Internet Access?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 May 2008 8:00 AM by davmunster Star rating in Carvajal\Belfast. 843 posts Send private message

davmunster´s avatar
The strength of the mobile phone signal on the network your thingy is connecting to will effect the speed so if you know a particular network has good signal strength where you live you should consider getting connected through them

David

Like 0      
09 May 2008 9:53 AM by musicdonna Star rating in Near Huercal-Overa, .... 250 posts Send private message

Hello, Poppyseed,

Thank you for reply- sorry I used PM, but I couldn't see the "reply" button on the open forum page.  I think we're going to have to get a landline put in and run our two laptops off a wireless/router connection.  I've been in touch with euphony and explained what Andy will be needing it for, and they thought that the 1 MB limit with the Thingy would be too restrictive.  I'm now faced with trying to contact Telefonica about putting a phoneline in.  Deep joy!  We're moving to Cox, near Orihuela in Alicante province.  Where are you?  Best wishes,  Donna

Donna

www.learntodo.co.uk (site for artists of all levels!)

Like 0      
09 May 2008 9:59 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Hello Donna, Good luck with Telefonica they do seem to be your best option. Our Orange thingy is working today but it really is like watching paint dry. We have 2 Orange mobiles and have no problem with signal for them so thought we would be OK with Orange broadband.

We are in Peniscola which is on the coast between Barcelona and Valenica, a lovely place to be, not too overdeveloped, but the weather is really bad at the moment......whereas in Manchester it's warm and sunny...sod's law eh! Oh well back there next week. We were in the  Dales and theLakes in March, stayed in Windermere and Malham, beautiful.

Best regards, Irene

Poppyseed

Like 0      
10 May 2008 8:03 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Hi Donna

Not sure if it was a typo from you, but the dongle came with 1 Gigabyte of bandwidth and not 1 megabyte as you put in your post.

Mark

Like 0      
10 May 2008 11:10 AM by musicdonna Star rating in Near Huercal-Overa, .... 250 posts Send private message

Hi, Mark,   thank you- it wasn't a typo- 1GB sounds more helpful, but we need it to be pretty fast, and if we don't need a phoneline put in, that would be even more helpful.  If you have time for any help or advice, I'd be really grateful!  Thank you,  Donna

Donna

www.learntodo.co.uk (site for artists of all levels!)

Like 0      
10 May 2008 11:19 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

PM Jane (jane b), I believe she has some sort of wireless internet as her property is not on mains telephone. I'm sure a satellite service of some sort is being used, but I think they can be pricey.

Mark

Like 0      
11 Jun 2008 11:56 AM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Hi All,

Being a technogeek, I've been reading this with increasing interest, seeing as the Mrs and I are moving to Spain soon.

ok.

The 'thingy' or 'dongle' internet option:

This is a Mobile Internet Service provided by a Mobile Phone Service provider, such as Orange, Vodaphone, 3 ,etc. Now I know most of you will have worked this out, you’re not dunces, and I'm not going to treat you as such. However, there are pros and cons of this service.

Major Pro : Wherever you are, and I mean wherever, you can hook your laptop up to your mobile phone, and connect to the Internet, on the proviso you have a STRONG signal on your handset.

Major Con: Not very secure, as mobile phone signals can be intercepted, also signal strength fluctuates, so connection speeds will be VERY, VERY SLOW.

Satellite Internet Option:

Expensive! I mean really, really expensive. You need a dish put up just for this service, so installation costs are high.

Major Pro: Download speeds are quite high.

Major Con: Upload speeds are quite low. During stormy weather, if the dish hasn't been setup correctly, then the dish can move around, causing connection problems. Price

Landline Internet option:

Hmm! Quite a few options here, as quite a few companies offering 'high connection speeds'

DON'T be taken in by these speeds that they are offering!

The connection speed you get DEPENDS on the quality of the infrastructure (landlines). So, good quality infrastructure means high bandwidths (connection speed), however these may NOT be available, even if the quality is good, if the local infrastructure is not Local Loop Unbundled (LLU) , or Unbundled Local Loop (ULL) as they say in Spain. If the local exchange is LLU (ULL) AND the ADSL company offering you connection HAS THERE OWN equipment installed in said exchange, THEN and ONLY THEN will you POTENTIALLY get that MAXIMUM speed, as the distance you are FROM the local exchange ALSO determines your max connection speed.

If the company that put in the telephone lines into your area has not relinquished part ownership of those lines, and operate those lines 100% themselves, then you won't have a LLU (ULL) telephone exchange. If you haven’t got such an exchange in the area, then your ADSL connection will only be as fast as the company who provides the 'physical' connection, and again this is determined by the distance from said exchange.

