Best place to start when learning Spanish.....?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
17 Apr 2008 12:00 AM by Sarah Dimambro Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Hi,

My fiance and I are planning on moving to Spain as soon as we can. I would like to start to learn the language straight away (it will probably be at  least another 18 months before we can make the move)

What would be the best place to start? Evening class? Online course? Home software?

Any advise most appreciated.

Sarah

Like 0      
17 Apr 2008 1:13 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Hi Sarah,

If you look here, under the Living in and Moving To Spain discussion board, you will find the Learning Spanish thread, which has loads of useful info about learning the language, from home study, to online, to classes, etc.

Hope this helps!

Like 0      
17 Apr 2008 1:14 PM by Sarah Dimambro Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Thanks for that Pitby.

There are so many Forums I wasn't sure where to look!!

Sarah

Like 0      
17 Apr 2008 1:16 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Justin also sent members a download for helping us tackle Spanish in a recent email newsletter.

"The Spanish Language Speed Learning Course - Speak Spanish Confidently In 12 Days Or Less"

It's written around a simple system to help you learn to speak Spanish in no time.  It really is very good and you don't even have to sign up for anything or do anything apart from just downloading the ebook and start learning Spanish.  It's a gift from us to you.  You've got no excuses now!

** EDITED - Ebook available through newsletter subscription...which is free! **

This message was last edited by EOS Team on 4/17/2008.

Like 0      
17 Apr 2008 1:17 PM by wings Star rating in Leicester / Almoradi.... 26 posts Send private message

Hi Sarah,

Try everything to see what suits you.  I have tried CD's, books & even childrens learning packs over the last 18 months.  Since September 07 my OH & me have been attending evening classes & we have learnt so much more than trying to do it ourselves.  The tutor is Spanish & very supportive.  There is also a ebook on this website that you can download.  Everybody learns differently so trying all ways will find which suits you best, we like our evening class best as it is also great socially as you make new friends. 

wings

Like 0      
17 Apr 2008 1:34 PM by Sarah Dimambro Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

morerosado - The ebook looks great thanks for posting. Will definately be having a look tonight.

wings - I also thought an evening class would be the best way to go. Our local college do a 12 week course for £120 (a small investment for a second language I guess!) I just dont have it at the moment! Also my fiance works funny shifts at the moment and it's hard to get childcare in the evenings. Will definately want to do that when I can though.

Thanks, Sarah

Like 0      
17 Apr 2008 1:55 PM by Sonia El Star rating in Wales / Carvajal, F.... 212 posts Send private message

Hi Sarah

Do any of your local college run weekend courses?  I did an intensive 2 month Saturday course which was great as we learned the basics of reading, writing and speaking. Unfortunately the evening classes were really poorly attended and because I found them hard going gave up. Much depends on the tutor. Now trying to go down the text book route. 

OH is fluent but that hasn't really helped as it's a bit like learning to drive, never works with nearest and dearest. Makes for some interesting phone conversations though. We watch Spanish TV (SKY) and when in Spain. It is actually easier when you're in the country and immersed in the language.

Good luck.

Like 0      
17 Apr 2008 4:43 PM by lifeline Star rating in Murcia. 365 posts Send private message

lifeline´s avatar
I use free weekly downloads of coffeebreak spanish and listen to them on my MP3 player. You can also back date them and run through them all! 15 minute lessons is NOT a chore.

Daveil

Like 0      
17 Apr 2008 4:55 PM by Sarah Dimambro Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Thanks lifeline, would be worth a look. Do you have a link?

Like 0      
17 Apr 2008 4:58 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Lifeline, I agree - they are great!  In fact, I first posted about them last October!!

Such easy, easy learning!  I have all sixty podcasts on my ipod - although must admit, haven't actually got through all of them yet!  I find it great to have on in the car - but kept forgetting to take my ipod with  me!!  Sorted now though - as just keep it in the car!!!

Thoroughly recommend coffeebreakspanish.com if you're okay just learning at your own pace on your own.

edited to say: www.coffeebreakspanish.com

That's the link Sarah - you can download it into iTunes.

This message was last edited by Pitby on 4/17/2008.

Like 0      
17 Apr 2008 5:16 PM by Sarah Dimambro Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Thanks for that, looks perfect for me at the moment. Will have a look tonight one the kids have gone to bed!

Sarah

Like 0      
18 Apr 2008 7:24 AM by ayobnyrnep Star rating. 17 posts Send private message

I don't live in Spain (yet) either, but I have been learning the language using the Michel Thomas courses and I think they are absolutely brilliant. You need no books at all and can use them in the car  or on an ipod to make good use of your travel time.

In addition, I recommend www.polyglot-learn-language.com and finding a penfriend.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Where in Spain? - 8 posts
Introduction - 6 posts
Tax relief - 4 posts
Marilyn from Essex - 5 posts
Mortgage and Bank problems Help!! - 2 posts
IKEA'S ONE DAY 21% OFF SALE (RUMOURED) FOR SAT 19TH APRIL (21ST ANNIVERSARY) - 2 posts
jet 2....99p - 32 posts
Ollis Treff - 1 posts
Internet / broadband etc. - 4 posts
Three Spanish property developers face debt pressure - 0 posts
Registration deadline for primary/infant spanish school - HELP !! - 4 posts
YOUNG DRIVERS - 15 posts
HELP - TRAIN OR COACH INFORMATION NEEDED - 1 posts
quick question about community fee's?? :) - 15 posts
ailish new development vista lago - 0 posts
Website problems - 6 posts
British Doctors - 6 posts
Tried to start a new thread but not working, you can sell tumbeldriers but not a house when your desperate. - 1 posts
Europa 1 restaurant on Guardamar promenade, CB - 16 posts
Dogs in need of a home - 0 posts
Buying a computer in spain - 27 posts
bfl - 1 posts
Washing Machines and Tumble Dryers - 14 posts
Halifax Mortgage requirements - 3 posts
Spanish income tax rates and allowances - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x