The beauty of EU Directive 2016/680

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 May 2018 9:01 AM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

We all seem to be bombarded by companies seeking to to put their house in order in preparation for EU Directive 2016/680, the Data Protection Law Enforcement Directive.  Yes on the surface it seems like another piece of bureaucracy, but there are benefits!

I have a silly dispute with Sky.  They say I owe them £30, I've written to them many times telling them nicely they wrong, it really is down to their error and thought they would accept the position.  Wrong.  I've had more regular emails with what can only be described as goobledegook, which is clearly intended to harass me.

So a couple of weeks ago I took the troube to write to them, politely explaining the position attaching copies of emails etc assuming that would be an end to it.  But no, today I received an apology, without any explanation with a £10 "credit note".  The amount is arbitrary, it is silly, although they seem to think that if they can bombard me with stuff for long enough I will pay the balance of their charge, which simply makes no sense at all.

But we now have the EU Directive 2016/680, which inter alia will prohibit such cavalier behaviour, which otherwise will become actionable.  I've never encountered anything like this situation with Sky, but there are companies in the past where I've been unable to stop them sending me "sales" spam stuff.  Some days I've received more of this than genuine emails and the danger is that you can inadvertently delete the wrong one. 

So I'm in favour of
EU Directive 2016/680 - and hope this is the end of an era of harassment by email!

Like 0      
15 May 2018 9:38 AM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

It’s all a numbers game, 8 out of 10 people will pay just to get rid of the issue. These companies know it.

Like 1      
15 May 2018 10:09 AM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

I'm sure you are right Kavanagh, but now we have some legislation that will make like more difficult for these big companies that try to bully people.

I'm not vaguely suggesting that people shouldn't pay their debts, quite the reverse.  But there is an awful lot of sharp practice - particularly in certain sectors.  This legislation will make their devious tactics more difficult.  It should be a breath of fresh air for consumers in several ways.

Like 0      
16 May 2018 7:48 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

The EU has a long history of protecting consumer rights. Phone roaming charges being one recent benefit and the abolition of digital media geo.restrictions.

Imagine a Europe of separate states with differing rules and regulation competing with each other in a dog eat dog scenario.

Like 0      
16 May 2018 8:41 AM by tenerife Star rating. 130 posts Send private message

Mickey,

Are you one of those Globalists: open borders, open society, new world order types. That makes you like most of the EU MEPs; an admirer of George Soros(a very dangerous man).

Like 0      
16 May 2018 10:29 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

That question makes for an interesting debate, One that would go off topic and hi-jack the thread.

However I can answer positively to both. I am an admirer of George Soros who has given over $32 billion to philanthropic work around the world.

Like 1      
18 May 2018 11:29 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Great piece of legislation in my view.

Unfortunately the only contacts/companies asking me to stay signed up are the ones I want to keep anyway, The ones I'd like to ditch haven't been in touch yet - I wonder why?

Like 0      
18 May 2018 1:40 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

Glad someone else share the view.  I've got too many companies that send me junk mail.  The ones I know are respectable are long gone.  But the problem ones are those you don't know, ot think may be iffy.

An IT guy told me a while ago not to open any email I'm usure of, so I haven't, but the little blighters keep on sending them.

I know there may be an option to click on a "unsubscribe" tab, but I'm never quite sure this is good.  Also some of mine are from the USA and I've no idea if they have the same rules.

I'm not that bothered, but just think the legislation may reduce the amount of spam, which is simply a waste of time.  And provides a weapon against some.  I believe in free speach but a few of them don't know when to shut-up.

Like 0      
18 May 2018 5:52 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Same here. Don't get a huge amount, about five a day from various companies who I've enquired or bought something from years ago.

However, it looks like they've finally cottoned on to the new rules as I've had about 10 in the last couple of days with "We're updating our privacy policy", companies like a cruise line we used some years ago, Ryanair, Cotton Traders and so on.

One or two I've agreed to keep (Nissan for one as they send me a discount voucher on the car service each year - I can put up with the offers) but most I've said no thanks or simply deleted.

Unfortunately the Spam keeps coming. Two today from "Rev Peter Cox" and "Bless the Lord with Us" plus the "I have 10 squillion in an account in Libya/Kenya/Afghanistan I'd like to share with you". (I did have one saying I have $6,80 dollars awaiting your transfer so that one couldn't be setting his sights very high).

It'll be nice not to have to delete all these things first thing in the morning.

Like 0      
18 May 2018 7:00 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Despite it can seem difficult to implement/understand I do think the Data Protection New Regulations place order in the a bit  wild world of online marketing

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Power of attorney - 8 posts
Earthquake around Pilar de la Horadada, Costa Blanca 11-5-2018 - 0 posts
Television - 2 posts
Transferring a properties ownership - 5 posts
Extra transfer tax - 19 posts
Tourist licence - 2 posts
Web Renta anomaly - 0 posts
Looking for a leasing agent in Montejaque Spain - 1 posts
English Speaking Lawyer - 9 posts
Registering a car owned by a relative - compulsory? - 8 posts
Changing Spanish Lawyer - 0 posts
Bankia codes - 6 posts
Bankia codes - 0 posts
Campsite - 2 posts
Modify Community Statutes restricting Debtors Rights - 1 posts
Cuidad Quesada - 9 posts
CAM bank mortgage now Sabadell help please. - 14 posts
Greetings from a Newbie - 6 posts
Disabled acess - 3 posts
Deleting binned private messages - 2 posts
Wills - 3 posts
Calais to Calahonda - 2 posts
NIE application - 2 posts
To rent an apartment without a job - 16 posts
illegal Business/Workers - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x