What is the best way to pay a small amount of Euros?

Currency exchange Spain
Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
02 Mar 2008 12:00 AM by kelju Star rating in South Yorkshire . 302 posts Send private message

kelju´s avatar

Hi,

I have checked the threads and can only find information about transferring large amounts or making regular monthly payments.

I am about to rent an apartment privately and the owner wants the payment in Euros,  What is the best way to pay small amounts, e.g. 50 euros to hold the apartment and a couple of hundred Euros for the balance. 

Can I use my Current Account and pay in a different currency? 

This is puzzling me and I can't seem to find anything about it on the Banks website either.

Kel

Like 0      
02 Mar 2008 10:22 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Kelju

If you have a Nationwide Flex current a/c you put your debit card in a VISA ATM in Spain & withdraw euros from your current a/c. You'll get best rate & no charge to use the VISA ATMs.

Otherwise T.Cook usually has best rate & they'll honour anyone else's rate on high street. For only 250€ it's not a major thing.

However, whilst you're in Spain you will need euros for general spending so, if you plan to do it regularly, I'd open, as we did, a Nationwide Flex a/c.

Like 0      
02 Mar 2008 10:41 PM by kelju Star rating in South Yorkshire . 302 posts Send private message

kelju´s avatar

Hi Morerosada,

I probably haven't explained properley.  I want to send the payment in Euros from the UK, without actually stuffing the Euros in an envelope and posting I am at a loss as to how it is done, the owner does not accept Credit or Debit cards.

I read your previous post about the Nationwide Flex Current Account and think it is sound advice, will probably open an account at the 1st opportunity.

Kel

Like 0      
02 Mar 2008 10:44 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
The owner will know surely seeing as he insists on this so I'd ask him. Obviously he has this happen all the time.

Like 0      
03 Mar 2008 11:05 AM by John 777 Star rating in West Midlands. 109 posts Send private message

Kel,

Your UK bank can make small value payments in Euro's from your normal bank account. Might not be the cheapest way of doing it, but it can be done. Most banks do have a cheaper fixed charge for low value payments and you would receive the basic comercial rate of exchange rate for the day.

You could also consider sending him Euro Travellers cheques.

John

Like 0      
03 Mar 2008 7:02 PM by kelju Star rating in South Yorkshire . 302 posts Send private message

kelju´s avatar

Thanks John,

I haven't had the time to check this out with my Bank but will do at some point this week, the Euro travellers cheques sound like an idea.

Kel

Like 0      
03 Mar 2008 11:24 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Have you tried Post Office Giro?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
04 Mar 2008 8:33 AM by kelju Star rating in South Yorkshire . 302 posts Send private message

kelju´s avatar
Thanks Roberto, I'll add that to my list of things to try.

Like 0      
08 Mar 2008 12:44 PM by kelju Star rating in South Yorkshire . 302 posts Send private message

kelju´s avatar

The cheapest way to transfer a small amount of money is through Pay Pal, it costs about £1.50 for the transaction but the other person has to have a Pay Pal account.

I have ended up going through my own Bank and paying around £20 for the privelege, it has cost about £250 in total to pay 300 Euros into someone elses account, which is about 1.2 Euros to the pound.

Not a very good rate of exchange I think you will agree.

Kel.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Where are you from!!! - 7 posts
Terque Web Site - 1 posts
Flights From Glasgow to Malaga or Gibraltar - 11 posts
Sun Loungers - 13 posts
Cash and Carry warehouse - 2 posts
Pensions info from Euro Weekly News February 28, 2008 - 0 posts
European Union allows sadistic torturing of animals because it's tradition - 2 posts
Signing on the Padron - 1 posts
EARTHQUAKE - 19 posts
Luna Mar Apartments - 8 posts
Vista Hermosa Santa Margarita - 2 posts
Kingo - 1 posts
Kingo - 9 posts
Dyth Gwyl Dewi Sant - 4 posts
A new month, March, begins. Morerosado is "retiring" with her OH on 13th ! - 79 posts
sky - 2 posts
Opticians. - 0 posts
THE BEACH HOUSE - 10 posts
security grilles - 38 posts
Musician looking for work - 1 posts
break ins common on new`builds - 1 posts
Cave houses in Rojales - 20 posts
Zeniamar - 7 posts
Spring Sale from Thomsonfly - 0 posts
Disney in Spain - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x