developers starting selling property in Sterling..

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 May 2008 12:00 AM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Hi All,

Some time ago when the exchange rate was dropping we started to do transactions for house purchases in sterling,this eradicated the poor exchange and helped people get a better deal.

Today one of the biggest builders in the area has told me that they are now doing the same,although they are Spanish they realise that a good percentage of their property is sold to Brits,by selling in Pounds this will in essence lower the price by 10% and give people the rate that they were getting last year.

At Last a builder that listens.....

Like 0      
06 May 2008 1:07 PM by Acapulco Star rating in Costa Blanca South.. 342 posts Send private message

Acapulco´s avatar
Sounds sensible, not sure that 10% will take prices down to last years level though, but it is a big step in the right direction.

If you're going through hell keep on going, you might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

Like 0      
06 May 2008 1:50 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Hi Acapulco,

What they are saying is that if people are putting off a purchase because of the rate bobbing around at 1.26,they will agree a sterling price at a higher rate for example 1.40.

What this will do is give you an extra 14,000€ for every £100,000 you spend,this gives you £10,000 more spending power,the list price on the property hasn't risen in 6 months but the price in pounds has because of the weak pound.

if that makes sense........

Like 0      
06 May 2008 2:41 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Sounds sensible to me

Mark

Like 0      
06 May 2008 2:51 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

and as you are phisically paying in pounds there are no exchange or transfer costs as the builders place the money into a sterling account here in Spain.

and you get a better rate than anyone else buying through a developer that doesn't do this.

The other bonus is that they have about 12 projects to look at,sometimes the catch would be,yes we can do this but we only have 3 properties to choose from.

At least it shows that someone has recognised a problem and is using forward thinking,,,sadly unlike the Spanish Government who recently announced that maybe that shoulod be looking at more industries that construction to boost the economy,....really!!!! i wonder how many advisors it took to come up with that gem..........

Like 0      
06 May 2008 3:36 PM by Acapulco Star rating in Costa Blanca South.. 342 posts Send private message

Acapulco´s avatar
Politicians the world over seem very good at stating the obvious.

If you're going through hell keep on going, you might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

Like 0      
06 May 2008 6:04 PM by rowlandsbb Star rating in Gloucestershire &Hue.... 779 posts Send private message

rowlandsbb´s avatar

Just looks as a way of giving a discount.....nothing wrong with that....most UK buyers at any time, high rate or low rate, eventually are only really interested in the cost to them in £#

I am already only quoting prices in £ in UK

Nearly everyone quotes before IVA...but not all Spanish builders [or agents for that matter.]

Quoting a price in £ inc IVA has always seemed a sensible approach to me but unless everyone does it.... .... up to now if you include the IVA you appear to be quoting a higher price than other agents!!

I'm sure that if VAT applied to houses in UK builders would quote the inclusive price......perhaps this may yet be another change which will come from the current down turn  !!!   

Over the weekend it was circa 1.2804 so perhaps it is crawling it's way back!!!

Like 0      
06 May 2008 9:56 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Hi Rowlandsb,

i think you missed the point i was making which i suppose is understandable as you are in the UK and maybe dont understand quite how it works over here.

They are SELLING in pounds,not just advertising the price in pounds,they will except pounds at notary with a set rate before hand allowing people to have a higher rate of exchange without actually exchanging.

By law when operating as a licenced estate agent in Spain you must advertise the price firstly in € and then you can advertise in a currency that you are marketting at,ie £....

the difference is that the whole transaction takes place in a foreign currency.

As it being just a discount,well actually you can ask for discount on top and generally you get it...........

I am unbeatable at discount haggling(if i do say so myself) my best so far from a developer is 50% off list price........

anyway,back to the point,i thought it was quite a good idea(as i mentioned it to them) and for once it isn't a hidden promotion it's there to help both buyer and seller alike....

Like 0      
06 May 2008 10:05 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

sorry,just to add,you should always quote prices plus 7% whether it is new build IVA or Resale Transmission tax.

This keeps a happy medium and allows buyers of new or resale property to have the mindset that they must add at least 12% to the figure they are shown for the property,if you dont then you can be conned on the actual price of the house as it can be hidden.

The rate dropped down to 1.26 again this morning and i think will probably hover around that for the forseeable.

The other downside to advertising prices in £ is that the rate changes every second and you could be charged with mis selling if you work in the UK,unless your advertising boards are digital you will never keep up......

Like 0      
07 May 2008 10:13 AM by rowlandsbb Star rating in Gloucestershire &Hue.... 779 posts Send private message

rowlandsbb´s avatar

So the developer is selling in £ sterling and taking the risk on the exchange rate when he eventually needs to convert to €

But to sell in £ a product bult in € there still has to be an exchange rate used to convert

Eg 100,000 € Spanish product sold in £ ......is the £ price  £78,125 @ 1.28 or £80,000 at 1.25...or £75,757 @ 1.32

If the rate at time of purchase is better than the market rate , then that is just a discount

Developers gives me 1.32 [ want £75,757 from me]  when the rate is 1.28 then for his 100.000 € product when he converts at 1.28 he only gets 96.968 € 

As regards now quoting in £ in UK you can also add ' prices from circa £........ [ @ 1.28 € tp £] bit long winded perhaps ! 

This message was last edited by rowlandsbb on 5/7/2008.

Like 0      
07 May 2008 11:48 AM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

the exchange rate is the risk the developer is willing to take,there is no difference that the normal situation when the buyer is taking the risk that the rate drops,if you agree a figure in sterling there is nothing to drop or rise as a pound is a pound.

