Personal freshness !!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
17 Apr 2008 12:00 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Now I've got all your attention  I thought I'd give you the benefit of my knowledge.

Some time ago I was really annoyed that my usual deodorent was causing white marks on my new black teeshirts & someone told me about Mitchum which they said wouldn't cause these white marks & was exceptionally effective, although a bit pricey. Since then both my OH & I have used Mitchum &, certainly whilst in Spain in the summer, we have been well pleased with its performance. As it's a fair bit more costly generally than the one we were using we were on a mission to find it at a lower price than most stores & were chuffed to find the 50ml ones (Powder Fresh) in Wilko's for £1.19 instead of around 30p more. However, Wilko's have recently upped their price to, I think, £1.34 though I expect other stores have also increased their prices. Still ace at that. (Not quite Lidl's 49p price  but no white marks either).

Yesterday, we were wandering around Tesco's & saw lots of the Mitchum range including Mitchum for Men roll on deos (Ice Fresh, a really great fragrance) on a buy 2 for £3.50 offer till May sometime, 13th I think it was, & they were 100ml not the 50ml. They now have 48hr protection written on front of product.

Judging by the overpowering unpleasant whiffs on our local market in Spain there's a market for this product, could be a good sideline for our trips to Spain.

I just read this review which I thought was very good REVIEW

Like 0      
17 Apr 2008 2:08 PM by Sonia El Star rating in Wales / Carvajal, F.... 212 posts Send private message

Hi More

Read the review. Is this a liquid type roll-on?  I have to use the cream stick type which are usually about £1.75+. Can't use sprays or roll-ons due to allergic reaction some years ago to depilatory cream but still need to be smelling nice!!

It's not just Spain that needs to market deoderants more. I've nearly fainted sometimes by some individuals who pass by - or worse who you sit next to on bus / train. I had a manager a couple of years ago (scruffy young thing but trajectory level manager) who was so smelly that I had to keep sniffing on my hanky to stop from gagging when we were in the same room for any length of time.  

Heard a scare rumour this week that the aluminium in deodorants is thought to contribute to breast cancer. I checked the ingredients and there it was number one. It is thought to penetrate the skin. So perhaps the smelly people have got it right?

Like 0      
17 Apr 2008 2:09 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Hi Sonia, yes, it is a liquid roll on but they had the solid stick one as well , all on offer as far as I can recall.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 4/17/2008.

Like 0      
17 Apr 2008 6:10 PM by Acapulco Star rating in Costa Blanca South.. 342 posts Send private message

Acapulco´s avatar
I thought the aluminium problem only applied to Spray cans.

If you're going through hell keep on going, you might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

Like 0      
17 Apr 2008 7:22 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

So this Swede went into a chemist and said, "I'd like a deodorant, please"

"Ball or aerosol?" asked the chemist.

"Neither," said the Swede, "It's for under my arms."

Like 0      
17 Apr 2008 8:08 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Behave Bob, this is serious.

Like 0      
17 Apr 2008 8:34 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

I went to the same pharmacist and said I wanted the anal deodorant.  He said they don't sell them.  I said I bought the last one from there but he insisted they didn't sell them.  I went home, got the old one out of the bin and took it back.  "There", I said, an anal deodorant.  "This is for underarms", he said, "why did you think it was an anal one?".  I pointed to the instructions on the packet.  It clearly stated "Push up bottom to use".

Like 0      
17 Apr 2008 10:24 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
I only really use deodorant during the summer or on the days that I go to the gym. I am not very sweaty and I believe that the less chemicals you use on the body the better. The breast cancer thing worries me and also I get strange skin pigmentation around this area from deodorant. I don't smell bad, promise.

Susan

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
18 Apr 2008 8:09 AM by jane b Star rating in Bedar, Almeria. 222 posts Send private message

jane b´s avatar

A few years back I had a small cyst at the edge of my underarm/breast area.  My (Spanish) doctor said they are very common and caused by deodorants (not aluminium related, just anything that blocks the pores).  She said that after a course of antibiotics to clear it I needed to bin ALL conventional deodorants and use a Thai Mineral Bar deodorant stone.  It is like a crystalline block of soap which you wet and stroke under the arm.  I was really sceptical (especially as they are quite expensive) but I gave it a go.  OH and I have never looked back and we have introduced them to lots of friends, all of whom are total converts.

