Internet Access?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Apr 2008 12:49 PM by Acapulco Star rating in Costa Blanca South.. 342 posts Send private message

Acapulco´s avatar
When the time comes I think I will follow the advice of Roberto and othersand gofo Telefonica.Obviously we want the best available.

If you're going through hell keep on going, you might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

Like 0      
07 Apr 2008 1:06 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Where abouts are you Moondancer?

In Torrevieja there's something similar to the Office of Fair Trading, I read details on another site.  Perhaps they could be useful as a threat to get something done.

I'm sure I read also that if you ask for a specific form of complaint that also normally makes the company take notice of you.

But then again there are always people complaining about Telefonica and getting nowhere.

Perhaps someone else can expand on my comments with the correct details, if not I'll do a search to see if I can find the specific thread.  It was some time ago so it might take me a while.

Like 0      
07 Apr 2008 8:05 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Every establishment is required by law to make available to customers a complaint book - known in Spanish as hoja de reclamacion. As others have said, often just asking for it (demanding it) can produce results.

Yes, Telefonica are far from perfect and many people have horror stories to tell (that's probably the biggest understatement you'll read tonight)

I have had my own run-ins with Telefonica in the past, usually due to the fact that they use subcontractors to deal with faults on lines within customer's premises, and when they fail to solve the problem, Telefoncia refuse to accept responsibilty - even though the customer has no direct contact with the subcontractor. However, on balance, I still prfer to stick to the devil I know. Too often in Spain you can find yourself jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
09 Apr 2008 5:20 PM by moondancer Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

Hi, Its Moondancer here,

A little extra to add to the sorry saga.

I have been dealing with the shop in Parque Mediterraneo in Cartagena. My husband spoke to them 2 days ago and the manager in the shop advised that we should fill out a hoja de reclamaciones against the poeple who repair the units. We have done this and the manager had added to the hoja stating that they (the orange shop) agree with our complaint! We shall see what happens now.

As the saying goes 'WATCH THIS SPACE'

Ps: thanks for all the advise.

Like 0      
09 Apr 2008 6:51 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Hope it gets you somewhere, but sounds a bit like the shop were just passing the buck. Very typical here, I must add, but makes me mad. If you buy a pair of shoes and they fall apart within a few days, you take them back to the shop where you bought them. The shop should replace them or refund your money - not give you the name and address of the manufacturer.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
25 Apr 2008 9:25 PM by davmunster Star rating in Carvajal\Belfast. 843 posts Send private message

davmunster´s avatar
We have the same problem Justin described of no Telefonica service for the foreseeable future and an overloaded WIFI transmitter. I am told that if I take out the correct Spanish mobile contract and buy a device to connect it to my pc I can have reliable service for around 20€ a month. Has anyone any experience of mobile internet in Spain?

David

Like 0      
25 Apr 2008 9:49 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

We have Orange 'broadband', using the little thingy you plug into your computer. It works but is so s-l-o-w.........nowhere near the speed it's meant to be. It costs 35 euros pm. The only other option was dial up which we didn't want and have been told that is also very slow.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
27 Apr 2008 10:00 PM by ******** Star rating in UK & Murcia. 574 posts Send private message

Hi Poppyseed.  Can you tell me a bit more about the Orange 'thingy'.  I've read a bit about them on here and would like to know more.  I have a good telefonica line, but am reluctant to have broadband through them mainly because I'm only there for a couple of months a year amd don't want to pay for a whole year.  Secondly because one of my neighbours has had dreadful internet bills from Telefonica - when they've been in the UK. 

Did you buy yours in the uk or in Spain and do you have to pay for a whole year, or only when used?

Many thanks,  Jane.

Jane

Like 0      
27 Apr 2008 10:28 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Hi Jane, the 'thingy' is like a memory stick that you plug into the computer. At the moment there is a big advertising campaign splashed across billboards etc in the UK for Vodafone for the same thing. We did it in Spain  through a company called 'euphony' and had to take out an 18month contract and it costs 35 euros per month but then no other charges are incurred. I don't think one purchased in the UK would work in Spain but I'm  technically useless so may be wrong about that.

We have a telefonica line but where our villa is they wont provide broadband only dial up which we didn't think would suit our internet usage.

Perhaps you may want to check out the euphony website www.euphony-spain.com. We didn't deal with them direct but via a local agent in our area of Peniscola. I know Vodafone also offer this in Spain and am sure there will be others. A good mobile phone shop should be able to advise you.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
28 Apr 2008 7:38 PM by ******** Star rating in UK & Murcia. 574 posts Send private message

Many thanks Poppyseed.  I didn't know any of that - I ll certainly check out the web site.

