PRESIDENT OF A COMMUNITY

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 Aug 2008 12:00 AM by Gypsy Star rating in south shields/formen.... 206 posts Send private message

Gypsy´s avatar
Hi,
 Need info for a friend.He wants to know if an elected president
of a community gets ANY form of payment. THANKS

GYPSY

Like 0      
16 Aug 2008 7:18 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Expenses can be claimed. Roberto will tell you, Karensun, will too, also Promedia. A President does the job out of the goodness of his or her heart.

Like 0      
16 Aug 2008 9:30 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Being the president of a community is a legal obligation as member of the community. Even though, the community can agree on payinh him/her if that is convinient.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
16 Aug 2008 9:45 PM by On a mission ! Star rating in Caleta de Fuste,Fuer.... 52 posts Send private message

On a mission !´s avatar
Our president has a "salary" of 3,300 euros a year !!  For doing not a lot !!

Most communities I know of allow their president to claim expenses of between 50 and 100 euros a month.

Audrey

Like 0      
16 Aug 2008 10:00 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
I apologise for saying expenses only can be claimed as that was 100% what I understood from reading endless posts in endless forums.

Like 0      
16 Aug 2008 11:23 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar
Recently got the minutes of AGM and saw that our president got circa €900 in expenses over the year.

I hope that he doesn't read that post, Audrey, of €3,300 euros - otherwise the community fees are in for another hike!

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
17 Aug 2008 11:16 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

No one should be paid for being a president, out of pocket expenses yes but not a salary!

Audrey - The amount you quote is obsene especially when he doesn't do anything.

As I frequently tell my Presidente, what you're doing is for the benefit of all the community.  Does fall on deaf ears as I think it's more a power thing now.  As I haven't got the time or the energy to do anything about it I let them get on with it.  They get a small amount to cover paper etc haven't got the figures to hand but I understand some people moan about that.

Incidently I think what you are doing in your community is the way to go, keep everyone involved and informed - good idea to translate it into all languages for all owners - hope you succeed.

Like 0      
17 Aug 2008 11:36 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Semi, I thought the President only received expenses so I was surprised to read Maria said it was up to each  community & payments could be permitted.  

Like 0      
17 Aug 2008 11:55 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

I'm sure there are a lot of them who deserve to be paid for all the good work they do.  But for every good one there are more who do it for the power, do as I say or else.

Paying them for it is asking for trouble IMO.

Keep people informed, after all rules are there for a reason.  It's a community and sometimes you need to remind people what you are trying to achieve.

Like 0      
17 Aug 2008 2:06 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar
I agree that paying a president a wage is asking for trouble.

Makes me wonder if this was agreed as an incentive (re: On a Mission) as there weren't many volunteers for the position.  I know that it no one on my community would agree to it.  Everyone is groaning about the community fees as it is!

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
17 Aug 2008 3:47 PM by irenemontague Star rating in liverpool/carvajal . 794 posts Send private message

HI i think paying for a president is wrong it costs so  much to run a community as it is and our c/charge is quite a lot as it is, and i dont no what next years will be bye irene

Like 0      
17 Aug 2008 4:38 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Unfortunately it's one of those thankless jobs.  No one wants to volunteer to do it but they soon become vocal when the community isn't working how they want it too.

In otherwords when they think they are paying too much in fees most want to get involved but purely for their own financial reasons.

I have read of someone on a forum who lived in Quesada who was paying 3k euros a year, never did find out what the breakdown was.

Main thing to do is look at the yearly budget and if there's anything on there that you don't understand ask for an explanation.  Perhaps that might also trigger others curiosity and you might be able to find a solution to reduce the annunal costs.

Like 0      
17 Aug 2008 5:51 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar

I've been through ours with a fine tooth comb!! But nothing jumps out at me as being wrong. Translations cost a lot, but with such a mixed community you can't avoid that one - except to put it out to tender again.

It seems that we were "rooked" at one point by our pool cleaner - who was also responsible for carrying out repairs on the pool.  It seems that he worked for a few other communities, and if something broke down our community was billed for a new replacement item - which had been "acquired" from another community!!  Needless to say, he was found out, slightly late in the day, and is no longer employed by any of his old communities!!

Our president is in a good position to employ whoever he likes to carry out work.  A couple of years ago his step-son, who lived in Germany, suddenly appeared on the scene to do the gardening and the pool work.  Poor chap, was out of his depth, in more ways that one, and soon had to beat a hasty retreat back to Germany.

There was a concensus that the President and Vice President had to be a permanant resident, and I'm sure that they do get a lot of "stick".  However, I've probably been on more committees than had hot breakfast, and it always seems to be the same.  The people who moan the most seem to want to do the least! until it hits their pockets!!

