Importing car from outside Europe

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Oct 2007 12:00 AM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
I wonder if anyone can tell me what the import tax implications are when bringing in a car from outside europe?  If we were interested in bringing a car from Dubai to Spain (four years old), would we be stuck with a hefty duty bill?  Or would it be better to ship to the UK, then on to Spain?  (As I don't think we would have to pay duty in the UK).

Any help?

Like 0      
05 Oct 2007 8:12 AM by JC1 Star rating in Manchester and La Du.... 963 posts Send private message

JC1´s avatar

Jan...I don't know the answer but Mark recently bought a car in London and has taken it over to Duquesa. He might have some info.

Regards

John

Like 0      
05 Oct 2007 3:27 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Thanks, John.  I think it's different importing a vehicle from outside europe, though.

I recall a friend of a friend moving to Spain, from Dubai, some years ago and they took a car with them and were whacked with a hefty bill for tax - I think they found out after that had they imported it into the UK and then took it to Spain it would have saved them bundles of money!!  Something like that!  I just wondered if there was anyone who had imported a car to Spain from outside europe or knew about it.

Like 0      
08 Oct 2007 6:31 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Drawn a blank with this one, Jan?

May be best getting professional advice (i.e. a Gestor), but for what it's worth, here's my thoughts.

Has VAT been paid on the car? Don't know about Dubai, but if no VAT has been paid, could be that Spain will want 16% IVA.

Registration tax: not an import tax, and charged on all imports, whether from within EU or not presumably.  12%, or 7% if petrol and less than 1600cc or diesel less than 2000cc.

Import duty of 10% for cars imported from outside the EU - although I cannot guarantee the validity of this info.

All these "taxes" will be calculated based on the new value of the car. Check your rmake/model here:

http://www.aeat.es/wps/portal/DetalleTributo?channel=76c1fc3d77ab8010VgnVCM10000050f01e0a____&ver=L&site=56d8237c0bc1ff00VgnVCM100000d7005a80____&idioma=es_ES&menu=0&img=0

by clicking on "vehiculos de turismo", then apply a depreciation factor of 47% if your car is between 4 and 5 years old.

Hope that makes sense!

Oh yes, forgot to mention - I've read somewhere that if you re-register your car within a couple of weeks of becoming resident, you are exempt from all these taxes! Don't know whether that only applies if you're importing from within the EU though, and don't know whether it's true or not - and don't know where I read it...............not much help, am I?

This message was last edited by Roberto on 10/8/2007.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
08 Oct 2007 7:29 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Thanks for that, Roberto!

So going by those figures and taking into account the 47pc depreciation, it still works out to be nearly 6,000 euros just on the import duty, IVA and registration fee!  Then we'd have the expense of actually shipping it out and all the rest of the local fees payable (which I'm sure there are!).

We don't have VAT here in the UAE (at the moment!).  Don't know whether I've got it right or not, but I was under the impression that, if the car is more than six months old (could be longer, maybe) then if importing into the UK you didn't have to pay VAT on it.  So obviously it's not the same for Spain?  Maybe that's why I recall it being a better idea to take it to the UK and then ship it from there.

Don't think it's really realistic!!  Especially the amount of time that, at the moment, we spend there.  If we spent more time in Spain, then it might work out to be a saving over a couple of years, if we're having to rent a car every time we're there.

Oh well, worth a thought!

Thanks again!

Like 0      
08 Oct 2007 7:52 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Like I said, I'm not certain of any of that info. If you are importing a car from the UK on which no VAT has been paid, I think you would still have to pay IVA on it here. For example, if you buy a new car in UK without paying the VAT, on the basis that you are exporting it, as soon as you register it in Spain, you will be liable for IVA. But really not sure. Sorry.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

hello im new to this forum - 0 posts
Debonair Air Conditioning - 3 posts
Caleta Paraiso - 3 posts
Maintenance service - San Cayetano - 1 posts
The RAIN in Spain.......................... - 40 posts
halloween/guy fawkes - 0 posts
Ryannair Summer flights 2008 - 1 posts
Llanera in trouble - 1 posts
help - 2 posts
20,001 Members - 7 posts
Money transfers to spain - 8 posts
eirlys floyd - 1 posts
spanish wills. - 17 posts
Community Is The Key To Success! - 0 posts
Last Chance Of Bargain Luxury Apartment With A difference! - 0 posts
Your Choice Of Area Very Important! - 0 posts
www.sirragolfservices.com - 3 posts
For Morerosado. - 10 posts
Cash deposit(s) at Halifax Espana branches - 1 posts
Banking Administrator – Gibraltar - 1 posts
Justice in Spain? - 21 posts
punta marinea - 6 posts
Advice please - 2 posts
Barcelona football tickets champions league - 0 posts
Anyone waiting to move to Spain - 50 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x