a pin on the map called "untitled placemark".
place mouse pointer on the yellow pin and hold down the left mouse button and drap to the place you want the pin and let go of mouse button.
A box also appears where you can change the title of the place mark and press ok to finish.

Just post again if you still having problems.

regards

Peter & Anne   -   www.los-montesinos-spain.co.uk

Like 0      
19 Oct 2008 8:04 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Funnily enough, I was just working it out when your reply came through . Hopefully the placemarks will now show on my website when someone looks at it (touchwood) .

Thanks for your help.

Mark

Like 0      
20 Oct 2008 8:21 PM by Cioffi1 Star rating in London & Calahonda . 216 posts Send private message

Cioffi1´s avatar
Mark - your website is fantastic! Did you do it yourself or pay to have it done? I need to start doing something about a site for our apartment but am NOT up to doing myself. Your site covers absolutely everything - one of the best I've seen.

Like 0      
20 Oct 2008 8:42 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
 Aw shucks, thanks for that 

I use a content management system called Joomla which is available from here. It can be a bit tricky to get the hang of, but is pretty easy once you figure out what does what.

I use a free host for the site which gives me all I want, but can be a bit unreliable at times. Take a look at them here and see if they can be of use to you. Once the site has been built, you can take it with you wherever you want to another host. You may as well learn how to use it for free before parting with any cash .

Have fun building your site, I tinker with mine for hours.

Mar

Like 0      
20 Oct 2008 8:56 PM by Cioffi1 Star rating in London & Calahonda . 216 posts Send private message

Cioffi1´s avatar
Credit where credit is due!

Thanks for the info. I'm going to have a go myself and perhaps I'll rope in some of my computer literate friends. I'm off to the apartment in November armed with my new digital camera to take some decent photographs of our refurbished kitchen and then I have no excuses. Just a few more questions (if you don't mind me asking!)
1. Have your bookings increased since you perfected your site?

2. Have you ever had to keep the damage deposit?

3. Have you ever had problems with guests paying on time/cancelling etc.

4. Do your guests leave the apartment reasonably clean?

We rented ours out quite a lot from May - September but only to people we know which has advantages and disadvantages. I'm slightly nervous about doing it "for real" . Any thoughts/advise would be welcomed.

Like 0      
20 Oct 2008 9:22 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

The hardest part is getting the site found by the search engines, something I am still struggling with. I use the address in my signature on forums, I have used Vista Print to get free business cards and fridge magnets printed (if you Google Vista Print coupons you can get some good offers) so I can give them away and used Bonus Print to have postcards made up. I also tend to find that if I use a rental website, they don't click through to my site at the moment. We are new to this rental lark and this was our first year, I shall try to answer as well as possible:

1. I find most of my visitors at the moment are from EOS! I have recently changed the domain name and my old name is doing quite well in the rankings as it is still there at the moment. I have had one or two enquiries from it, that's aboutit.

2. We haven't kept the deposit, although we should have inone case. The toilet seat was broken, but it was left in such a way that you wouldn't notice it on the walk around check with the client when they left. We are learning, as are our keyholders!

3. All of our paying guests were Spanish this year. They all paid a 25% deposit within 3 days by bank transfer and they all paid up in full 6 weeks before arrival. LOTS of enquiries weren't converted, but the we had a hell of a lot we couldn't fulfil for late July/ August which was fuly booked by May.

4. The apartment has always been left clean, they even put the washing in the machine before leaving. They have always been very friendly and have enjoyed having the keyholder living on site.

At the end of the day, if you are going to rent it, you have to dis- associate yourself from the "it's my second home" and think of it as a way to help pay some of the bills. We may well have been lucky this year, but we think a good keyholder relationship is essential. We have had two holders this year, both were very good but one was living on site, which is better for meet/ greet and any problems whilst on holiday.

Hope this helps

Mark

Like 0      
21 Oct 2008 12:15 AM by la-calma Star rating in Wiltshire, Playa Fl.... 13 posts Send private message

Markfish.  One of the things that Google uses to push you up the search results is  how many web sites link to your site.   If you have more than one other web site linking it makes a big difference, links from 2 pages on the same web site count as 2 links, etc.  The more links, the more popular and the higher the rating.  The refering web sites must have some content in their own right, the googlebots are good at detecting a page full of just web links.  Look at the Google webmaster pages if you haven't already, set yourself up an account and then you can check for the search stats.  Google maps api is useful but you have sorted your pins out.   Do a google search using your keywords, open a couple of the highest rated sites, not the sponsored, right click and view source.  Look at their use of keywords etc.  But don't copy as this is not legal.  
Hope this helps.

Like 0      
21 Oct 2008 7:58 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
I am using a SEO page to try and bring up the rankings. Like everything, getting the good quality pages to link with you can be a problem, which is why I am trying to use some reciprocal ones from link exchange companies to get me started. My old pages have a Google rank of 2 with no effort put into it, whereas the relatively new site is still on 0 and I am trying my best to increase that.

I have tried searching using Google and other search engines and then implementing keywords, I just need to improve at how I do it. At the end of the day, i'm never going to rank in the top 5 of results, but if I can get word of mouth around using places like Facebook and the like, hopefully things will pick up.

Back to the original though, these pinpoints are really great. I didn't realise you could put pictures on them as well .

Mark

Like 0      
22 Nov 2008 12:26 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Just been playing with the maps again. I noticed you can customise the pinpoints . Plenty to choose from and the option to use your own, cool!!!

Mark

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Getting british T.V. stations back. - 31 posts
Mortgages - 4 posts
Car Hire - Gibraltar or La Linea? - 4 posts
murica or almeria airport hotel - 1 posts
Photos - 0 posts
Edinburgh Airport - 0 posts
bmi baby - 0 posts
importing rattan furniture - 0 posts
Abusive bank guarantee - solicitor tells me to accept it! - 24 posts
LTE International - 0 posts
Buy a property? - 19 posts
bmibaby online check-in for return flight? - 13 posts
DIY Dangers of Cement - 3 posts
furniture for sale - 0 posts
Pick a number, any number.... - 23 posts
Mercedes A170 Elegance Class 1.7 petrol 2 Door car FOR SALE - MALAGA AREA - 0 posts
Ryanair to close routes from Valencia? - 1 posts
mosquitoes - 22 posts
DVD Player in Spain - 2 posts
Mobile Air Con Unit - 2 posts
Hydropool Hot Tub - 4 posts
Ford Focus 1.6 Ghia - 3 posts
imports of rattan furniture - 0 posts
Company called Resale Strategy - 10 posts
any one know about moto cross in spain - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x