URGENT ADVICE NEEDED

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Aug 2008 12:00 AM by edvardo Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Dear Readers

A year a two ago my Mother and Step-Father went to Spain to view a number of proposed development sites via an agent.

It was only when they arrived home did it become apparent to me that they had signed up for a £100k+ property. The Agent sold the property on the theory that they should take on a mortgage and rent out the property. It was stated that the property rental value should more than cover the mortage, and the property should rise in value making thier investment grow.

I was very uneasy with the whole situation and couldn't understand how my Mother and Step-Father could get a mortage at their age. My Mother is 60 and Step-Father is 70. Although, it was intimated by my Mother at one point that I would need to sign something (I would of never signed anything because this I suspect would put my house up as collateral), but luckily this never materialised.

At this point the development is currently 12 months or more behind schedule. I have recently learned from my Mother that their mortgage application has now been refused (what a suprise) due to their age. This now leaves them in a very vulnerable position as they have already paid a third deposit on the property (circa £30k) and cannot now afford the property. The developer has now stated that the only way to salvage this situation is to either use their house as collateral or seek another interested party. Both of these two options are not possible.

I believe that the property has been mis-sold to my parents on the premise that they would be eligible for a mortgage when in fact their age prevents from being eligible for a mortgage. If the company was registered in the UK the law would surely safeguard against this and I would be confident of recouping the deposit. But as the company is registered in Spain what is the best way of recovering the deposit?

As you can probably tell from the email the topic is quite emotional now for my Mother as she has put her pension into this apartment. Two weeks ago my Mother and Step-Father attended a conference and confronted an employee of the company. The employee confidently said that they would easily be able to sell the property on for my Mother as there was great demand for these apartments. This is contrary to what I believed was happening to the property market in Spain. I do not believe that the developer will be in contact with my Mother again and are not taking this issue seriously. I will ultimately take this up with the Managing Director if there is no response from the other Senior staff.

Therefore, if there is any advice you could offer on this emotive subject it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Like 0      
15 Aug 2008 10:55 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Hi Edvardo

I think the key is "
At this point the development is currently 12 months or more behind schedule."

Have your mother & stepfather got a Bank guarantee ? It's their legal right & every builder selling off plans has to, by Spanish law, give one & not charge for it as often we hear.

Can I suggest that you wait whilst I contact Maria de Castro (a wonderful, caring lawyer who posts on our forum & who sees light at the end of the tunnel for many who've given up hope) & ask if she'll pop into your thread as I'm sure she'll be able to help. We hear these same circumstances a lot.

Please try not to worry so much, ok ? 

EDITED TO ADD: Maria said in a post tonight that she'll be around on Monday. I have sent her a message on your behalf.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 8/15/2008.

Like 0      
16 Aug 2008 9:28 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar
Dear Edvardo:

I have just sent a PM to you.

Initially, the delay and the impossibility to obtain financiation can act as reasons for cancelling the contract and obtaining the full deposit plus legal interests back. Of course the misseling can also play a part here as those mortgages and buying to rent schemes do not exist in Spain and can play a part in the declaration of nullity of the contract which would aslo produce the effect of full refunding of deposit plus legal interests.

Do you have a Bank Guarantee or an Insurance Policy? Is the delay on date of initium of works or on completion date?

Best wishes,

Maria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
16 Aug 2008 9:37 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Hi Maria

The reason I asked you to kindly pop into thread was because Edvardo is a new member &, as such, has no access to his PMs currently.

EDITED TO ADD: I have only just realised, Maria, that you answered my PM re Edvardo, as it's not working properly AGAIN !  I get no new messages, it goes straight into my read box & I am not the only member it does it to, either.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 8/16/2008.

Like 0      
16 Aug 2008 9:40 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar
Edvardo:
As you do not have the PM facility yet, please feel free to contact us through the contact email address that you can find in por website: costaluzlawyers.es

Thanks,

Maria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
25 Aug 2008 10:35 PM by antony1 Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

Edvardo, if your relatives entered into a contract with the promise that they would get a mortgage, in writing, this would certainly help matters. Otherwise I doubt you can use it to cancel a contract. It does seem however that you can obtain your funds back by reason of delay but be careful, some judges dont consider a delay as a fundamental breach of contract if this delay is not ´considerable´, i.e., between 12 and 24 months. I have learnt this from Lawbird Legal Services (which you can find in the web) who told me that a number of claimants are losing their courts cases because of different views by some judges, and these guys really know their stuff, after winning veri important cases. Dont run into the Courts unless you have a clear understanding of the system.  

Like 0      
26 Aug 2008 11:15 AM by sharonw Star rating in Coin, Malaga. 281 posts Send private message

sharonw´s avatar
Hi Edvardo,

I am sorry to read about this situation which is obviously causing a great deal of anguish.   You do not say which bank has refused thier mortgage application, was it the developers lender?

I just wanted to add - from a mortgage point of view - IF your mother and step father wanted to pursue the mortgage route, it is possible for them to obtain a mortgage at their age, depending on their circumstances.  there are a couple of lenders that go up to age 80.

It was very unscrupulous of the agent to 'sell' the property on the basis they could take a mortgage, all too sadly this happens many times.

Regards

Sharon

sharon@tmasspain.com

www.themortgageservicegroup.com

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Communidad de Propietarios to apply for Cédula. - 7 posts
Algeciras - 0 posts
Summer Holiday at Parque Botanico - 7 posts
moving to spain - 3 posts
schools - 2 posts
no samos pool??!! - 2 posts
TRANSLATING A WEBPAGE INTO ENGLISH. - 3 posts
San Javier (near Murcia Airport) Garage Required For Long term Rent - 0 posts
Telemicro Levante - 22 posts
Name of satellite for Spanish digital tv - 12 posts
Max Kite - 0 posts
Montana Roja ( Corralejo, Fuerteventura ) - avoid !!!!!! - 0 posts
shani and paul - 4 posts
MONETARY COMPENSATION FROM ANYONE INVOLVED IN LOSING THEIR MONEY - 1 posts
HEALTH CARE - 7 posts
problems at nueva ribera beach club - 10 posts
Security gates, window grills ramps, anything metal. - 0 posts
Lettings Agency - 3 posts
Jennifer Heredades PHASE 1 Development - 4 posts
Title Deeds - 1 posts
the diamond ex catering - 0 posts
Development forums & deleting them ! (Again) - 0 posts
A lighthearted look at life with great animal (only) videos. - 10 posts
water pressure HELP! - 3 posts
Which mortgage sounds better? - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x