My local source of supply disappeared so we recently decided to import them and sell them for a local group which raises money for the AECC (Spanish cancer charity which funds more than 50% of the Spanish breast screening programme).  If anyone would like one they can contact me with a pm (hope this isn't against forum rules, but it is all for charity). They are €12 which is pretty well the least that you pay for them on line and in UK, but they last for AGES - we both use the same one and they last over 2 years (unless we drop them and then they shatter!)

Re Susan's comment - quite right, as the doc said when she saw my horrified face at the idea of not using deodorant in summer temperatures in southern Spain:  it is not the sweat that smells, it is the stale sweat on clothes and skin!

www.fincalaserenidad.com

Like 0      
18 Apr 2008 10:06 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Jane, I've heard of these. Just Googled for info & found this which those in the UK may like to consider purchasing from.

Thai Mineral Bar deodorant stone £6.94 inc VAT (cannot find P&P details without giving them my email details etc)

Like 0      
18 Apr 2008 10:35 AM by jane b Star rating in Bedar, Almeria. 222 posts Send private message

jane b´s avatar
Thanks More.  How interesting in that these are the people we bought from and I see they have just reduced their retail price from £8.94 (which made our price a good one) to £6.94 - not good news for us but it is still good value for those who live in Spain.

www.fincalaserenidad.com

Like 0      
18 Apr 2008 5:39 PM by mazz66 Star rating in los montesinos. 28 posts Send private message

hey bobaol that made me laugh about the anal deodorant, i thought i was reading a serious comment. lol

Like 0      
21 Apr 2008 12:21 AM by jules1 Star rating in St Ives, Cambridgesh.... 264 posts Send private message

jules1´s avatar

I can thoroughly endorse what More has said about Mitcham. It is excellent. I wouldn't use anything else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Julia

Like 0      
01 May 2008 12:23 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Jane, just wanted to say thank you so much for the info on the deodorant stones!!  Having lost my mother to breast cancer over thirty years ago (she was very young), I myself have used an organic, parabens free, deodorant for some time, but was fascinated by the thai stone that you mentioned, but thought my chances of getting it here were zilch!  Until this morning, when I went to do my weekly shop at our one and only organic shop, only to find they had some just in!!! 

Again, many thanks for the recommendation - I'd never heard of them before!!

Like 0      
18 May 2008 7:42 PM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

Hi everyone

I read this post (heck, I read them all!!!) and it roused an interest. I did some investigation and thought I'd give it a try. I bought mine from

http://www.buyinconfidence.com/acatalog/Crystal_Rock_Deodorants.html

They charge £2.95 postage and have a special offer on at present - 3 for £10. I also found out that it costs the same to post to Spain!

Anyway, I bought one for £3.99 (plus p&p) to try. It's brilliant stuff. No more white marks on my clothes and it performs even better than all the 'normal' deodorants.

I told the girls at work about it and we bought a further 6 - still the same postage and packing, would you believe!

So, thank you all very much for this thread. As always, you lot are a mine of first-class information.. and look at all the people you've converted.

Give yourselves a huge pat on the back.

Bye

Irene

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Hippodromo Aifos - 3 posts
MORTGAGE CURVEBALLS - 4 posts
We are NEW to posting - 18 posts
Best place to start when learning Spanish.....? - 11 posts
Where in Spain? - 8 posts
Introduction - 6 posts
Tax relief - 4 posts
Marilyn from Essex - 5 posts
Mortgage and Bank problems Help!! - 2 posts
IKEA'S ONE DAY 21% OFF SALE (RUMOURED) FOR SAT 19TH APRIL (21ST ANNIVERSARY) - 2 posts
jet 2....99p - 32 posts
Ollis Treff - 1 posts
Internet / broadband etc. - 4 posts
Three Spanish property developers face debt pressure - 0 posts
Registration deadline for primary/infant spanish school - HELP !! - 4 posts
YOUNG DRIVERS - 15 posts
HELP - TRAIN OR COACH INFORMATION NEEDED - 1 posts
quick question about community fee's?? :) - 15 posts
ailish new development vista lago - 0 posts
Website problems - 6 posts
British Doctors - 6 posts
Tried to start a new thread but not working, you can sell tumbeldriers but not a house when your desperate. - 1 posts
Europa 1 restaurant on Guardamar promenade, CB - 16 posts
Dogs in need of a home - 0 posts
Buying a computer in spain - 27 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 15

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x