A FUN THING TO DO

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
17 Jan 2008 9:56 PM by DoubleJ Star rating in Las Alpujarras and L.... 143 posts Send private message

DoubleJ´s avatar

OK....

My logic on Qu 10 was slightly different.

Panties = A pair of nickers...... so 50% of panties = 1 nicker = £1.......... But I can see how it can be taken the other way (I've always had problems with ladies underwear !!)

My research for Qu 16 was confusing, but favoured the 4d solution because of the following:

"The Joey slang word seems reasonably certainly to have been named after the politician Joseph Hume (1777-1855), who advocated successfully that the fourpenny groat be reintroduced, which it was in 1835 or 1836, chiefly to foil London cab drivers (horse driven ones in those days) in their practice of pretending not to have change, with the intention of extorting a bigger tip, particularly when given two shillings for a two-mile fare, which at the time cost one shilling and eight-pence. The re-introduction of the groat thus enabled many customers to pay the exact fare, and so the cab drivers used the term Joey as a derisory reference for the fourpenny groats"

However, there were other references to 3d pieces as well, so I guess that was the chosen solution.

If I put the two corrections in, that leaves me trying to find an explanation for £5 for Qu 15........................... Now I'm stumped !!

Put me out of my misery .........Please....!!!

Like 0      
17 Jan 2008 10:24 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

If JJ is right & the number is £5 for the question - "will you do one for me?"

Could the answer be forfeit?

There is a legal term - FIFE POUND - that relates to forfeit.

Probably completely wrong

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
17 Jan 2008 10:45 PM by DoubleJ Star rating in Las Alpujarras and L.... 143 posts Send private message

DoubleJ´s avatar

Noreen,

Never heard of the term, but it sounds far more sensible than some of my answers.

Wonder if it's right ?

Like 0      
17 Jan 2008 11:08 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

JJ

As an alternative to £5, I googled Fife Pound & got that answer. Well I think I did because now when I do it, it isn't there any more.

You did extremely well with the rest, particularly the conversion rates!

Of course, I don't remember pre decimalisation (much)

We will have to wait for the oracle to give her proclaimation.

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
17 Jan 2008 11:50 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

You lot have had me in stitches tonight.

15. Will you do one for me ?  FAVOUR  with quite an accent, granted(Fiver) £5

Answer £38 - 2 - 5  1/2

This message was last edited by morerosado on 1/17/2008.

Like 0      
18 Jan 2008 8:30 AM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

That answer is even more obscure than mine.

Oh well I tried.

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
18 Jan 2008 11:16 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

I didn't write the questions. Good thinking caps on.

Noreen, glad you're feeling better as I now am, also.

Like 0      
18 Jan 2008 11:21 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

When I read the questions there were only two that I could answer.

As a Londoner and also a certain age I had memories of a £note being referred to as a knicker.

Couldn't work out the clue for the remaining question even with the answer.

Had fun yesterday adding up in £ S D and it brought back memories of when I was a Saturday girl working in Woolworths.

I worked on the sweets and cake counter where I used to cut up the big slabs of cake to sell by the weight.  I also sold bread which I think was just over 1s a loaf if my memory is holding up to the many years which have passed by.

Like 0      
18 Jan 2008 11:35 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Ah memories. When I was little we used to be able to buy teeny brown Hovis loaves for 1d & my sis & I would buy these for our dollies tea parties. We cut minute slices, put jam on too. 

I recall mum used to allow sis & I a 3d bit each to go to buy 2 oz sweets on a Saturday morning & we'd choose Dolly Mixtures. Mum used to say she loved these when we used to hand the bag round as we'd been taught. One Saturday mum was given half a crown by someone, quite a treat as we had no money & mum used to go out charring to help make ends meet. Life was difficult but no different to any of our friends whose dads were all in the same line of work with the govt. Mum gave the 2s/6d to Jean & I & said we could choose her some nice sweets. Seeing as she always said she loved Dolly Mixtures we chose them !! She meant loose Quality Street so that didn't go down too well. I always remember that.

Like 0      
18 Jan 2008 6:29 PM by DoubleJ Star rating in Las Alpujarras and L.... 143 posts Send private message

DoubleJ´s avatar

Favour................FAVOUR !!!!!

That's far too silly, so I'm taking my ball home and not playing any more.

I will have to think of some fiendish quiz to set you !!

Like 0      
18 Jan 2008 6:34 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Glad to hear you're not playing with your balls again, Double J.  As I said I didn't write the questions.

Like 0      
18 Jan 2008 7:20 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
Off to quiz now................................BUT tomorrow, I've got a good one to post!!!!!

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
21 Jan 2008 12:54 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Try this 

Click on blue link Name the States (US)

Like 0      
21 Jan 2008 12:57 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

Like 0      
21 Jan 2008 1:01 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2006/no-clue-crossword-p1.php

Click on crossword first then on a letter & it will fill in all those letters in the crossword.

Like 0      
21 Jan 2008 1:22 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

http://www.oddcast.com/home/demos/tts/tts_example.php?sitepal

Person will follow your curser too. Go on, have a play with it. You know you want to.

Like 0      
21 Jan 2008 6:38 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

If you want to stay sane do not try to do the united states map , it may be my laptop but even though the state is in the correct place it still won't except it.

I' ve managed to get it down to 47/48 through a lot of cursing and swearing at the screen when it won't accept the answer.

What a nightmare

At least I know my states now just need to find somewhere to use all this knowledge.

Like 0      
21 Jan 2008 6:49 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

I have trouble knowing where USA is never mind the states, semi.

You're one very clever cookie. Well done.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 1/21/2008.

Like 0      
21 Jan 2008 9:28 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

I only started off with the states I knew and researched on the internet for the rest.  But even with the information to hand it was still difficult to do.

I think if you answer correctly then it goes quite slowly but once you make a mistake then it starts to quicken up.  Also when you drag over a state it suddenly changes to another so when it arrives into the slot it's not in the right place if that makes sense.

Maybe it's this laptop but it was very frustrating, especially when I was down to the final one and it wouldn't go into the last bit of the puzzle.

Like 0      
21 Jan 2008 10:49 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Mebbee you ought to stick with the white jigsaw, semi.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

specsavers - 20 posts
What Tog Duvet ? - 7 posts
How much to renew a British Passport? - 9 posts
When is Completion? - 12 posts
Just to say hello, it's nice in spain! - 14 posts
The Big House - 2 posts
Receipts & Invoices for the UK taxman - 4 posts
What "official" things to do on next visit to Spain - 6 posts
What's the rental market like in the Marbella/Puerto Banus/Calahonda areas? - 10 posts
Problems with electricity - 26 posts
money leaving my account without my permission - 7 posts
Anyone recommend independent solicitor? - 12 posts
HELP!! SINGLE MUM PLANNING TO MOVE TO SPAIN - 11 posts
Wanted long term let in Playa Flamenca - 3 posts
Compulsary Solar Panels on New Builds and Renovations !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 8 posts
Licence Notice - 0 posts
Inheritance tax, does anyone know this company? - 7 posts
Birthday? - 4 posts
Not Justin's birthday AGAIN, is it ? - 8 posts
MASA ...unrepentant after illegally selling house twice - 4 posts
Small steps...but things move forward - 9 posts
Easyjet Sale - 4 posts
I need properties in Elviria for holiday rentals - 0 posts
aldea beach 1 & 11 - 0 posts
Patio/Garden Furniture Required - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 42

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x