Car Insurance

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Mar 2008 12:00 AM by jane b Star rating in Bedar, Almeria. 222 posts Send private message

jane b´s avatar

Here's one for everyone who (like me) assumes that Linea Directa always offers great value.

In September the OH bought a new car.  We had a quote from Linea Directa, who insure my car, and it was more than 25% higher than a neighbour who was buying the identical car.  Got similar quote from their company for the OH car, so obviously we went with it - only difference in terms was a slightly higher excess but still the difference in excess was less than the difference in premium, so a bit of a no-brainer.

The real crunch came when my renewal note came last week - Linea Directa wanted €200 more for my five-year old car, including full no claims, than the OH had for his brand new fancy job (worth three times as much) from the new insurer.  Phoned new company and got quote for less than half the LD price.  Accepted quote, phoned LD to cancel.  They of course wanted to know why, so I told them.  Very pushy customer service advisor offered to 'see what they could do' about improving the amount.  Said I thought it a bit unlikely that she could get it down by more than 50% to which the response was that as a valued customer they would be willing to lose money on me to keep my business!!   I told her I was not interested in haggling after the event, that if I really was a valued customer they should not be sending out renewal notes for ridiculous amounts on the assumption that people tend not to bother getting competitive quotes every year.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

New Broker is AJB Consultants, based in Javea but we do it all by phone.  You can find them at www.ajbinsurance.com

www.fincalaserenidad.com

Like 0      
08 Mar 2008 9:02 AM by Eva2008 Star rating in Reading. 152 posts Send private message

Eva2008´s avatar
Thanks for the advice Jane B, I was just thinking about getting a quote soon so I will check them out.

Like 0      
08 Mar 2008 9:02 AM by Eva2008 Star rating in Reading. 152 posts Send private message

Eva2008´s avatar
Thanks for the advice Jane B, I was just thinking about getting a quote soon so I will check them out.

Like 0      

Eva2008´s avatar

Like 0      
09 Mar 2008 6:48 AM by Eva2008 Star rating in Reading. 152 posts Send private message

Eva2008´s avatar
I think my laptops got a stutter

Like 0      
31 Mar 2008 7:38 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Renewal time! Anyone got any other recommendations, or horror stories?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
03 Apr 2008 11:44 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Nobody? OK, I got a quote from Abbeygate (recommended elsewhere - was it by Morerosado?) and also AJB, who came in cheapest, at €477. (Abbeygate €556). I paid €667 with Linea Directa last year (who I've been with for 4 or 5 years), so I rang them and told them.

Surprise surprise, LD have agreed to renew my policy, "as a valued customer", for €475!! Only stipulation is raising my excess by €90 (not a hard choice in order to save €200), and paying by debit card instead of direct debit. That bit is just a tad worrying - apparently it's because DD payments don't clear into their account for 45 days, whereas debit card payments are immediate. Question: why is that so important to them? Do they have cash flow problems?? And another question: how come the bank gets to play with my money for 45 days?

Thanks to jane b for waking me up, by the way! I'm off out to blow 200 notes on something that will give me far more enjoyment than car insurance ever has done.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
04 Apr 2008 8:13 AM by jfj Star rating in Vera, Almería. 142 posts Send private message

jfj´s avatar
We are insured with Mapfre, and each year they offer us the best quote.

Like 0      
04 Apr 2008 5:22 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Bad past experience with Mapfre on building insurance, will never touch them again. Plus, a neighbour of mine was recently involved in a car accident, the other driver admittde liability. Both my neighbour and the other driver are insured with Mapfre. No courtesy car for my neighbour, and so far 6 weeks, still waiting to get his car back from the body shop (relatively minor front end damage). Pretty poor for the country's biggest insurer, I think.

Of course, you never know how good or bad any insurer is until the worst happens. Fortunately, touch wood, I've never had to put Linea Directa to the test.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
24 Apr 2008 3:02 PM by J&N Star rating in Nottinghamshire. 342 posts Send private message

J&N´s avatar

I need some help on car insurance please.

