Relationship split but joint owned property

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 May 2019 12:23 AM by Kell3 Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Good eveing

ive had a lovely message off my ex today who has stated he’s changed locks on property we jointly own in Spain and because I’ve made no payments for a year that means he now has 100% ownership of property.  

Is this at all possible? We are both joint owners 

thanks in advance 

Like 0      
16 May 2019 8:23 AM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Hello Kell and welcome to EOS

This whole situation could become problematic, expensive (legal fees) and go on for years.

Why are you bothered about him changing the locks? Do you want access to use the property or has he just wound you up?

If you are joint owners and you are on the deeds (Escritura) you remain joint owner.

Like 0      
16 May 2019 9:01 AM by Kell3 Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Thank you I love the property in Spain and I’m not happy that. He feels he can do this.  I just want to know legally what can he do? 

Like 0      
16 May 2019 9:39 AM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Kell you might love the property in Spain but are you now separated and in the UK? Is it his main place of residence and just a memory to you?

Legally he can change the locks on a daily basis if he likes, what does it matter?

The only things you need to be concerned about is getting your share of the equity out of the property, that’s if there is any. Discharging any debts and liabilities you may have relating to the property and your relationship.

Like 0      
16 May 2019 11:09 AM by Kell3 Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

The property was bought with cash and he lives in the uk as do I! 

So im also half owner so there fore I can change locks daily too 

Like 0      
16 May 2019 11:42 AM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Kell I am only trying to help and advice with very limited information on your situation. Should one of you make the property your main residence, and that means living there, being Spanish resident, being on the Padron, that person legally would have the upper hand, especially if it came to a disputed Dissolution of Joint Property Ownership.

Like 0      
16 May 2019 12:03 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Kell as explained if you are shown on the escritura as part owner then that is your legal situation.  The property cannot be disposed of without both owners agreeing.  Unless it goes to court and an order is made which dictates another course

you could go to a lawyer and incur expense or you could discuss the situation with the other part owner and come to the agreement which you may do using a lawyer

Common sense would seem to say, make an amicable arrangement with the other owner

Like 0      
16 May 2019 12:57 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

kell

its sounds like your relationship has really hit the buffers with no chance of compromise. If it were me I would tell your ex that the next time you go to Spain you will be employing a locksmith to gain entry and change the locks again, as half owner you are entitled to do so. This might make him think twice about changing them again or he may give you a set of keys. You mentioned that you haven't made payments for a year, presumably these are for community fees, council taxes and non resident income tax? I would advise that if you are in a position to repay these amounts that you do so as IMHO should you end up going down the legal route you would be in a far better position, As for his assumption that he has 100% ownership, he is dreamining. Even if he were to pay you to buy out your share there would be significant costs in doing so as I think even though you were partners or husband and wife the tax authorities would class it as a sale of property. (If I am wrong on this point someone will correct me)

Like 1      
16 May 2019 1:21 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Absolutely correct John. Unfortunately relationship breakups are often bitter and end up with a load of childish tit for tat expensive nonsense.  A Lawyers paradise and meal ticket they will milk for every euro they can get.

Usually there is a lesser rate of tax to pay in a buyout situation, but you would need to check out the exact details as with everything in Spain.

Like 0      
16 May 2019 2:16 PM by Kell3 Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Thank you for taking your time out to reply we split up 3 years ago he’s just decided that he is now wanting me off without offering me any money 

Like 0      
16 May 2019 6:00 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Hello Kell 

Maybe I and others have jumped the gun in offering advice and opinions that have not actually been asked for. 

Your last comment. The laws in Spain are not always the same as the UK, you can ask a question in Spain and get 10 different answers. 

Were you married or still married? Who’s cash paid for the property? He cannot simply get you off the deeds. If this case goes the legal route expect 5 years to lifetime and a legal bill minimum of €5,000 each.

Like 0      
16 May 2019 6:13 PM by Jimbofinn Star rating in Chiclana De La Front.... 224 posts Send private message

Jimbofinn´s avatar

Hi, I went through the dissolution of property process with my ex wife a few years ago albeit on amicable terms. As has already been stated, the property is still jointly owned until the dissolution process is carried out.  You could preempt this by starting this process yourself and have him removed from the escritura, or indeed he could do this with you, but either way both parties will have to agree to the process. the costs of which are around 3k.

Good luck

Like 0      
16 May 2019 6:21 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Kell Sorry to repeat this but unless you both want to waste money on lawyers, who drag it out unnecessarily to justify their bills, come to an amicable agreement.   The fees you will have to pay to sell or transfer the Property to one or other will be the same whether you use a lawyer or not

Like 2      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Administrator - 3 posts
Car transport to Spain - 6 posts
Legal house on "suelo no urbanizable" - 10 posts
Driving to spain - 31 posts
What buisness would be good idea. (Legally ) - 2 posts
Power of Attorney - 5 posts
Fuerteventura bank account - 2 posts
swimming pool construction - 0 posts
Retiral - 15 posts
area recomendations - 5 posts
Fight keeps going! Costaluz Lawyers won cases in 2018 and 2019 - 34 posts
Problems with a builder - 22 posts
Court Advice - 2 posts
25 Brexit need to knows ( Martin Lewis) - 94 posts
Maria de Castro in Alcaidesa - 2 posts
Ron - 17 posts
Love spain - 5 posts
Alcaidesa, Sotogrande, San Roque, Estepona, Tarifa, Alcalá, San Pablo, Jimena, Gaucín... - 3 posts
NIE - 3 posts
Mortgage problems with Sabadell Bank? - 0 posts
Today´s European Commission - Press release on ‘No-deal' Brexit preparedness - 0 posts
NIE new form - 3 posts
Traffic Fines - Phishing scam - 3 posts
Help - Father passed away - can't get money from Bank - 7 posts
Game of Thrones Season 8 - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x