Stanley Johnson Holidays?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 Mar 2021 11:00 AM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

If you are planning to buy, sell, rent a property in Spain your motives may be questioned.  Is it fair & reasonable to travel to Spain under the guise of the needing to manage your property?

Some of us have had our properties on the market for years now - would that be taken as genuine?

A clip from the press:

<<
Under new rules coming into force on 29 March, residents will be permitted to leave the UK to prepare second homes for rent or sale.

From that date, new coronavirus regulations in England stipulate that travel outside of the UK is forbidden unless for essential purposes. Leaving the UK after this date without a valid reason could result in a £5,000 fine.
<<

The facts of the matter seem a bit woolly - some reports say it's already law others that there is a vote in the House tomorrow (25th March) but I reckon either way the matter will receive an airing, probably not a bad thing.

Owning a property in Spain has become of lesser benefit with greater expenses due to Brexit/Schengen, so I suspect a lot more folk will be thinking of selling anyway - but the prospects and penalties are not good.  Too many uncertainties!

Like 0      
24 Mar 2021 11:04 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Pretty sure also the ten day isolation is still valid on arrival back to the UK, if true which I am sure it could be, that makes a two day trip to check on your house a lengthy process.

Like 0      
24 Mar 2021 1:55 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

I've not seen any detail - that's a fair comment if it were a 2 day trip to sell or rent a property.  But sometimes it may take a whole lot longer to bring the property up to the standard required to put on the market etc.

Like 0      
24 Mar 2021 4:28 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

‘’Is it fair & reasonable to travel to Spain under the guise of the needing to manage your property?’’

In my opinion NO. Why put other peoples life’s at risk, COVID  laws and guidelines exist for the welfare benefit of all.

Beware of press clippings which are created to sell newspapers.

Like 1      
24 Mar 2021 7:03 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

Kavanagh,

It was raised as a talking point, despite the expectation of a comment from you.

But in reality the likelihood currently is that any Brit travelling to Spain this summer will have had both jabs and still be required to have at least one negative test.  If it were me I would also voluntarily put myself into 14 day isolation, as I've done twice already. 

The local supermarket has an excellent delivery service, so the risk I create is miniscule - so please no patronising advice.

PS Currently there are considerably less restrictions of travel around the EU by the rest of Europe - all of whom have had far fewer inoculations.  It's those guys who present a far greater hazard.

Like 0      
24 Mar 2021 7:56 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

‘’ so the risk I create is miniscule’’

Acer are you a qualified COVID-19 scientist?

Like 1      
26 Mar 2021 1:48 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

Kavanagh, I don't need to be a motor mechanic to drive a car, or a IT geek to use a computer, so why should I need to be a "COVID-19 scientist" to follow the Government's guidance on travel restrictions? 

I watched the televised Covid 19 debate in parliament yesterday. It was a bit mundane and Stanley Johnson's amendment was hardly mentioned and the house accepted the government's proposals without amendment by a massive majority.  In fact those who voted against were clearly of the opinion that we should be relaxing the rules a lot sooner.

Stanley Johnson has written a good article in the Telegraph today - you may wish to read it and perhaps let him have the benefit of your thoughts.  

But I'm more interested in hearing the findings from the Global Travel Taskforce which are now scheduled to be made known on 5th April - a week earlier than previously indicated.  That may well be crucial for a far greater number of people.

Like 0      
26 Mar 2021 4:53 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

We are discussing COVID restrictions and not your driving and computer skills. COVID scientist would appear to have the most knowledge and expertise, not members of parliament who’s greatest skills are for claiming for duck ponds on their expense account. However I accept that you are the COVID expert on EOS and would recommend all members follow your advice.

Like 1      
26 Mar 2021 6:48 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

Kavanagh - you misquote me, I did not suggest I was the EOS expert on Covid matters, nor would I make such an absurd suggestion.

This thread is not "closed" it was opened to discuss the surprising allowance of the flexibility in the travel restrictions negotiated by Stanley Johnson, so keeping your comments on this topic would be very much appreciated.

Thank you so much kiss

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

A strong battle against Supreme Court´s recent interpretation of Law 57/68 we are in - 10 posts
Getting Your House Bills Electronically When Stuck In The UK - 8 posts
Pain Clinic - 2 posts
Driver and campervan required June/July for Spain to UK repatriation 1 person, 2 cats and luggage - 0 posts
Mapfre insurance - 4 posts
Law changed to protect the councils ? - 6 posts
Where to get permission to be out in curfew? - 0 posts
Costaluz lawyers return of Off plan deposit plus costs and interest - 1 posts
planning permission for a swimming pool ?. - 3 posts
Still Waiting......... - 6 posts
Benamara/Benavista Footbridge over A7 Highway - 0 posts
Money Transfers - 12 posts
Let me help you! Expat in Spain (Andalusia) - Anything that needs to be done on your property... - 0 posts
New-Build Property and Guarantee Insurance - 2 posts
Playa flamenca Jumilla complex - 4 posts
Non-Lucrative Residence Visa - 20 posts
3% retention - 9 posts
Banco Santander, Manilva (San luis de Sabinillas) email address known? - 3 posts
New buyer location advice - 2 posts
looking to rent and then buy in Chantada/Rodeiro area - 2 posts
Bank Charges - 19 posts
Importing car to Spain post Brexit - 1 posts
Community AGMs - 6 posts
Import duty - 2 posts
Taxes on gift ? - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x