Also some sterling accounts in Spain will give you up to 10% interest so if he can afford to keep the money in here then the risk is minimal,he can then make an educated decision on when to exchange if needed.

The difference being if you advertise a property at x amount of pounds based on an exchange rate in the UK your price will be changing daily,if the developer fixes the price in pounds nothing changes.hence the advantage........

Like 0      
07 May 2008 1:33 PM by sharonw Star rating in Coin, Malaga. 281 posts Send private message

sharonw´s avatar

So I guess the rate will be fixed at the time of signing the purchase contract - it sounds like a good idea and certainly should help by way of an incentive for people not to lose faith in investing in Spain!   however as the purchaser will be paying sterling at the notary they would still need to get the funds to Spain, (I know there a couple of banks where you can hold a sterling account)  I don't think there are too many people wanting to bring a suitcase full of cash over on a plane! also where there is a  mortgage involved this will still need to be paid in euros, again, there are a few lenders offering sterling mortgages on Spanish properties but not all clients will meet their particular criteria!

Regards

Sharon

sharon@tmasspain.com

www.themortgageservicegroup.com

Like 0      
07 May 2008 1:51 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Hi Sharon,yes that's exactly right,

i thought there would be more problems when i first did this with a client,basically it is so easy its untrue...

If you are buying with cash you bring with you a bankers draft from your UK bank.

If you are using a mortgage then its the amount owed minus the mortgage.

You will need a few Euros for taxes and legal fees etc but the majority can be done in sterling,no transfer fees or poor exchange rates just beofre you complete a trip to your UK bank to get a draft and then bring that to notary.

The last clients got an agreedd rate of 1.40!! which was 3 weeks ago when the rate was 1.24.

You can of course transfer sterling to a sterling account in Spain,i know at least 5 banks that do these and offer great rates if you want to leave some in there.

Like 0      
07 May 2008 2:02 PM by sharonw Star rating in Coin, Malaga. 281 posts Send private message

sharonw´s avatar

Then this sounds like a very good solution, certainly for the purchaser, in these current difficult times! And if a purchaser was in a position to take a sterling mortgage on a spanish property, all the better!

Regards

Sharon

sharon@tmasspain.com

Like 0      
07 May 2008 2:43 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Hi Sharon,

I always try to stay away from the mortgage side of things,i prefer to let the experts handle that,i would be interested to know if the UK banks will lend on Spanish property or is it a form of equity release or simply increasing the existing loan.

Regards

Georgia

Like 0      
07 May 2008 2:48 PM by sharonw Star rating in Coin, Malaga. 281 posts Send private message

sharonw´s avatar

Hi Georgia,

These are actual mortgage products granted on the Spanish property - not a form of equity release and not a case of increasing existing loan!

Regards

Sharon

sharon@tmasspain.com

Like 0      
07 May 2008 2:50 PM by kabri Star rating in Squatting in the Cos.... 45 posts Send private message

Hi Georgia,  can give you the details of another great site were the developer is giving an exchange rate of 1.40, 10% deposit and balance on completion. Fantastic location with glorious lake and river views, top construction company building the houses as well, maybe worth a look.

Like 0      
07 May 2008 2:54 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Hi Sharon,sounds like a great product,are the interest rates comparable and competitive with the Spanish banks?

Hi Kabri-sounds like it is catching on,although a lot of the properties i mentione earlier are key ready or not too distant completions,where abouts is the development,i think the guys that are doing their bit to attract clients deserve a mention..

Like 0      
07 May 2008 3:01 PM by kabri Star rating in Squatting in the Cos.... 45 posts Send private message

Hi Georgia,  i know what your saying, however we are due to move in our in August this year, i missed out on the deal as we did our contract earlier, i think the offer is limited to houses coming up for completion this summer so not too long to wait, at least it goes some way to helping out witht his awful exchange rate problem effecting us brits, every little bit helps. 

Like 0      
07 May 2008 3:51 PM by sharonw Star rating in Coin, Malaga. 281 posts Send private message

sharonw´s avatar

Hi Georgia,

Actually there are a couple! and yes, I would certainly say they are competative, rate wise!

Regards

Sharon

sharon@tmasspain.com

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Justice reforms - 6 posts
Still a UK Resident ? - Maximise your Principal Private Residence Relief - 0 posts
EOS Learn Spanish ebook - 2 posts
WEB SITE FOR COMMUNITY - 22 posts
Those grilles that need painting !! - 8 posts
Minorca - 2 posts
Gran Alacant, Costa Blanca - 4 posts
Banco Halifax - 5 posts
CHEMISTS/FARMACIA - 16 posts
Justin, re last 20 threads - 8 posts
Is this a legal letter? - 6 posts
UK Self Assessment - 5 posts
Going Out To Tender! - 0 posts
Beds Almoradi/Dolores/Orihuela Area - 5 posts
New London Mayor - 20 posts
Increased costs for Ryanair luggage from Mon 5th May - 10 posts
Buying Property in Trampolin Hills Albudeite - 1 posts
Importing a boat from usa to Spain, - 1 posts
Furniture For Sale - 14 posts
Eclipse in Manilva - 0 posts
help upon minimum notification required from developer of completion - 6 posts
Hi everyone - 2 posts
WHAT TO DO IN THE EVENT OF A TRAFFIC ACCIDENT - 21 posts
confirmation required - 1 posts
Hi from Megmerlin got a question re Building works - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 20

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x