HEALTH CARE

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Aug 2008 12:00 AM by cgaynor Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi there.  We are new to the site and are looking for some advice.  We have purchased an off plan  in Marina del Castillo which is almost complete.  We did not intend to keep it this long but have been unable to sell so it looks as though we will be living in Spain soon.  Can anyone advise on medical insurance.  My husband and I are both in our 50's

Like 0      
14 Aug 2008 3:50 PM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

Hi

There is a very large section on Healthcare in Spain on this forum- 462 posts to be precise- someone there must have surely answered your question! Have a look as this has been discussed many times and there are many people in your situation.

Good luck!

Like 0      
15 Aug 2008 1:05 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Xetog is right, many have asked same question before so check out this board, click blue link >>   Healthcare in Spain & wade through relevant threads.

Also, can I suggest you join your owners forum too, just click blue link

Marina del Castillo

Like 0      
15 Aug 2008 9:05 AM by Max Kite Star rating in Castilléjar, Granada. 308 posts Send private message

Max Kite´s avatar
Hi

You can use a European health card for emergencies while you are sorting out your private health care.

Incredibly, there is no way for you to join the Spanish health care system without having a job.  There is no system in place.

Sanitas is now a subsidiary of BUPA, so if you have insurance in UK with them, you might be able to negotiate terms with Sanitas.

Even though we are all in the big happy family (???!!) called Europe, in reality nothing is really joined up.  All those in Brussels / Strasbourg preen and talk incessantly, only interrupted by incredible lunches, but don't deal with the fine print.  

Why do I need a passport to go back to U.K.?

Why can't I have a residencia card like we had before?  (Now it's a c$$$$y piece of paper).

Why can't I get healthcare in any European country?

Sorry, but these MEPs have got to get their fingers out - they are costing us all a bomb and doing b$$$$r all.

Like 0      
15 Aug 2008 12:43 PM by Tamsin Star rating. 169 posts Send private message

Please also remember that if you are resident in Spain you are not entitled to ' free' healthcare in the UK .  What many people don't realise is that it is your residency status that determines if  you are entitled to treatment or not , not your  nationality .   UK has been very lapse about this in the past but the govermnment is  tightening up  as NHS  Trusts realise there is money to be made out of overseas visitors.    Saying that the Spansh healthcare is probably better now than the UK .

Like 0      
17 Aug 2008 12:55 PM by Max Kite Star rating in Castilléjar, Granada. 308 posts Send private message

Max Kite´s avatar
Tamsin is absolutely right - although many people simply give their old address when in U.K. and "fake it".

Spanish healthcare is years ahead of UK.  

My wife has had spinal surgery in Granada and the wards were spotless - cleaners scrubbing all day - behind TV, walls, floors, beds etc.  Couldn't fault it.  Also, emergency services are fantastic (in 20 minutes of arrival one time after an accident, someone I know had had ECG, CAT scan, X Rays, blood test results, exam, drip put up etc.)

Like 0      
18 Aug 2008 2:23 PM by Sonia El Star rating in Wales / Carvajal, F.... 212 posts Send private message

Am I right in believing that provided you have a UK address you can split your time between Spain and UK and not lose your entitlement to NHS care? 

We are hoping to move out there in about 4 years and because OH will be of pension age I understand that we get free healthcare.  But we may be coming back to UK for part of the year - I personally can't cope with the summer temperatures - and don't want to be classed as an overseas visitor.

Like 0      
18 Aug 2008 4:10 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Someone spoke to Newcastle about this and posted the answer.

Have a look in Healthcare to see if it's there.

I think it was around the time that the postings were going on about the non residents certificate and freezing of bank accounts so it may even be in that thread.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

problems at nueva ribera beach club - 10 posts
Security gates, window grills ramps, anything metal. - 0 posts
Lettings Agency - 3 posts
Jennifer Heredades PHASE 1 Development - 4 posts
Title Deeds - 1 posts
the diamond ex catering - 0 posts
Development forums & deleting them ! (Again) - 0 posts
A lighthearted look at life with great animal (only) videos. - 10 posts
water pressure HELP! - 3 posts
Which mortgage sounds better? - 8 posts
Progress of building work - 3 posts
Alcaidesa: do not recommend people to go there.... - 0 posts
Tickets for Volvo Masters Valderamma - 5 posts
Ryanair to launch hand luggage-only flights in October - 0 posts
Re-location - 3 posts
Easyjet at Alicante..............terminal 2 - 6 posts
Telimicro GONE - 212 posts
Spanish/English Wills - 18 posts
New member "SNOW" - 1 posts
Latest photos - 2 posts
Long Let Security against bad tenants - 4 posts
walking groups in costa blanca - 7 posts
Ryanair Debit/Credit Card Charges - 108 posts
Disappeared - 11 posts
More Community Problems - 30 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x