Car Tax

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Jul 2008 12:00 AM by Cormona Star rating. 69 posts Send private message

Cormona´s avatar

I have a spanish car which I use only for holidays the road tax runs out in Jan 09 I wont be back in Spain until April 09 does it matter if the road tax is not paid in Jan is there any extra cost for not paying it on time due to I dont live in Spain can anybody give me advice.

Like 0      
30 Jul 2008 8:09 AM by J&N Star rating in Nottinghamshire. 342 posts Send private message

J&N´s avatar
We have recently bought our Spanish car and when talking about road tax to the dealer he advised us that your local council has 1 month each year when they do road tax so it doesn't matter when it runs out, it gets renewed in that month. Ours runs out in December (I think they all run Jan-Dec) but Pulpi do their's in May or June. He did say that british people sometimes have difficulty in accepting they can use a car that doesn't have current road tax - but it's the norm over here. 

Maybe someone who's been here longer can confirm this?

Jacqui

http://relocatetospain.blogspot.com our adventure from deciding to move to Spain to being here and moving back to the UK.

Like 0      
30 Jul 2008 4:29 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

I don't own a car in Spain but every March I get a suma bill (for car tax) in the previous owners name.

She moved to Australia a couple of months before I bought the property and she gave the car to the person who acted as her power of attorney.  I think he kept the car as payment but although he pays the tax each year he hasn't changed over ownership.

I think there's a time scale as to when the bill must be paid.

Like 0      
30 Jul 2008 11:35 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
On the bill, there should be a box titled "periodo pago". Mine is 1st April to 14th June, for the current calender year. It must be paid during this window, or you will incur a penalty. If you don't live in Spain, your best bet is to pay it by direct debit. When you visit in April, if you haven't already received the bill for 2009, take the 2008 bill to your bank, or the relevant dept. at your local town hall, to set this up.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

A great achievement for More, 5000 posts !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 19 posts
Fiesta info - 7 posts
non resident bank account - 173 posts
300th Post! - 1 posts
Avoiding a capital gain - one for legal eagles and tax experts ! - 0 posts
can we submit the Tax form 214 ourselves? - 29 posts
Help – property management/key holding La Torre - 6 posts
mike/karalyn - 0 posts
Bomb exploded this morning in Torremolinos, please will our Roberto check in ! - 3 posts
Generator for sale Mojacar Vera Almeria area - 0 posts
Hello - 5 posts
Spanish company checks - 0 posts
Generator for sale ( Mojacar Almeria area ) - 0 posts
Information, please? - 4 posts
Martinsa-Fadesa - 1 posts
lights - 4 posts
Tonight with Trevor Macdonald - 11 posts
Marbella Occupancy Licences - 0 posts
Beginners on Renting!! - 1 posts
Screwed by a Brit - 64 posts
A new beginning (here's hoping !) - 2 posts
Which Removal Company? - 4 posts
Hoax Virus E-Mail Message - 3 posts
Shocking news: My hometown's Grand Pier burnt down earlier today. - 16 posts
Correct Spanish Address. - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x