Fears about buying a property in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
23 Jul 2018 10:39 PM by Lizburgess Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hi, Im new to this site and I am in the process of buying a property in Villamartin Spain.  I have checked out the solicitor and he is registered witht the Spanish Local Bar Association (Colegio de Abogados), not to mention he is the Mayor of San Migual de Salinas, a town not far from where I am buying the property.

My concerns are that I might be being scammed......I have noting to base this on other than all of the negative information I have read on the internet regarding the pitfalls when buying in Spain.

My Estate Agent is called Gary Lewis (British) from Complete Spanish Properties, although the property is being sold via El Sergio Properties in Carbo Riog, so both agents are sharing the commission I guess. 

Has anyone out there had any dealings with either of these estate agents and if so, can you let me know if the process ran smoothly, or whether there is anything I should know.

Thank you in anticipation of any replies......

Like 0      
24 Jul 2018 6:33 AM by mib150 Star rating in Corvera / Yorkshire. 125 posts Send private message

Why do you think you are being scammed?

Like 0      
24 Jul 2018 8:14 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

When buying a property in Spain:

Do extensive research in the locality where it's located. Talk to people actually living there not agents, sellers or people on holiday and use your common sense. Spend time being critical and take off the rose tinted spectacles. Check prices in the immediate area compare to yours and if many are for sale ask why. Rent before you buy if you can.

If you have the least suspicion something’s wrong then it usually is. Trust your own instincts. If it turns out you were wrong nothing much lost there are always other properties sometimes much better.

Make no assumptions lawyers and agents operate as in UK or elsewhere. Make no assumptions Spanish professionals are equipped with the same ethical standards in Britain. Do not assume the rule of law applies in the same way as Britain and elsewhere. Never use a lawyer recommended by agents. The fact your lawyer is registered only means they are qualified.

Remember everyone involved in property are basically sales people who want your cash with the least effort. Once they have it don't expect further help. You are on your own thereafter.

Good luck many people have a problem free experience and unfortunately many do not. It really is a matter of luck and good sense. Like all gambles sometimes you win often you lose.

Like 0      
24 Jul 2018 2:20 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

A fully independent lawyer is of the essence. If lawyers locates out of the area of influence of estate agents, banks... even better.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
24 Jul 2018 6:01 PM by amogles Star rating in El Campello (holiday.... 174 posts Send private message

I agree with all of the above.

Do extensive research. Talk to neighbours. A local bar may also be a good place to pick up on local gossip and "make enquiries". Come to the site without the agent and even if you can't get inside the house, walk the surrounding area to get a feel of what the area is like. Are there lost of run down properties? Are you too close to a motorway? Ae you withi walking distance of shops, public transport, etc. All factors that can affect the value of the property. Also go onto the land registry website (catastro, its free) and check out the sqare meterage and borders of the property and land. Many agents and sellers have a tendency to inflate such figures. At the same time you can find out whether that strange extension and that dodgy garage were really built as legally as the agent clains. 

Like 0      
24 Jul 2018 6:31 PM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

The agent is actually called El Siglio run by Raz and yes it is very normal to share properties and commisions and he is normally OK, old agency that recently changed hands

I have sold 3 thorugh them as an agent with no problems

If you have any doubt get your own independant lawyer and get them to supply ALL of the paperwork for them to check, BEFORE you sign any reservation contract or pay any money

Like 0      
24 Jul 2018 10:02 PM by Lizburgess Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Thank you to all who answered my post, especially inspectahomespain who has first hand knowledge of agent.  El Siglio yes, and the person I am dealing with is called Reza, so probably the same person.  Thank you for sharing what you know.

Liz

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

RATS - 1 posts
Bazza56 - 1 posts
model aircraft clubs - 0 posts
Buying Property - Protecting Myself (Ongoing Divorce) - 4 posts
help required with 3 main questions. thank you. - 1 posts
DOG FRIENDLY GUEST HOUSES - 3 posts
Northern Irish cast adrift once again - 17 posts
Ychristmas - 0 posts
New Tourism regulations for Holiday rentals in Valencia: Law 15/2018 - 6 posts
No tax if no gain when property selling: Supreme Court recent decission - 4 posts
Is airbnb permitted? - 2 posts
Denuncia - 6 posts
Recommendations for property manager - Quatretonda and surrounding areas - 10 posts
The very dark side of the Andalusian property buying p - 8 posts
Long term rental wanted - 1 posts
Inheritance tax - 24 posts
Rental Agents - 2 posts
where shall I go - 6 posts
Mulla old town housing - 3 posts
Disaster in Spain .. any help appreciated - 8 posts
Any help would be so helpful. - 5 posts
Costaluz lawyers - 8 posts
Driving licence - 2 posts
No need for dish if you have Virgin Media in U.K - 5 posts
Credit Card and Car Hire - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x