New driving law in Spain, whatever next !

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Aug 2008 12:00 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Seen on another forum local to Torrevieja, my area. Anyone else heard of it ?

"Our Spanish language teacher told us a recent law has been passed concerning driving. It is now an offence to drive with flip flops or thong sandals for safety reasons. You can wear sandals but they have to have a strap around the heel. It is also now an offence to drive topless. Pity. This also applies to men as well though. The timing is brilliant. It will be an easy gig for the Guardia. They just need to park up on the exit from any Playa and they'll have a field day. Suppose the flip flop thing makes sense. Our teacher is a legit language teacher, brought up here and been here 22 years. Studied languages at Murcia University. As well as teaching us the language he tells us about the culture. He saw the piece about the new driving regulations on spanish tv. I am confident it is correct. We know some of his other pupils and he has told them the same."

Like 0      
22 Aug 2008 12:14 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar
This has been the law in Italy for a long time and a very good one it is too.

Like 0      
22 Aug 2008 12:21 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
When you say topless do you mean........................witht he hood up?????????

I wear sandals without a heel strap but tend to kick them off and drive barefoot anyway - guess thats ok!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
22 Aug 2008 12:22 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
I'm not saying it's not a good idea, Georgia, but just how many of us know it may (or may not) be the law ? If a police officer stands over you with his hand on his gun, which they do, & demands cash, it's hard to argue, even in Spanish. 

We've had "dealings" with traffic officers, they are intimidating (to say the least) & you know my OH, he's not fiery tempered & is so polite, unlike his wife.

Anyway, if you're driving along in bare feet or flip flops just how do these guys (or gals) see your feet ?

Like 0      
22 Aug 2008 12:39 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

You would be prosecuted in the UK too for driving barefoot!!

Mark

Like 0      
22 Aug 2008 12:42 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar
I suppsoe if you get stopped randomly they will check your footwear or maybe if they notice yyou getting into your car,i always drive bearfoot in the summer as flip flops are lethal,i was told by a copper in England once not knowing the law and pleading ignorance is not an excuse,so i suppose they would apply that.
I know what you mean about the Guardia being intimidating,i made the foolish mistake once of laughing at a Guardia officer,the pointy end of a machine gun is not a comforting sight,i have also spent 2 hours in the back of a Guardia van before,not pleasant(not my fault,i assure you).
The Guardia are intimidating for a reason, with fear, comes respect,something i fear a lot of police forces lack these days,put it like this you wouldn't see a group of lads here sticking two fingers up at one.........perish the thought.
It's impossible to keep up with all the laws and i suppose you would get some sort of leniancy if you were a first offender,i find the dealings i have had with the Local Police for them to be very firm but fair.

Like 0      
22 Aug 2008 12:44 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar
Thats interesting Mark,i remeber way back when my wife passed her test and during all her lessons they allowed ladies to remove their shoes.....has the law changed?

Like 0      
22 Aug 2008 12:47 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
Its cos in the Uk its so wet your foot would slip off the pedals!

Luckily here its just hot and dry so no worries there!!!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
22 Aug 2008 12:59 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
So, Rixxy, you break the law, do you ?

Like 0      
22 Aug 2008 12:59 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
I don't think it is a law per se, but the law would get you for not being in proper control of your vehicle at all times. I have just read on a newsgroup that insurance companies will also refuse payment if you are not wearing suitable footwear. 

Mark

Like 0      
22 Aug 2008 1:10 PM by Max Kite Star rating in Castilléjar, Granada. 308 posts Send private message

Max Kite´s avatar
Just to carry over information posted on other threads:

1)  Always stop at a stop sign - I mean STOP and wait a second or two - they love this one - 150€ and 4 points

2) If you get out of the car, put on your reflective jacket or they'll have you for that as well.

3) You don't have to pay on the spot - they can issue you with a ticket, which you take to Banco Santander to pay.

4) Yes, people ARE getting nicked for wearing flip flops

5) If you don't want to get nicked, buy a moto and ride it through the town flat out doing wheelies, scattering the aged and children alike, deafening all and sundry.  The Guardia will ignore you.  Get in a car and ching-ching!  That will do nicely sir!

6) Spanish licence holders also need regular medical check-ups. 

Regarding barefoot, I personally think it is safer than shoes as one has better contact (feel) with the car.  

This message was last edited by Max Kite on 8/22/2008.

Like 0      
22 Aug 2008 2:15 PM by mr.kevin Star rating in Costa Blanca. 189 posts Send private message

mr.kevin´s avatar
It is not just Spanish driving licence holders that need medicals. 

