Where in Spain?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
17 Apr 2008 12:00 AM by justcolour Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Where in Spain is the best place to live... I have two children ages 15 months and 2-1/2 years. I work from home and must have a good broadband connection... (which doesn't cut out every other hour) good schools for the kids and we as parents will go where the kids will be happy... any thoughts... it doesn't have to be 'ex-pat land' ~ Thanks ~ Paul ~ ps ~ my first thread so hello!

Like 0      
17 Apr 2008 12:38 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi there Paul, welcome to EOS.

Every other new member asks much the same so trawl through the threads & you'll find endless discussions. Unfortunately people tend to post all over the forum so they will often be hidden.  

At the end of the day you should consider venturing over for a couple of holidays in say the CDS (Costa del Sol) & the CB (Costa Blanca) & touring around though those who've bought in the CA (Costa Almeria) will feel left out if I omit to mention that area. What suits one won't suit another.  If you don't live in "ex-pat" land you will need some Spanish too.

Good luck in your search.

Like 0      
17 Apr 2008 2:52 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Hi Paul

Welcome to Eye on Spain.

I think your question is "too big".  Everyone has their own area of Spain which is of interest to them for different reasons.

We live in Manilva and have two young kids and are very happy here.  We have broadband....although we didn't for two years!

Have you been to any areas of Spain?  If you can narrow your search then you'll get more advice from people that know those individual areas well.

Best of luck with your plans.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
17 Apr 2008 3:20 PM by justcolour Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Thanks peeps... I thought it was a 'how long is a piece of string' kind-a question but worth the shot anyway.... I shall have to do the leg work... in all that sunshine... doh!

Like 0      
17 Apr 2008 5:26 PM by J&N Star rating in Nottinghamshire. 342 posts Send private message

J&N´s avatar

Hi, welcome to EOS, I'm sure you will find it so useful (and fairly addictive). I think one way to start would be to list some major criteria that you would need, as this may discount some areas and narrow the search. In our initial stages of looking we started off by discovering where we didn't want to be rather than where we did. Then we visited to get a feel for some of the areas until we found where we felt we could move to and feel 'at home'

And thank you More for remembering us 'Almeria bods'

And yes, having some knowledge of the language is useful, I have just spent 15 minutes on the phone to our new golf club in Spain trying to sort out some basic info, and between my very little spanish and their very little english we eventually got there. I am reasonably confident in speaking face to face but over the phone my brain went to mush and I felt quite stupid.

Jacqui

http://relocatetospain.blogspot.com our adventure from deciding to move to Spain to being here and moving back to the UK.

Like 0      
18 Apr 2008 12:18 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I also hate speaking Spanish on the 'phone - you can't wave your hands around frantically as effectively.

Justin is right about the question being too "big". You have to narrow down your search somehow. When we first came to Spain, we went to Mallorca, for precisely the reason that being an island it naturally limits your search area. However, after 4 years or so, I got stir crazy and had to get off. Island life sounds ideal, but a 1 hour drive coast to coast tends to limit your horizons - literally.

Certainly, figuring out where you don't want to be, is a good start.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
18 Apr 2008 10:55 AM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

this may help,you need to ask yourself a few questions first and then go and visit to see if it matches your expectations.

1. What is your budget and what do you expect and require from that?

i.e. Some areas are more expensive than others,ask yourself what is more important, a detached villa in a cheaper area or an apartment in a more exclusive location.

Spain is no different than the UK in some respects as in you will pay more for a 1 bed Kensington apartment than a 3 bed detached in Oxford.

When you know the answer to your first question search through some websites and see what you can get for your money.

When you have narrowed down which Costa,you can move on.

2.Is it for permanent residence or holiday use?

Here on the Costa Blanca there are very definite divides between the two,if you want people around you (not just for the summer months) schools,shops,amenities,Internet access etc...

This will help you narrow down your area search.

3.Do you speak the language?

Beleive it or not this will determine the area you will feel comfortable with espcially if you have children,you may want a predominant ex pat area,a mix or if you are feeling really adventurous you can be one of the only Foreigners in the Village.

Remember neccesity is the mother of all invention so you should be driven more by your needs.

4.How close do you really want to be to the sea?

A lot of people come to Spain with a vision of waking every morning to the sound of crashing waves and a beatiful blue vista.

The reality is it can be very busy in the summer and dead in the winter,more permanent residence choose to live about 15-30 mins inland,the prices are better,you get a higher yearly occupancy level(neighbours) and you tend to get a better mix of nationalities,e.g i live 15 mins inland and my youngest daughter is only one of three brits in a class of 16.

And of course if you are working you dont get time for dreamy walks along the beach every morning as you are busy getting the kids ready for school and off to work,( normal life).

I could go on and on and some will tell you i generally do but this is a small guide to start your search.

Hope this helps anyone who is starting out...

Regards

Georgia

Like 0      
23 May 2008 12:48 AM by shar Star rating in Campo in Albatera, C.... 36 posts Send private message

shar´s avatar
Money spent on a few visits at different times of the year will give you a better idea and it really is worth spending on coming over by your own steam and investigating areas to see how they feel try to do this a few times it really is personal and no one can tell you where to live, I think its a feeling and we sometimes dont get it right so narrow down the chances of this happening to you by doing just that!

Good luck
Sharon

Like 0      
18 Jun 2008 8:50 AM by gocat Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

...just thought I'd stick my oar in on this one.  Lots of people seem to think Spain is just about Andalucia and Comunidad Valenciana.  I've lived in Seville, Granada and near the coast in Andalucia and what I really missed more than anything else? Trees!  I now live in Catalunya - there's pine forests everywhere and they go right down to the coast - there's nothing like sitting on a beach under a pine tree.  For me it's easily the most beautiful community on Spain's Mediterranean coast and can only be rivalled by Pais Vasco, Galicia and Cantabria on the Atlantic coast (but those were too wet for us).  It has a very unique identity and culture (Catalan not Spanish) and also has the best city in Spain, if not Europe, as its capital - Barcelona.  You've also got Girona and Tarragona which are beautiful, the Pyrenees and the Balearic Islands a few hours away.  What more could you want?

Greg
GoCatalunya

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Introduction - 6 posts
Tax relief - 4 posts
Marilyn from Essex - 5 posts
Mortgage and Bank problems Help!! - 2 posts
IKEA'S ONE DAY 21% OFF SALE (RUMOURED) FOR SAT 19TH APRIL (21ST ANNIVERSARY) - 2 posts
jet 2....99p - 32 posts
Ollis Treff - 1 posts
Internet / broadband etc. - 4 posts
Three Spanish property developers face debt pressure - 0 posts
Registration deadline for primary/infant spanish school - HELP !! - 4 posts
YOUNG DRIVERS - 15 posts
HELP - TRAIN OR COACH INFORMATION NEEDED - 1 posts
quick question about community fee's?? :) - 15 posts
ailish new development vista lago - 0 posts
Website problems - 6 posts
British Doctors - 6 posts
Tried to start a new thread but not working, you can sell tumbeldriers but not a house when your desperate. - 1 posts
Europa 1 restaurant on Guardamar promenade, CB - 16 posts
Dogs in need of a home - 0 posts
Buying a computer in spain - 27 posts
bfl - 1 posts
Washing Machines and Tumble Dryers - 14 posts
Halifax Mortgage requirements - 3 posts
Spanish income tax rates and allowances - 4 posts
20% CGT refund on properties sold between 2004-2008 - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x