As some of you may know, we had our car stolen a month ago, so we are having an old car from my Dad, driving it to Spain and then scrapping it and buying a Spanish one. So, I have been ringing around the car insurers to get quotes and most insurances are for a minimum of 12 months, we only want 1 month. I was directed to daily insurance companies and getting quotes from them is coming in at £170 for 28 days for me & hubby, both been driving over 20 years, 50's age bracket and car is worth about £250 (and £100 of that is probably for the stereo)

So, is there anyone involved in insurance that may be able to give me some pointers where to try next to see if I can lower the premium. We both need to be insured to share the driving and the £170 is cheaper than a years insurance (unfortunately, the theft of our car is not helping with our quotes)

An with all this, it only gives us 3rd party cover whilst driving through Spain.

HELP!!!!!

Jacqui

http://relocatetospain.blogspot.com our adventure from deciding to move to Spain to being here and moving back to the UK.

Like 0      
24 Apr 2008 3:29 PM by jane b Star rating in Bedar, Almeria. 222 posts Send private message

jane b´s avatar

Hi Jacqui

So sorry you are having such a hard time over this.  What about keeping the car for longer than a month and thus making use of a few more months of the insurance (and road fund tax/MOT assuming they have some time to run) before you have to buy a new one?  I have a feeling that there might be costs associated with scrapping cars here, too. .. Perhaps Maria can advise on this.

Another option is to advertise in a local Spanish paper here to see if anyone is returning to the UK with a car that they would like to sell.

Good luck.

www.fincalaserenidad.com

Like 0      
24 Apr 2008 7:00 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Don't most insurers offer an option to pay monthly on an annual premium? Then, if you cancel the policy before the year is up, can you not just cancel the payments too? Or, get a refund on the balance of your policy when you cancel? You may have to pay 3 months or so of an annual policy, but it might work out cheaper?

I think most fully comp. policies only give you third party cover when abroad anyway. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

To officially scrap a UK registered car, you will surely have to notify DVLA? Don't know how that works, but don't you need a certificate or something from the scrap yard? If so, will it be possible to do this from Spain? Sorry, don't know the answers myself!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
24 Apr 2008 7:15 PM by J&N Star rating in Nottinghamshire. 342 posts Send private message

J&N´s avatar

We do have to notify DVLA when we scrap it, there's a box to tick. If we go to a scrap dealer or vehicle dismantler, we will need a certificate of destruction. We are going to ask for advice from where we buy our new car from.

I think our insurers are being unhelpful because of our recent claim, because I have now found one where we would get refund of a proportion of premium, if we cancel before 30 days we get 80% back, upto 60 days and we get 70% refund. The problem I was having was I was being too honest, they won't insure us if we are going one way to Spain, if we work on the basis we will be returning, we can get cover.

Having spent several hours on this today I think I have found the right solution.

Jacqui

http://relocatetospain.blogspot.com our adventure from deciding to move to Spain to being here and moving back to the UK.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Good internet portals to search for property ? - 6 posts
Apartment rental required - 2 posts
RENTAL FOR SECURE CAR PARKING LONG TERM - NEAR MURCIA AIRPORT - 11 posts
Macarena 2 urbanisation, Orihuela Costa, Costa Blanca - 0 posts
Makes you glad to live in England ...... NOT !! (Prescriptions up to £7.10 April 1st). - 1 posts
mr billy mcmahon - 3 posts
Britain braced for 'worst storm of winter' on Monday - 21 posts
Nueva Ribera - One Properties - 5 posts
Rustica properties - 2 posts
spanish to english. - 5 posts
Unauthorised debits from Spanish bank accounts - 4 posts
testaurants orihuela costa - 15 posts
Marbella to Sevilla - 4 posts
Wanting long term let benalmadena - 1 posts
Sofa Deals - 7 posts
Water and electricity - 2 posts
paperwork on house is ok but there is an article 205 on the house ? - 6 posts
Capital Gains on UK Property - 5 posts
Santa Maria Green Hills - 2 posts
More New Kids On The Block - 5 posts
Grupo Suite - 1 posts
Hola a todos - 10 posts
Hi From Benalmádena Pueblo - 1 posts
Property In Spain - 2 posts
SHORT TERM LETS CONTRACT IN BOTH ENGLISH & SPANISH - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x