where do we start????

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
17 Aug 2008 12:00 AM by louisedawn Star rating. 13 posts Send private message

hi,
we have finally decided to seriously look into moving to spain!  we are from the south of england,myself, my partner and 4 children under the age of 7. this site has been very helpfull so far but where on earth do we start? money is quite a big issue, how much do we need to suppot our selves till jobs are sorted? schools are another thing, will they settle ok? so any one who could give us some idea of where to start, or anyone who has done the same as what we are planning. advse would be so much appreciated to put our minds at ease! thankyou.

Like 0      
17 Aug 2008 10:12 PM by vickie Star rating in Lincoln UK. 12 posts Send private message

Hiya louisedawn.  We are in the same boat although we are gonna wait until our youngest finishes school (around 5 years so doing research at the mo).  My husband is a body piercer so we will need to find somewhere that is popular.  Im surprised at the cheapness of rented apartments as, like yourselves, money will probably be an issue.  Hope you get some advice and if you do, please pass on in the future. 

Vickie

Like 0      
18 Aug 2008 7:52 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

The first thing I would do is write down a list of pros and cons of living in Spain.

Why Spain, why not another country where you don't have the language barrier.

Once you have a list then you should be able to work out what questions you need answering.  

Have you decided on an area in Spain?  If so then google to see if that area has any forums that will help you answer the questions on your list.  Each forum will have a search facility and once you are registered then you will be able to use this.

What job skills do you have and if you can't speak Spanish then you'll be restricted to the ex-pat community where others will be fighting for the same jobs.  Look at local papers for the area and see how many vacancies there are advertised.

Be realistic in your expectation of living in Spain, most people who talk about coming out want big houses with pools but these will be expensive to maintain.

As to the million euro question of how much do I need to support yourselves, previously it's been suggested that you need enough to keep you for 9 months.  Now I'd say 2 years as it could take that long to find a job.

Many people are returning home after living here for 3 years or more, broken by all the beaurocracy.

It's not easy living and working in Spain but if you come prepared then maybe you will be one of the lucky ones who will succeed

Unfortunately it's a bad time in general and probably will get worse, maybe be worth putting it off for a couple of years to see how things pan out.

On this forum there's a section about Living in Spain and Healthcare, I'd read these as they could answer a couple of questions for you.  Also read Healthcare in the same section as once you leave the UK you will not be covered in Spain.

Don't have personnal experience re schooling but others on here do so hopefully they can expand on that area.

Like 0      
18 Aug 2008 9:07 AM by angelita Star rating in Roda San javier. 59 posts Send private message

Hi there
Word of warning, you are moving at a particularly bad time!  the jobs are non-existant at the moment.  I moved to Murcia, in March this year and after completing a 3 month  Spanish course have actively looked for work since.  I have sent my CV everywhere and so far no joy.  My advice would be to make sure you have enough money to see you through this albeit temporary economic crisis.  Best of luck.

Like 0      
18 Aug 2008 6:18 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
From what little info you have given us, the only really positive thing I can say is that the kids are all young enough that they will adapt very quickly and grow up totally bilingual. 
Other than that, I agree with what others have said already. Much depends on your financial status and ability to find employment or operate your own business in Spain. Moving to a foreign country with a young dependent family is a HUGE move, so my best advice is research, resaearch, then research some more. This forum is a great starting point. Best of luck!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Alcaidesa: the unknown area - 10 posts
Looking for places to eat around Condado de Alhama - 9 posts
Brilliant Spanish forum, members helping with translating everything imaginable - 0 posts
Hotel.com great offer.Grab £25 voucher to get free worldwide rooms. (A Martin moneysaver). - 0 posts
hola to all veranda - 1 posts
hola to all veranda - 0 posts
Recent Visit - 2 posts
Watched via the PC, alternative "TV" in Spain - 14 posts
Los Hidalgos Manilva - 2 posts
Moving to Spain - 2 posts
Leaving the rat race - 18 posts
PRESIDENT OF A COMMUNITY - 34 posts
Olympic Men's Four Final - 4 posts
JET2 FLIGHT CHANGE 2009 - 2 posts
URGENT ADVICE NEEDED - 6 posts
Communidad de Propietarios to apply for Cédula. - 7 posts
Algeciras - 0 posts
Summer Holiday at Parque Botanico - 7 posts
moving to spain - 3 posts
schools - 2 posts
no samos pool??!! - 2 posts
TRANSLATING A WEBPAGE INTO ENGLISH. - 3 posts
San Javier (near Murcia Airport) Garage Required For Long term Rent - 0 posts
Telemicro Levante - 22 posts
Name of satellite for Spanish digital tv - 12 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x