Holders of UK / Euro driving licences needs to comply with the Spanish regulations regarding medicals other wise the guardia can say your licence is not valid.

I am sure this must have been covered before

Like 0      
22 Aug 2008 2:20 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Looks like I'm going to have to pack a pair of driving shoes

I've only tried to drive in flipflops once, never again.  Also wouldn't drive barefoot as I felt like I didn't have any control in an emergency (also got cramp)

I'm used to driving in something with a sole so my foot is flat, only thing is it's normally sandals without a strap around the heel.

Need to lie down with a cold compress, too many rules am now getting a headache.

Like 0      
22 Aug 2008 4:20 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
What really gets my goat is that I've yet to see a local police car with a full set of working headlamps, indicators and brake lights, and the majority of council operated vehicles and public buses here would instantly fail an ITV (MoT) on emissions alone.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
22 Aug 2008 4:24 PM by Max Kite Star rating in Castilléjar, Granada. 308 posts Send private message

Max Kite´s avatar
Also, Roberto, the drivers of these publicly funded vehicles are usually to be found where?  And what are they drinking?

Like 0      
22 Aug 2008 7:26 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Can anyone actually direct us to where it states, legally, that you cannot drive in flip-flops/thonged sandals?  I've just spent the last six weeks driving around Malaga and only ever where flip flops!!  Albeit they are not of the rubber variety!!  Living in Dubai, in fact, it's all I wear!  Open flat soled sandals!  Personally, I have never had a problem driving with them (from manuals to automatics, from saloons to 4x4s).  I would think driving without shoes much more dangerous - something I really don't feel comfotable with, but I suppose it's down to personal preference.

Anyway, would just like to know if there is anything in print about this.  Would hate to think I'll be breaking the law the next time I'm in Spain - means I'll have to invest in some new footwear!!

Like 0      
22 Aug 2008 8:00 PM by irenemontague Star rating in liverpool/carvajal . 794 posts Send private message

Hi the new driving law in spain is now the same as england as we are not allowed to drive in flip flops i think spain brings these laws in years after everyone else bye irene

Like 0      
23 Aug 2008 12:29 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
No doubt some ridiculous EU directive.
Shoe Police - whatever next? And we in the "West" have the audacity to try to force "democracy" on other nations? Do you think China has Shoe Police? They might still not be allowed freedom of thought, but at least they can choose for themselves what footwear to put on before going out! Pretty soon it will be us wearing identical blue pyjamas and hairstyles etc.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
23 Aug 2008 12:45 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar
Well Roberto,
I am sending my personal shoe policeman to the UK High Street tomorrow..............to get me sandals with straps at the back!

God forbid we land at Alicante on Sunday afternoon and the Shoe Policeman stops me on the N332 catching me in my flippy floppy thingys! (Albeit they were bought in Espania!)

To get a 150€ (or whatever takes their fancy at the time), on the spot fine, which may end up in the local Policia's back pocket, Hurrrrrrrmph!................horrifies me!

So a cheapo 3 quid pair at our local cheapo shoe shop will suit moi cheapo fine thank you very much!

Viva Espania rules...............actually, they are very sensible.............
Regards.................

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
23 Aug 2008 1:37 AM by buzylizzie Star rating in Gibraltar, Manilva a.... 192 posts Send private message

buzylizzie´s avatar
So, are my 5" stillettos ok then?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Benefits of buying in cash ? - 3 posts
long term rental - 1 posts
Anyone else going rusty? - 65 posts
Furniture Packs - 0 posts
Does anyone know Charlie Chalk. - 1 posts
ART FOR children - 0 posts
Mobile phones - 5 posts
incorporation of SL - 5 posts
Swapping contract for properties - 0 posts
bar varal - 0 posts
ACCESSING YAHOO E-MAILS - 2 posts
Lombardos Restaurant Sotogrande - 0 posts
selling range rover year '98 - EUR 9000 - 0 posts
info on cheapest company incorporation - 0 posts
Insurance for age group 65+ travellers (Very interesting information) - 1 posts
New Low cost airline? Depends... - 9 posts
Flights Getting too Difficult - 17 posts
Madrid Plane crash - 9 posts
water - fine from Galassa - 4 posts
CLEANERS - 4 posts
nueva ribera beach club - 1 posts
plane crash - 2 posts
Read it and weep - 37 posts
House / home swop! Is it a good idea? Will it work? - 6 posts
BUILDER REQUIRED for balustrades & ironwork (gates) - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 44

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x