Confusing I know, but here are some examples to help:

a) Colin lives within 2 miles from his LLU (ULL) exchange, the telephone lines are good quality and his ADSL provider has their own equipment in the exchange.

Result:  he gets 8MB maximum from his provider, however during peak times it drops a little.

b) Mark lives 3 miles away from the same exchange as Colin, the telephone lines are good quality and uses the same ADSL provider.

Result: he gets only 5 to 3MB maximum, and again during peak times it drops a little.

c) Brian lives within 2 miles from the same exchange, but it is NOT LLU (ULL), the lines are good quality.

Result: He gets the maximum speed from the company that owns the exchange, usually no more than 2MB, quite often less.

d) John lives within 2 miles from the same exchange as Colin and Mark, however the telephone lines are old and outdated.

Result: Dial-up. Broadband cannot be supported on these lines

So, I would say the best option for a community is to go for a communal Satellite ADSL System and use wireless routers. This would split the installation and running costs between the community, and give you pretty much and uninterrupted ADSL link.

The second community option, in an LLU (ULL) area, is to go for the HIGHEST bandwidth ADSL service provider,  have more than one landline connection, and again setup a wieless communal system. This again will give you the fastest connection speeds and keep the cost low.

This message was last edited by TechNoApe on 6/11/2008.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
11 Jun 2008 5:09 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Great summary TechNoApe, I think you've summed it up really well.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
25 Jul 2008 8:42 PM by smiffyinspain Star rating. 61 posts Send private message

Does anyone know if there is a Telefonica Office In Torrevieja. I orderd a phone line and broadband in April 2008 and I am still waiting. I have sent numerous emails which have  been ignored. The only email they replied to is when I gave them my bank details so they could collect the money. I have phoned several times only to be told different things from, we cant find your address, to there is no l ines yet and no adsl in your area despite my neighbour a few yards away having adsl.

It seems they like to take your money for the initial installation and then ignore you. I think because we are english they think they can treat you how they like.

Id rather speak to someone face to face but hving said that Id probably end up ripping someones face off

Like 0      
25 Jul 2008 9:10 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Hi Smiffy

TheTelefonica office is opposite the Sunzone office according to Sunzone who have marked their office on this map of Torrevieja.

http://www.sunzoneproperties.com/Map_of_Torrevieja.pdf

Like 0      
25 Jul 2008 9:31 PM by smiffyinspain Star rating. 61 posts Send private message

thanks more ill pop down there when Im in the right frame of mind

Like 0      
26 Jul 2008 12:05 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
I could be wrong (I have been known to be sometimes!), but I think you'll find the office is an agent, rather than actually Telefonica, and they'll probably tell you that since you didn't order the service through them, they can't help you. As far as I'm aware, Telefonica do not actually have offices that the general public can visit - for very obvious reasons!

Good luck anyway, and I hope you find that I'm completely wrong on this

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
26 Jul 2008 12:54 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
I also found this on another forum (2005 !!)

"The Telefonica shop in Torrevieja is on Ramon Gallud not far from the church.
You need your bank details and ID.
I went in on a Friday a couple of weeks ago and they came and fitted the phone and broadband the following Thursday."

You could be ok Smiffy, worth a try anyway. 

Let us know.

Like 0      
26 Jul 2008 4:56 PM by Gypsy Star rating in south shields/formen.... 206 posts Send private message

Gypsy´s avatar
Hi smiffyinspain,
I have sent you a P.M. regarding phone and 
internet access, if its any good P.M. me back.
If not thats okay.

GYPSY

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

free prescriptions? - 3 posts
Will the EX Rate ever go back up? - 270 posts
Help with Subrogated Mortgage Info - 19 posts
25 thousands here! - 6 posts
Barbeques - 4 posts
english teachers in almeria - 0 posts
coming to almeria - 4 posts
some advice please - 1 posts
Repayment of Deposits - 3 posts
Buying Agents ??? - 17 posts
Manilva/Sotogrande "Disneyland" - 2 posts
Arenal Golf, Benalmadena - 8 posts
Reaching the 25 thousands!! - 5 posts
recommendation for breakfast - 2 posts
Letting Agents. - 1 posts
Van Hire company - 0 posts
moving and working in spain - 2 posts
Winter in spain - 1 posts
Balcon Al Mar - 0 posts
Property network Benalmedina Spain - 0 posts
investment - 8 posts
Teguise Greens in Lanzarote - 1 posts
looking for rental from 1st May - 1 posts
Bad Smells! - 0 posts
Buses Routes - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 54

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x