Leaving..running away...new life..why do you want to go

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 Mar 2008 12:00 AM by pknott Star rating in Costa Blanca. 142 posts Send private message

pknott´s avatar
So many people who we have told "We want and intend to move to spain" ask the same question..

You want to leave...why?

So anyone who has...why do you actually want to leave where you are....?

Me...I find Spain to be the one place I feel very settled and don't scoff now...but I feel very happy at a spiritual level...Of course the fact that I think my children will all benefit...the food is great...the culture....the sun...the lifestyle...

So...why did you go to spain...want to go to spain?

Like 0      
09 Mar 2008 1:47 PM by sandra Star rating in . 812 posts Send private message

sandra´s avatar

Hi pknott,

Great question and I'm sure we are going to receive some interesting and varied replies.It would also be good to hear from people who have made the move and lived there for three years or more. Their first hand experiences,good and bad, should make interesting reading.

To start the ball rolling.

We are purchasing our holiday home in Spain just to get away from the cold English winters and,so far, have no intention of retiring there permanently.

Like 0      
09 Mar 2008 2:58 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

We have been here 5 and a half years now.

Initially, I said I wanted to live by the sea, but I was thinking Margate or somewhere like that. My hubby said lets look at Spain as he had been here for a couple of holidays years ago, before he met me. Me...................I'd never been to Spain!!

I think the main reasons for us relocating over here was the state of England, the cost of living ( although that is rising in Spain, our money still goes further ) and the weather.

Living here has been a sharp learning curve tho, and not all milk and honey, but on average, I feel we made the right decision. BUT, I still get the wobbley feeling when I put my grown up kids on the plane back to England, and I get that same wobbley feeling when I get on the plane in England to come HOME !!

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
09 Mar 2008 3:36 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
    Justin was made redundant, we wanted to set something up to have the flexibility of working from home and a flexible timetable around children. We never had any family support in the UK so there was nothing to hold us back. It was really difficult financially in the beginning and we often wondered if we had done the right thing but life is good now and Spain suits us at present. The girls (nearly six) are very happy in Spanish state school, although it isn't state of the art, their teacher is very homely and caring.We have made lots of friends and do lots of travelling around the area visiting Granada, Seville, Ronda etc but I still enjoy visiting the UK as it does have a lot going for it.

Susan

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
09 Mar 2008 5:04 PM by Eva2008 Star rating in Reading. 152 posts Send private message

Eva2008´s avatar
Hi there, good question. I was sitting in my little flat in Watford about 5 years ago, feeling very depressed about having to go to work day in and day out and being left with very little at the end of the month, so I left work and starting trading (spread betting) on the net. It was a little while later that I thought 'why do I need to be in Watford to trade on the net? I could be sitting in the sun in Spain as all I needed was an internet connection'. That was about the time when "A Place in the Sun" was on the box all the time and when I saw the prices of homes, and the weather and the lifestyle, I thought what the hell. So I came over on a viewing trip and bought a place off plan. That was in June 2003 and I finally got the keys in November 2005. Well here we are in March 2008 and guess what? I'm still in bloddy watford!!!! but not for long, we are due to jump in the car in June and drive on over. Heres to the start of the rest of my life.

Like 0      
10 Mar 2008 7:43 AM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

I get angry every morning when I read the papers and see more liberties being taken away from us. I'm sick of our nanny state and prefer the attitudes in Spain. Yes I find dealing with people can be difficult but they won't let the eurocrats dictate their whole lives.

Our family all live at least 3 hours drive away in England therefore a flight would be just as easy for visits.

I'm sick of grey, damp winters. Cold I can take... greyness... no.

Our money won't support us when my husband retires in the UK. There is far more chance of a decent life in Spain..

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
10 Mar 2008 8:24 AM by J&N Star rating in Nottinghamshire. 342 posts Send private message

J&N´s avatar
Couldn't agree more, all reasons we're moving plus the lack of proper care for the elderly and no respect means we always planned to retire overseas, my arthritis has just meant we're doing it 10 years earlier than planned as my health means I cannot work full time any more, but the sunshine and warm weather should significantly improve things for me rather than having to increase the medication.

This message was last edited by J&N on 3/10/2008.

Jacqui

http://relocatetospain.blogspot.com our adventure from deciding to move to Spain to being here and moving back to the UK.

Like 0      
10 Mar 2008 8:27 AM by pknott Star rating in Costa Blanca. 142 posts Send private message

pknott´s avatar
With 3 children..the one thing that never stops amazing me is the price of drugs in spain in comparison to Ireland...we paid €3.00 for antibiotics when we wre last there in Feb...in Dublin...€22....not quite sure why they can sell them so cheaply...

So my second question as you starter for 10 on EOS challenge is

"Do you find the health care cheaper than in the UK or Ireland?"

Like 0      
10 Mar 2008 8:59 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
We prefer to use Sanitas (International Bupa) for our healthcare and we always use the Hospiten hospital in Estepona. We have used the local centro de salud (in Manilva)but it is always full, there is no system and you can waste a lot of time waiting around.

There are some medications that you have to pay for in Spain that you don't have to pay for in the UK such as the contraceptive pill (or if you do pay, you pay less in the UK if I remember rightly). It is easier to get hold of meds, not that I encourage it. For example antibiotics can be bought over the counter in the chemist where we live, whereas I believe in the UK, it must be prescribed.

To be honest I tend to avoid hospitals and doctors but I appreciate that sometimes in life you need them. I can only go on my own few experiences of dealing with doctors in Spain. To be honest, there is still the mentality of doctor knows best and the spanish do tend to follow the doctors orders.

Susan

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
10 Mar 2008 3:45 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Blimey,

Where do you start?..........

I take no joy in saying this but a once great country has slowly but surely died the death and after leaving over 5 years ago i shudder at the thought of ever having to return.