Best wishes

Jane

Jane

Like 0      
28 Apr 2008 7:48 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

There was something on Watchdog the other week about these wireless broadband dongles. They will work overseas, but usage is not subject to the inclusive price, you are charged for each megabyte which can work out expensive. 3 seem to have the best UK deal, but you will have to ask each provider to see who has the best overseas coverage/ costs.

Mark

Like 0      
28 Apr 2008 11:57 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Looks like we made a good decision to buy it in Spain then!!!  There are lots of mobile phone shops in Spain who will be able to advise.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
29 Apr 2008 12:41 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Isn't this the "thingy" that Georgia posted about a while ago ?

I have purchased an USB Modem that works on the mobile phone network,basically anywhere you can get a signal for your mobile phone you can now get internet access.

Click on  >>> mobile internet. Thursday, January 17, 2008

I think you'll find interest in the thread.

(Do you know just how long it has taken me to search Georgia's posts for that ?)

Like 0      
29 Apr 2008 3:03 PM by davmunster Star rating in Carvajal\Belfast. 843 posts Send private message

davmunster´s avatar
Thank you Morerosado. Your hard work and dedication is appreciated!

David

Like 0      
29 Apr 2008 3:15 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Aw, thanks Davmunster, that was good to hear as sometimes I do get negative feedback. 

Like 0      
29 Apr 2008 7:30 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I think there should be a plug-in USB device ("thingy", in technical jargon) for More, to ensure she only ever gets positive feedback.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
29 Apr 2008 9:11 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
You monkey you, Roberto.

Like 0      
05 May 2008 9:23 AM by moondancer Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

Hi Moondancer here again,

Just an update on Orange and my lack of internet.

I last posted on 09/04 and guess what - we still have not had our wireless modem back from Orange. They have suspended payments until we get it back, but will not cancel the contract even though it only worked for 3 weeks and has been away for repairs approx 11 (?) weeks (i lose track of time) as far as I am concerned they have broken the terms of the contract ie: I contracted them to provide me with an internet service and they have failed abismally. Orange will not cancel the contract without US paying 180€ cancellation fee. I don't agree with this and will not pay it. I have stopped hassling the shop about the return of the modem and if, IF they ever say its ready I have no intention of collecting it and cancelling the suspension of payments. I fully intend after 18 months to cancel the contract without having the suspension cancelled and paying them 180€.

The 'hoja de reclamaciones' did nothing or nothing that I have been told about.

I intend to enter the marketplace again and hope that this time I will find a service that gives me internet service! If I did not have an understanding boss I would not have been able to access my email for months.

Like 0      
06 May 2008 7:30 PM by davmunster Star rating in Carvajal\Belfast. 843 posts Send private message

davmunster´s avatar
After reading up about this on EOS I went to the Vodafone shop here in Fuengirola. I bought a "thingy" (wireless modem) for 79€ and 1 GB  of  access for 60€. There were 18 month contracts  on offer but pay as you go seemed ideal for  people like me who still have to spend  most of their time back in the UK. Instalation was easy and the speed , while slower than broadband is perfectly OK.

David

Like 0      
09 May 2008 12:17 AM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Have been in Spain since last Saturday and today is the first time the 'thingy' has worked. Euphony helpline tried to help but didn't  fix it, finally today it has just started working. It is so slow that you can take a shower waiting for a page to load.

Musicdonna, hope this answers your question, sorry not replying by PM but it really is a painful task using this in Spain!!!!

Poppyseed

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

free prescriptions? - 3 posts
Will the EX Rate ever go back up? - 270 posts
Help with Subrogated Mortgage Info - 19 posts
25 thousands here! - 6 posts
Barbeques - 4 posts
english teachers in almeria - 0 posts
coming to almeria - 4 posts
some advice please - 1 posts
Repayment of Deposits - 3 posts
Buying Agents ??? - 17 posts
Manilva/Sotogrande "Disneyland" - 2 posts
Arenal Golf, Benalmadena - 8 posts
Reaching the 25 thousands!! - 5 posts
recommendation for breakfast - 2 posts
Letting Agents. - 1 posts
Van Hire company - 0 posts
moving and working in spain - 2 posts
Winter in spain - 1 posts
Balcon Al Mar - 0 posts
Property network Benalmedina Spain - 0 posts
investment - 8 posts
Teguise Greens in Lanzarote - 1 posts
looking for rental from 1st May - 1 posts
Bad Smells! - 0 posts
Buses Routes - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 54

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x