Bandits in Green Uniforms

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Oct 2008 12:00 AM by orda Star rating in Manilva Heights. 203 posts Send private message

orda´s avatar
Be aware it is nearly Xmas and they are out looking for their Xmas bonuses!  I have just contributed EUR354's to their benevolent fund because I was allegedly doing 100kph in a 50kph area.  The area is San Roque as you come over the bridge on to the road down to Campamento  (near Gibraltar).  As you come off the slip road the sign says 60kph, after about 20 yards it says 50kph and after about another 20 yards it says 100kph.  Allegedly I was doing 100 between the 50 and the 100 sign.  ROUND ONES!!  Yes I was must have been speeding but I wasn't going that fast as I had just slipped on to the road from the side.  It's a Toyota not a Ferrari.  Apparently, the spymobile was hiding in a ditch by the side of the road where it couldn't be seen, so I'd like to know if I can get a copy of the camera picture, or the so-called proof,  IF IT EXISTS?  The jolly green giant took away my driving licence and passport (didn't ask for my residencia, he obviously didn't think I had one) and told me to go to the nearest ATM and bring him the money which he proudly told me in Spanish sign language should have been EUR520's but I'd get 30% off if I paid within 30 days.  Fortunately, I knew enough to shove my residencia under his nose, so they will have to send me the fine notification.  When I was pulled over there were 3 other people pulled, 2 British and one Spanish, have a guess at which one was let off!  Considering Spain was a 3rd world dictatorship only 30 years ago they certainly have picked up the art of ripping people off to perfection whether it be driving on the road, buying a house or paying the endless taxes (which I have yet to be subjected to, but have been told about).
Well OCIFFER enjoy, perhaps you could use the money to find out who your father was, or have that facetious grin on your face removed by plastic surgery.

This message was last edited by orda on 10/21/2008.

Like 0      
21 Oct 2008 2:34 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
I had similar problem a couple of years ago.  Mind you, it seems the fines have gone up a lot since then.

They should have given you a slip with an address on it where you can request a copy of the photo.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
07 Nov 2008 4:52 PM by orda Star rating in Manilva Heights. 203 posts Send private message

orda´s avatar

It has been 19 days and I have still not received my speeding fine through the post.  I'm beginning to wonder if this was a scam as the Spanish driver was let off and the other 2 BRITISH drivers had to go to the ATM to get cash.  But because I had my Residencia on me they told me that I had 30 days to pay the fine to get 30% discount, so if this is really genuine, is that from when the alleged incident took place, or 30 days after I receive the claim in the post?

Like 0      
07 Nov 2008 8:27 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

I can't understand how they get away with taking your Driving Licence and Passport away and then telling you that you won't get them back until you have paid the fine there and then!

Sounds like a scam to me.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
08 Nov 2008 10:42 AM by orda Star rating in Manilva Heights. 203 posts Send private message

orda´s avatar

Surely even if these characters were genuine, to take away my personal belongings to make me pay is extortion isn't it?  I know I'm in a foreign country and I don't mean to knowingly flout any laws, but I still have rights.  So, in effect, what they were saying was that if I hadn't got the money, or a credit card they would have not given me back my documents and/or impounded the car.  Thus depriving me of my ability to earn a living, as I would have had no transport, and making me even more unable to pay this ridiculous amount of money.  Any lawyers out there honest, and brave enough, to speak up against this practice?

Like 0      
08 Nov 2008 4:47 PM by Annie21 Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

Annie21´s avatar

Orda, we got stopped by the local police earlier this year for speeding (allegedly!). We were also told we would have to pay there and then if we didn't have an address in Spain (so the tourists don't get away with it presumably - the car being impounded if no ability to pay!). Fortunately, we could prove our spanish address & were given a piece of paper with the amount of the fine showing, which we had to take to the local bank (Cajamurcia in our case) to pay the fine & get 30% reduction for paying within 30 days.

Are you sure you will get anything through the post? We just paid up & haven't heard anything since.

This message was last edited by Annie21 on 11/8/2008.

Like 0      
08 Nov 2008 4:51 PM by orda Star rating in Manilva Heights. 203 posts Send private message

orda´s avatar

Thanks Annie I think I'll go to one of the banks and see about it and get it over with.  I still think it's licensed extortion  and maybe they'll spend the money on their crappy roads.

Like 0      
08 Nov 2008 4:59 PM by Annie21 Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

Annie21´s avatar

I agree. Our only consolation was that it wasn't just the english getting fined - loads of spanish had been caught out too - & they were extremely put out!! There was a queue at one point of people waiting to 'be done'!

Funny thing is we still aren't sure of the speed limit on this particular stretch of road as there doesn't seem to be any signs! Hmmmm

Like 0      
08 Nov 2008 5:01 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Is a Padron not proof of residence this case?

