Dangerous dogs

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Mar 2008 12:00 AM by lifeline Star rating in Murcia. 365 posts Send private message

lifeline´s avatar

Last week a large dog owned by English people on our development mauled and killed a little dog belonging to a Spanish family. Those of us who are dog owners and walk them in the area were shocked to find that the large dog was not put down and were horrified to learn that it had attacked other dogs as well. As far as we are aware in the UK as this would be classed as a dangerous dog it would be put down. Does anyone know if Spain is different? Would the police only become involved if it attacked humans?  

This message was last edited by lifeline on 3/4/2008.

Daveil

Like 0      
04 Mar 2008 4:57 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Although there are laws governing dangerous dogs here (I'm not familiar enough to quote them) the general attitude towards animals is very different to what most foreigners are accustomed to.

A pitbull, off it's lead, attacked an elderly woman's elderly spaniel in the street where we used to live some years ago (the spaniel later sadly died from the shock of the attack) and the police were called. When they arrived and quickly established that the only victim was (only) another dog, they shrugged their shoulders as if to say "so why did you call us?" and left. Personally I would have liked to see the owner of the pitbull put down, but the incident surprised me no more than all the morons on mopeds zooming around with no crash helmets and no exhausts (therefore no valid ITV/MoT, therefore no valid insurance....see the connection? Reckless irresponsibilty that is potentially dangerous to other citizens, to which the police turn a blind eye).

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
04 Mar 2008 5:21 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Lifeline, I'm totally amazed that your President hasn't insisted that the dog of this English couple (though it hardly matters what nationality they are) is removed from your community as it's likely it could happen to a youngster. I'm surprized Roberto, being a (good) President hadn't considered that.  

Roberto, is my idea so stupid ?

Like 0      
04 Mar 2008 5:41 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I have quite strong views on this topic, which I usually try to refrain from airing for fear of offending people.

Personally, I believe the owners of the dog should be removed, preferably to a small concrete cell on a remote island, where they can no longer put the lives of innocent dogs at risk by not caring for them (theirs) properly and not understanding the repsonsiblity of owning an animal of any kind, let alone one that, without the proper care and control, is capable of inflicting injuries on other living creatures (animal or human alike). It is very, very rare for a dog to attack another for no reason whatsoever. I'm not saying that the dog was necessarily provoked  (at least, not in any way that was immediately obvious to a human mind) but it is just quite simply wrong to say the dog is "bad". The owners are responsible. End of.

Yes, of course I agree this is a very worrying situation, which should definitely be addressed somehow. Unfortunately, I don't believe the president has the power to simply evict a neighbour's pet, and unless they agree to get rid of it voluntarily, court action would probably be necessary, which would then require the consent of the (majority of) the community. And who's to say that a Spanish judge wouldn't take the same attitude as a Spanish policeman?

Mark Twain

Like 0      
04 Mar 2008 5:58 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
In our community & it certainly has its share of stupid rules, one rule I find good is that owners MUST control their pets. We had an owner with two gorgeous collie types (male & female) but the male would keep barking & the first trip we did (for our completion) was a nightmare as the dog was allowed to bark, owner did nothing to stop him. (We were so glad to come home as it echoed across the pool area & we are almost opposite. Now I must say  (two years or more later) the couple are now friends of ours & the two dogs are so loving. Many had said it must not be allowed to go on & I'm unsure how, but the owner never has bother now. I think it just likely needed him to say no firmly. If the dog barks now it's food or walk time, fair enough.

Like 0      
05 Mar 2008 6:39 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

If you check the Horizontal Law, you will find something in there about behaviour that disturbs/bothers other owners being unacceptable etc. etc., and I think there may be some reference to pets as well (sorry for not being more precise on this, but I know Morerosado will find it and post it for us  )

Barking dogs are infuriating, and a particular problem here in Spain where an inordinate number of dog owners simply do not seem to understand the first thing about dogs and dog ownership. Again, dogs very rarely bark incessantly for no reason, and I hold the owners fully responsible for such behaviour. It is not normal and should be addressed by the owner. If they don't know how, they should either seek professional help, or not own a pet of any kind.

Unfortunately, as is so often the case, what the law provides for, and what happens in reality, are often very far apart. Morerosado is correct of course to point out the president's responsibilty to enforce the community rules (and indeed the Horizontal Law) but in practice things are never quite so simple.

I hope your friend's dogs are now in a calm and contented state, More, and that you and Mr.M will be able to enjoy your forthcoming retirement bark & echo-free!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
05 Mar 2008 11:34 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Roberto, a very quick nose at the Horizontal Law you so kindly sent me many moons ago doesn't throw up anything about pets giving us problems but I'm tired & can't see straight tonight. (Fell asleep watching Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares, USA, woke up to Mr more saying I hadn't made his sarnies for tomorrow)  Roll on a week tomorrow, 13th, his last day at work.

