What is E111

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Mar 2008 12:00 AM by bon-mal Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

What is covered by the E111.I am renting a place for 6ths in spain and i am wondering if i will need any other health cover. If so can anyone advise me on a good inexpensive one .         Thanks BON_Mal

Like 0      
04 Mar 2008 4:23 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
E111 doesn't exist, it's the EHIC you are thinking of. It ONLY covers EMERGENCY treatment for tourists that are hurt or take ill in Europe. You go to the A&E dept of local hospital. In fact I heard that in our area if you attend emergency more than once they question why you are in Spain for so long. You should have an annual travel medical cover, I think.

Like 0      
04 Mar 2008 4:39 PM by dennismundy Star rating in Las Kalendas - Fortu.... 263 posts Send private message

For more info on what is covered by the EHIC (E111) see http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/Healthadvicefortravellers/Gettingtreatmentaroundtheworld/EEAandSwitzerland/DH_4114793

The card may be valid for a 6 month stay.

Like 0      
04 Mar 2008 4:39 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

The EHIC replaced the E111 in January 2006.  It will cover you for emergency treatment whilst in EU and EEA countries plus it will cover you for treatment to a pre-existing condition.  However, whilst emergency treatment (broken limbs, coming down with the lurgi etc) will be provided free, pre-existing conditions (such as heart disease, diabetes etc) may be charged for.  You can then claim this back from the NHS when you return BUT only up to what it woul have cost in UK.  For example, if you need insulin for diabetes and it costs £25, you can claim the difference in UK between the prescription fee (£6.75????) and the £25.00.   If a doctor charges you £50 for a consultation, you can't claim anything back as it would cost £50 in UK even though you get it free in UK.

(Hope that makes sense)  Basically it is saying you get free emergency treatment but be prepared to pay if you have an existing condition.

Most annual travel insurance policies to Europe are only valid for visits up to 30 or 45  days so be careful.  You can take out single trip insurance for up to a year which will, obviously, cost more.

Direct Travel (direct-travel.co.uk) is very good.  We pay £46 a year which covers both of us for as many trips as we like in a year but is limited to 30 days at a time.  Also note that travel insurance policies don't cover pre-existing conditions. 

The EHIC should cover you for anything that crops up whilst you are there but, as More says, too many trips to the A&E may get questioned.  Also be careful when applying for the EHIC and only use the official website where it is free.  Some sites say they can get the EHIC for a fee but it is very easy to get one without paying.  A quick form on the EHIC site and the cards arrived 2 days later.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Destitute and facing eviction - 85 year old mother and son from San Isidro on CB - 0 posts
Demolitions near La Marina Village on the Costa Blanca NOW ! - 0 posts
Getting my cat to Spain - 13 posts
Another bit of daftness from Sunny Spain - 39 posts
Hola Life Snagging Surveys - 1 posts
cleaner - 0 posts
The UK lose battle to withhold benefits............ - 17 posts
Pet Insurance - 5 posts
Pool Covers - 4 posts
Hi - 0 posts
What is the best way to pay a small amount of Euros? - 8 posts
Where are you from!!! - 7 posts
Terque Web Site - 1 posts
Flights From Glasgow to Malaga or Gibraltar - 11 posts
Sun Loungers - 13 posts
Cash and Carry warehouse - 2 posts
Pensions info from Euro Weekly News February 28, 2008 - 0 posts
European Union allows sadistic torturing of animals because it's tradition - 2 posts
Signing on the Padron - 1 posts
EARTHQUAKE - 19 posts
Luna Mar Apartments - 8 posts
Vista Hermosa Santa Margarita - 2 posts
Kingo - 1 posts
Kingo - 9 posts
Dyth Gwyl Dewi Sant - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x