I happend to be discussing the issue of re-plating a British car and the requirement of having a Residencia in order to do so.

However a Padron is also acceptable, so could it be so to proove residence in this case?

This message was last edited by TechNoApe on 11/8/2008.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
08 Nov 2008 5:29 PM by Annie21 Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

Annie21´s avatar

Techno - I suspect that it would depend on the police officer . We don't have residencia & didn't even have anything with our written address on it (hubby didn't even have his driving licence on him - duh!). I wrote down our address for him & he took us at face value - as I said there was a queue of 'lawbreakers' so maybe it was easier to issue a ticket & let us go. I know we got away with not having the driving licence as he could have done us for that too.

Like 0      
13 Nov 2008 4:56 PM by orda Star rating in Manilva Heights. 203 posts Send private message

orda´s avatar

To add insult to injury I went in to the Bank Santander to pay my fine, €354's if paid within 30 days, and begrudgingly handed €360's to the pretty cashier who pressed a few keys on her keyboard and said to me "another €4's please".  "No", I replied, "it's €354, the ******** wrote it on the back".  "I know", she said, "but  30% of €520's is €364 not €354".  So I had to cough up even more.  They couldn't get the discount right, it makes you wonder if they got my speed right!!! 

Like 0      
14 Nov 2008 7:33 AM by COSTABLANCATRANSFERS.COM Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

We too had an experience with the Trafico Guardia Civil on 5th April this year.
We were travelling along the A3 motorway just before Madrid.
We were 7 passengers in a minibus, 3 adults and 4 teenagers. One of the adults was a detective inspector in the UK Police Force for 23 years.
The Spanish plated vehicle we were in, has some business advertising on the rear window, which is in English. ( An easy target, perhaps)?

Basically here's what happened...

My wife noticed in the rear view mirror, that 2 trafico police were following us. She checked her speed and said "make sure everyone has their seat belts on"
Our friend, (the ex CID inspector), checked that the 4 teenagers all had their seat belts on.
The two Guadia Civil on motorbikes overtook us and indicated for us to pull over.
They asked for all our documents and meticulously checked the vehicle over.

All our documents are in order, as is the vehicle, but then one of the Policia started to write out a ticket!?
All the boys are fluent in Spanish and we asked them to ask what the ticket was for.
We were told that the ticket was because one of the boys wasn't wearing a seat belt!
This was simply not true.
We said that in no way did any of the boys not have a seat belt on, because we checked!
The real arrogant one (who never took his sunglasses off for the whole time) then said that Oh well, one of the boys in the back seat wasn't wearing it correctly!!

After some discussions, they still booked us.
A fine of 150 euros and 3 points for on my wife's licence. Her 1st ever points on her licence in 13 years!

It just felt like Dick Turpin, highway robbery.

We were all incensed at the injustice of this incident. We went to see a Spanish solicitor to see if there was anything we could do.
The solicitor said that the ticket had been issued because the person was under 1.75 meters tall and did not have the required booster seat.
This was also incredible, because at no time did the Policia ask to see the size of the boy in the back, who was 14 years old!!

She told us that we would have to go to Madrid to appeal and that it was our word against the Guardia Civil. She said if I was you I would just pay because the chances of winning were very slim.
She also pointed out that the Guardia Civil Trafico earn commission for the tickets they issue!! How many people know that!!??

Andrew

Like 0      
14 Nov 2008 11:38 AM by orda Star rating in Manilva Heights. 203 posts Send private message

orda´s avatar

Wow, but why am I not surprised at your story and I must admit I had a feeling they were on some sort of incentive as my colleagues told me that you only ever see them speed checking just before Xmas.  However, I suppose we must be grateful that the Guardia Civil aren't used (hopefully) in the same capacity as Franco used to use them.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

BMW 328i Convertible - 0 posts
Hi I'm New - 5 posts
Renault Laguna Estate 1.9 Diesal for Sale - 0 posts
Any one with family/friends in the armed forces??? - 5 posts
Garden Soil - 0 posts
AMARION III IS NOT AN URBASA PROPERTY NOW. - 0 posts
Working in Spain....Paid in UK or Ireland - 1 posts
moto cross - 0 posts
Where have all the photos gone? - 1 posts
Google Earth pinpoints - 9 posts
Getting british T.V. stations back. - 31 posts
Mortgages - 4 posts
Car Hire - Gibraltar or La Linea? - 4 posts
murica or almeria airport hotel - 1 posts
Photos - 0 posts
Edinburgh Airport - 0 posts
bmi baby - 0 posts
importing rattan furniture - 0 posts
Abusive bank guarantee - solicitor tells me to accept it! - 24 posts
LTE International - 0 posts
Buy a property? - 19 posts
bmibaby online check-in for return flight? - 13 posts
DIY Dangers of Cement - 3 posts
furniture for sale - 0 posts
Pick a number, any number.... - 23 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x