Dogs all good doggies these days on our community.

Like 0      
06 Mar 2008 7:43 AM by lifeline Star rating in Murcia. 365 posts Send private message

lifeline´s avatar

Thank you Morerosada and Roberto for all the valuable comments. There are 170 villas on our development on the edge of the town but we are not an urbanisation. When it is all completed there will be a committee formed for managing the pool so I dont suppose we have much clout!

Best wishes on your retirement. You will be missed for all the useful info you take time to give to everyone.

This message was last edited by lifeline on 3/6/2008.

Daveil

Like 0      
06 Mar 2008 9:29 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Thank you lifeline, your comments are very much appreciated. I shall be popping in though occasionally.  I just cannot spend the massive amount of time I have been doing on here. We'll also be in Spain a fair amount of time like 25 days a trip without a PC around. We don't even go to internet cafes to check our emails. Totally incommunicado.

Like 0      
07 Mar 2008 12:04 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
...........but we know where you live..................

Mark Twain

Like 0      
07 Mar 2008 12:13 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Section 7.2. quoted below is the bit I was thinking of, but it seems the bit pertaining to animals would be in your community statutes if anywhere. I think that's where I've seen it - but I don't have ours on my PC and don't feel like digging through my paper files for it right now! (Had a tough meeting today with the developer, architect & builder about our flooding garage, but that's for another thread...) 

The owner and the occupant of a unit shall not carry out in such unit or in the rest of the building

any activities not permitted in the community statutes, or which may cause damage to the property or

contravene the general regulations concerning inconvenient, unhealthy, noxious, hazardous or unlawful

activities.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
22 Mar 2008 4:57 PM by Roger Davis Star rating in Balsicas , COSTA C.... 93 posts Send private message

Roger Davis´s avatar

Interesting comments on this thread re barking dogs. I have just looked up this thread due to a sleepless night last-night after a new arrival just behind our property -- they appear to have brought two Rottweilers with them !! They barked on and off for most of the night !! Why anyone would want two Rottweilers I can't imagine - unless of course it is to purposely annoy their neighbours ?? Any advice on how to deal with this problem would be greatly appreciated ? Would it be worthwhile taping the barking and then replaying the tape at full volume back over the wall,to give these thoughtless people a taste of their own medicine ??

Roger and Fran

Like 0      
22 Mar 2008 5:48 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
Not sure that's the right way to go about it....................but it has a certain appeal !!!!

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
28 Mar 2008 3:35 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Roger - Rottweilers rarely bark in such fashion. Unless they sense a disturbance or are upset. I would say as they have just moved to unfamiliar surroundings then, as other dogs would be, they are just very unsure of their new surroundings and are 'telling' their owner(s) and others. Rottweilers as a breed as very, very misunderstood - due to the press and their 'bad boy' image - they are great as family pets as long as they have come form a reputable breeder, who can provide details of the dogs lineage.

As for the the 'Dangerous Dogs Act' the pitbull should have been muzzled - and as it wasn't then the police should have arrested the person waliking the dog. Also the person should have the owners registration document with them when out walking the dog.

We will have to have our Rotti muzzled - it's a shame as he's never worn a muzzle before, so we will have to get him used to it before we move out to Spain. As he is full pedigree there isn't a bad bone in his body and his temprement is superb - even when he's hot and/or botherd.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
28 Mar 2008 5:40 PM by sandra Star rating in . 812 posts Send private message

sandra´s avatar

I agree. No bad dogs, just bad owners.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

medina elvira granada - 2 posts
What is E111 - 3 posts
Destitute and facing eviction - 85 year old mother and son from San Isidro on CB - 0 posts
Demolitions near La Marina Village on the Costa Blanca NOW ! - 0 posts
Getting my cat to Spain - 13 posts
Another bit of daftness from Sunny Spain - 39 posts
Hola Life Snagging Surveys - 1 posts
cleaner - 0 posts
The UK lose battle to withhold benefits............ - 17 posts
Pet Insurance - 5 posts
Pool Covers - 4 posts
Hi - 0 posts
What is the best way to pay a small amount of Euros? - 8 posts
Where are you from!!! - 7 posts
Terque Web Site - 1 posts
Flights From Glasgow to Malaga or Gibraltar - 11 posts
Sun Loungers - 13 posts
Cash and Carry warehouse - 2 posts
Pensions info from Euro Weekly News February 28, 2008 - 0 posts
European Union allows sadistic torturing of animals because it's tradition - 2 posts
Signing on the Padron - 1 posts
EARTHQUAKE - 19 posts
Luna Mar Apartments - 8 posts
Vista Hermosa Santa Margarita - 2 posts
Kingo - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 15

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x