I left for my sanity and to reduce my working hours and actually spend some quality time with my family.

Spain will not make you rich in monetary terms(unless you are crooked) but it will bring you a wealth of quality of life.

I left for the sake of my family and they reasure me every day with the way that they have all adapted and now thrive.

I am at the point now where i have no loyalties to a country that has betrayed and abandoned its sons and daughters to a point that they have to seek pastures new to avoid the daily violence and hatred of the social normality that exists.

Spain is no easy ride but if you are determined enough it can offer all you need.

I have no doubt that i made the right choice as my children's smiling faces are living proof.

Like 0      
10 Mar 2008 4:35 PM by jules1 Star rating in St Ives, Cambridgesh.... 264 posts Send private message

jules1´s avatar

I have bought a holiday home at Dream Hills in CB. I completed in June last year and have 2 1/2 months over there so far. This year I will be spending about 3 1/2 months over there. I find that I feel so much more relaxed in Spain and will do things on my own that I wouldn't dream of in England.

I don't have much of my family left now sadly and apart from missing friends at home, I would really love to move to Spain permanently (most friends would visit I'm sure!). However as I have had a few health problems in the past e.g. high blood pressure, suspected angina attack, thyroid problems and depression I don't think I would be eligible for the private health cover as I'm sure they would relate nearly anything I got with something in my medical history! Hence unfortunately, I will have to stay in UK as a resident . If anyone knows any sort of health cover I could get I would be really grateful to know.

Spain comes out tops for most things I think!

Julia

Like 0      
10 Mar 2008 4:55 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
if you are retiring age you would get the Spanish system Julia and I can vouch that it is excellent.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
10 Mar 2008 4:59 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

I thought there was full reciprocal health care in Valencia below retirement age anyway?

We won't be taking out insurance because I have had malignant melanoma and also had my thyroid removed last year. Far too expensive to insure now.

I understood we were covered anyway... just in Valencia region.

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
10 Mar 2008 5:27 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

To be honest, I'm not sure. Before I was retirement age, my Hubby had to take out private health insurance. Then things changed and he had to get a letter from England saying cos he was no longer resident there he was not entitled to health care in England. The he was issued a SIP card here in Spain. Then when it was time for it to be renewed the took it off him and said he couldn't have a SIP card till he ( or me ) were retired.

I'm retired now so we are both  ok for the Spanish system.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
10 Mar 2008 5:33 PM by jules1 Star rating in St Ives, Cambridgesh.... 264 posts Send private message

jules1´s avatar

Thanks for your replies.

Karensun I am not of retirement age, but did take early retirement through ill health from teaching a couple of years ago. Would this mean I would get cover by the ordinary spanish health system. Could you advise me of where I could go to get more information on what is available in Spain? Thanks for your help.

Julia

Like 0      
10 Mar 2008 5:37 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Hi Guys,

You should get the reciprical agreement as suggested.

Worst case scenario is pay into the system here and you will receive health,pension and other benefits as well.

The law is a little cloudy(as always) as these rule changes are quite new.

I recently had clients and the gentleman had a crumbling spine,they were not at retirement age and they get all benefits,meds and even physio paid for by his state contributions in the UK,I dont think they were a special case so it is definitely worth investigating.

Always remember that there are a lot of rule changes that are fresh to the system and sometimes you can think you are not able to get support that is actually there.

Like 0      
10 Mar 2008 5:37 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Hi Guys,

You should get the reciprical agreement as suggested.

Worst case scenario is pay into the system here and you will receive health,pension and other benefits as well.

The law is a little cloudy(as always) as these rule changes are quite new.

I recently had clients and the gentleman had a crumbling spine,they were not at retirement age and they get all benefits,meds and even physio paid for by his state contributions in the UK,I dont think they were a special case so it is definitely worth investigating.

Always remember that there are a lot of rule changes that are fresh to the system and sometimes you can think you are not able to get support that is actually there.

Like 0      
10 Mar 2008 6:01 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

Julia, I don't suppose you get incapacity benifit do you?  You probably won't want to stick all your business on the forum, but you could PM me if you want.

You can transfer that benifit ( if it is long term ) and get everything within the Spanish system.

There is a leaflet available from Newcastle ( can't remember the number ) but if you phone them, they are very helpful.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
10 Mar 2008 6:06 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

BRITISH EXPATS ASSOCIATION SPAIN  Click link.

Very handy.

I'm not "running away", well, not yet awhile.

Like 0      
10 Mar 2008 6:13 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Nigel and Maggie phase 3 Luz de Almoradi - 2 posts
COMPLETION - 6 posts
almost an owner - 6 posts
looking for apartment in almoradi - 2 posts
Grand Slam Winners - 29 posts
Buy a car in the UK or in Spain - 6 posts
HI..i m new - 3 posts
Hiii. - 0 posts
mobile homes - 0 posts
Car Insurance - 12 posts
Good internet portals to search for property ? - 6 posts
Apartment rental required - 2 posts
RENTAL FOR SECURE CAR PARKING LONG TERM - NEAR MURCIA AIRPORT - 11 posts
Macarena 2 urbanisation, Orihuela Costa, Costa Blanca - 0 posts
Makes you glad to live in England ...... NOT !! (Prescriptions up to £7.10 April 1st). - 1 posts
mr billy mcmahon - 3 posts
Britain braced for 'worst storm of winter' on Monday - 21 posts
Nueva Ribera - One Properties - 5 posts
Rustica properties - 2 posts
spanish to english. - 5 posts
Unauthorised debits from Spanish bank accounts - 4 posts
testaurants orihuela costa - 15 posts
Marbella to Sevilla - 4 posts
Wanting long term let benalmadena - 1 posts
Sofa Deals - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 27

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x