Solicitors fees

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
20 Jun 2008 12:00 AM by lynnbenton2001 Star rating in Staffordshire. 20 posts Send private message

Hi everyone,

A bit of advice would be much appreciated!

We are purchasing two apartments on United Golf Resorts La Tercia with the primary aim of renting them. We have completed on one of them and negotiated our legal fee down to 1.5% of the purchase price from 3%. Even the lower rate seemed high to us, but at least it was a 50% cut! Our solicitors are PSI.

We recently had the breakdown for the second apartment showing 3% legal fees again. We have questioned this, pointing out that we would have thought that this should be a simpler purchase as there is no mortgage involved. This is their reply:

"On the matter of the PSI legal fee please be advised that your first property had a Spanish mortgage which means that our fee was reduced due to the mortgage provider making the tax payments for the purchase. However your second property for us will entail more work for us as there is no mortgage provider to make the work."

Is this true or a load of baloney!

Look forward to hearing from someone out there! Thank goodness for this forum!

Kind regards,
Lynn & John

Like 0      
20 Jun 2008 4:19 PM by samson Star rating in Solihull/Benalmadena. 125 posts Send private message

Gosh 3% for solicitors fees is extortionate. We completed on a property last October and our legal fees were .5% arre you sure they are not including other charges in there like notary fees etc. Your total costs inc your IVA etc should be about 11% of the total purchase price.

Like 0      
20 Jun 2008 4:46 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar
Hi Lynn,
PSI are known for being expensive.
By using PSI I take it you bought through Ambasun?
maybe some of that 3% finds it way somewhere else if you know what i mean
For example the lawyer i use charges a flat fee of 1,000€ for a complete conyeyancing service,i have no doubt you could find cheaper,but he is very good.
What PSI are saying is that when you take a mortgage the bank will do a lot of the work for the lawyers because they have a shared interest in the proiperty,basically because they are lending against it.
Even so the lawyers should make the same checks on YOUR behalf.
If you are going to be takeing a mortgage the overall fees could be anywhere from 11%-13% depending on the mortgage set up costs.

Like 0      
20 Jun 2008 6:06 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
Our solicitor charged us 1% which included obtaining NIE numbers on our behalf and also includes a year's worht of legal advice and tax planning. 3% sounds like extortion to me!

Mark

Like 0      
20 Jun 2008 8:39 PM by scampi Star rating in London & Alfaix nr. .... 91 posts Send private message

scampi´s avatar
I know PSI - their charges are clearly laid out and do cover everything. You should have checked this at the start.

Like 0      
20 Jun 2008 9:33 PM by lynnbenton2001 Star rating in Staffordshire. 20 posts Send private message

This is the first breakdown we've had!

Like 0      
21 Jun 2008 5:50 AM by scampi Star rating in London & Alfaix nr. .... 91 posts Send private message

scampi´s avatar
I understand that but did you not ask for a breakdown of charges at the start. I recieved this without asking and made my decision accordinlgy. I would never hire people without knowing the fees.

Like 0      
19 Aug 2008 9:13 PM by michaelrose Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

We dealt with Pablo Marcos, excellent service with contact mainly via his two Englsh assistants Tania and Christine. To complete they charged 800euros or 600euros if you didn't require a mortgage. They also provide other services and will handle wealth/rate taxes.  

Pablo Fernández Marcos,
Calle Fotógrafos Darblade 3, 1º-B,
03181 Torrevieja,
Alicante,

0034 96 692 75 84

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

hola, new in spain and struggling, friends and advice needed. - 16 posts
hola - 1 posts
Demolished villa in Catral - 20 posts
long Term Rental 2 or 3 bedroom required near to Marbella - 5 posts
car hire alicante station - 2 posts
helllooooo - 7 posts
Transfer Charges between Spanish Banks - 4 posts
El Grajuela Near Dos Mares C.C. San Javier - 8 posts
ronnie - 10 posts
Property - A nett zero investment - 29 posts
Organising an informal meetup/language exchange - Marbella area - 0 posts
A few problems in addition to bankers guarantee - 1 posts
UK passport renewal in Spain. - 4 posts
Can you help Little Tomas? Come and Join the Fun Day and Race Night - 0 posts
Resident with interest-only mortgage expiring - 1 posts
Tel number for Rightmove in Spain - 9 posts
WLK 2 - 0 posts
PLAYA GOLF - 9 posts
English / Spanish Law - 2 posts
PSI/Ambasun - Jumilla - 4 posts
sky tv in spain. - 1 posts
sky tv in spain. - 36 posts
sky tv in spain. - 4 posts
Who forgot to put 50p in the meter? - 0 posts
help i`m new !!!!!! - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x