Hope that our community charge doesn't go up as high as 3K  - wonder where the mansion is??  We pay about 500 euros over the year c. charge - and sometimes there is an "emergency whip round" on top of that amount.  Some of our friends in Los Balcones only pay a fraction of that.

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
17 Aug 2008 6:09 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Wasn't a mansion, that's what everyone asked.  It was a small town house.

Like most threads on forums, no one ever answers after dropping a bombshell like that.

You can normally work out why fees are so expensive, exteriors painted by the communities at regular intervals.  Lifts, indoor pools, gardening, security.  Pools open all year, street cleaning the list is endless.

I agree 3k is expensive but we'll never know why.

Like 0      
17 Aug 2008 6:15 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Yes Semi, it was "Jessi", I remember that post. As you said, she never returned to tell us why it was so high. I do recall her saying there were lots of properties on their community so a lot of money lining someone's pocket.  I met "Jessi" & her OH in Quesada. Remember reading about how she pushed an intruder over her balcony one night ? He bounced !!!

This message was last edited by morerosado on 8/17/2008.

Like 0      
17 Aug 2008 6:31 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar

Semi:

No lifts to maintain  (probably because there aren't any apartments!!), no inside pools (Could do with one - sounds like luxury - under 28degrees and I don't venture in an outside one!) and no exteriors painted where we are most of the places have their outsides coated with some material that doesn't need painting.  ( not sure exactly what they are coated with, but when I asked someone they said that it was "grot-coat""  Not sure if that was it's actual name or a comment on it!) .  Still, when I think of the rates on our house in England, compared to Spain,  shudder!!

You're right about people "getting amnesia", when it comes to qualifying statements, though!

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
17 Aug 2008 7:19 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Abbbb, it is cotogran or same sounding name. Just hose it down, looks like speckled granite that twinkles in sun.

Like 0      
17 Aug 2008 7:41 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Yes More that's the person.

One of my bug bears when someone doesn't follow through to the end with a question of forums.

Abbbb1 - your yearly charges don't sound that high but then again it depends on what you get for them.

Mine are a 1/4 of yours but then our pool is open from June to September and the only other thing we jointly pay for is lighting.  You pays for what you receive and we get sweet f/a but for a holiday home it's ideal.  Still doesn't stop our owners complaining especially the english ones.

Can't wait to live there full time and listen to it daily. 

Like 0      
17 Aug 2008 9:09 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar

More:  That's the one!  Spot on.  I was a bit dubious of "grot-coat"!! 

Semi:  We pay upkeep on 2 pools (one kids and one adult one + water). that are avail for 12 months of the year  The kids don't use their designated pool - definitely a white elephant.  There was a suggestion this year that it was turned into a jacuzzi, for initial fee - but same maintenance fee - but voted down. A gardener for the lawned areas; lighting, insurance, fees for president, vice president; & auditor; general admin and translations.

Love our house and pool areas- got my doubts about the community!

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
17 Aug 2008 9:44 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

We have insurance, especially for our electric entry gate.

Someone drove into it and broke the mechanisation.  It was taken off the hinges and propped up by the arch, luckily some nearby neighbours managed to stop some "people" from running off with it.  Scrap metal big money out in Spain as well as here in UK.

Only thing we pay for is someone to look after the pool.  Residents also chip in during the winter to save money but it is only a small pool.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Olympic Men's Four Final - 4 posts
JET2 FLIGHT CHANGE 2009 - 2 posts
URGENT ADVICE NEEDED - 6 posts
Communidad de Propietarios to apply for Cédula. - 7 posts
Algeciras - 0 posts
Summer Holiday at Parque Botanico - 7 posts
moving to spain - 3 posts
schools - 2 posts
no samos pool??!! - 2 posts
TRANSLATING A WEBPAGE INTO ENGLISH. - 3 posts
San Javier (near Murcia Airport) Garage Required For Long term Rent - 0 posts
Telemicro Levante - 22 posts
Name of satellite for Spanish digital tv - 12 posts
Max Kite - 0 posts
Montana Roja ( Corralejo, Fuerteventura ) - avoid !!!!!! - 0 posts
shani and paul - 4 posts
MONETARY COMPENSATION FROM ANYONE INVOLVED IN LOSING THEIR MONEY - 1 posts
HEALTH CARE - 7 posts
problems at nueva ribera beach club - 10 posts
Security gates, window grills ramps, anything metal. - 0 posts
Lettings Agency - 3 posts
Jennifer Heredades PHASE 1 Development - 4 posts
Title Deeds - 1 posts
the diamond ex catering - 0 posts
Development forums & deleting them ! (Again) - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 35

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x