I'm totally confused.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 Sep 2008 12:00 AM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar
I called the Medical benefits centre to sort out E106 for my husband and I.

It seems that he can't have one as he'll be working in the UK Monday-Friday and will be deemed as still resident in the UK. He has to use the EHIC.

On the other hand. Due to my husband being self employed for donkey's years and paying me just under the minimum wage to avoid tax and insurance costs, I have no stamps or credits. So I can't have an E106.
It also seems that I can't have the EHIC because I will be living in Spain. 

I can't have private insurance because the costs would be horrendous having already had treatment for malignant melanoma and having  had my thyroid removed.

I don't suppose anyone has any suggestions?

We are both 5 years from retirement age by the way.

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
25 Sep 2008 12:21 PM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 689 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter
Hi Laury - looks like you are caught in the middle!  I know that the Valencian administration are planning a contributary health scheme for people in your position and I think that someone posted here saying it should be operational by the start of next year. 

You could try the British Embassy website for information www.ukinspain.com, I think.

Just need to make sure you keep well for the next few months!

Fingers crossed.

Like 0      
25 Sep 2008 12:27 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar
Hi Claire. 

Isn't it silly?  If my husband stopped working he could have the E106 and I could have one as a dependant but not as we are. 

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
25 Sep 2008 2:31 PM by Tamsin Star rating. 169 posts Send private message

Why can you not apply for your EHIC card giving your address in the UK ( use the one where your husband lives Mon to Fri)?    I looked at the web site and all they ask for are the usual things - name , address, e mail  address etc   

If you now a Spanish resident please remember  that you are not entitled to ' free' health care in the  UK either?   Surely under the EU rules you must have an entitlement in one country . If you take my  advice do not stay out of the UK for over 12 months and if you need health care in the UK do not mention that you live in Spain as you will have the Overseas Visitors Managers  on you like a ton of bricks .  

NHS manangers have realised that there is a whole lot of money to claim for unintitled healthcare .  You may be asked to show your right of residence ie council tax bills, rent / motgage statement etc which your husband will have . I have a friend who lives in Southern Ireland and she still comes to the UK for healthcare  - no-one has questioned her  as she is in the system.  The OVM does not have the time to look at clents alread being treated yet .      I am not asking  you outrightly lie but to be frugal with the truth.

Like 0      
25 Sep 2008 2:44 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

Interesting concept.

My husband will be in hotels from Mon-Fri as we will have let our house but ... if we stay registered with our GP and I ring for my repeat prescriptions every 2 months as usual AND we still have a "technical" UK address, I could stay in Spain... visit the UK fairly regularly and still be classed as a UK citizen like my husband.

Also. We have a one year old LTD company that my husband and I work for, so we could both carry on and I could pay stamps for a couple of years until he stops.
........ Or... something... anyway... haha

I already have an EHIC which runs out in 2011.   Surely they can't take it back?

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
25 Sep 2008 3:05 PM by Tamsin Star rating. 169 posts Send private message

You got me worried  I wnt on the website and this has confirmed what you  said. It depends upon where you are resident.

'Long-term residents
Long-term residents in Spain who are not pensioners, employed persons or officially resident do not qualify for Spanish State health care or NHS treatment in England. UK nationals living in Spain are not entitled to health care in Spain at UK expense. Using an old UK-issued E111 to obtain Spanish health care (which is charged to the NHS) is fraud. They have no right to health care in the UK either, as they are not ordinarily resident there. However, they would receive emergency NHS health care in the UK, in the same way as those persons who are officially registered as resident in Spain may receive emergency healthcare in England while on a visit there. '

I would continue with what you are doing - don't mention to the receptionist about  Spain and you will be OK.   You own a  property in the UK and can show bills etc.

Like 0      
25 Sep 2008 3:21 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar
I suppose it's sailing fairly close to the wind but it should only be for a year or so.
We are hoping to remarket and actually SELL the house in the UK next year. If so, my husband will retire early and as a non worker will be able to get an E106 and I will be able to get one too.
What a stupid system.

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
27 Sep 2008 12:17 PM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

If you are a pensioner, resident in Spain, can you still use the NHS in the UK as if you were still living/resident in the UK?

Like 0      
30 Sep 2008 1:11 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Hi

I am now registered in the Spanish system, as I handed in my E121 at the INSS office.  The man there gave me a form to take to the local Health Centre, plus a Spanish EHIC card (he did that on the spot!) so if I need treatment in the UK it will be emergency only.  I was able to do this as I am now 60, so in receipt of a state pension.  My OH is only 64, so is hoping that he stays fit until next March, as our understanding is that as he is under pension age and not working here, he doesn't have any entitlement to free healthcare.  

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
30 Sep 2008 4:20 PM by ayrez Star rating in La Marina Oasis. 379 posts Send private message

Suemac, 
If you are 60 your husband can obtain E121 and obtain free healthcare in Spain as your dependant. 

Tish , 
If you are resident in Spain you are not entitled to use NHS in Englnd as if you lived there. but if you do not tell  them where you live and still have UK address how will they know? Having said that the Spanish service is excellent. and it is a bit pricey flying back every time you need a doctor´s appt.

Jean

Like 0      
30 Sep 2008 5:17 PM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

Thanks Jean, that's what I thought. I know someone who uses a relatives UK address and has expensive treatment here in the UK whilst their only property is in Spain. I think it is abusing the system, BUT, they have worked in the UK all their lives and paid all their dues up to retirement!

Like 0      
30 Sep 2008 10:17 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Thanks, Jean.  We will phone up when we are back in the UK next week and ask about the E121.  We have met a couple of ex-pats who live near Jumilla, and they have had treatment here since they retired, and think the Spanish service is wonderful!

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

When do I have to pay property taxes - 2 posts
Looking for an apartment near Torrevieja - 5 posts
Anyone know about property prices in El Galan, Villamartin? - 6 posts
How do I get on tne Hacienda forum ? - 6 posts
Medical emergency telephone number - 5 posts
TM Update - From the Guardia Website and other webpages... - 2 posts
moving FROM Madrid to East Anglia - 0 posts
equivalent to bupa ? - 2 posts
does anyone know of any papers offered in braille - 1 posts
ferry to spain - only option ? - 14 posts
flying with pets - 9 posts
Deeds of sale signed in the presence of a non Spanish Notary - 0 posts
Anyone know anything about apart-sol estate agent - 0 posts
SUMAS - 15 posts
recomendations of a good estate agent in riviera del sol - 0 posts
Financial crisis in personal terms - 1 posts
BEWARE.......another con.............. - 19 posts
Aifos Torreblanca - 0 posts
Success! - 9 posts
Should you complete without a habitation certificate? - 77 posts
Good morning every one! - 9 posts
bank guaruntee - 66 posts
LHD car wanted. RHD to sell. - 0 posts
How Much Tax Do I Pay ?? - 9 posts
Hallo - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x