HEALTHCARE IN SPAIN

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Feb 2018 2:20 PM by DANNI1 Star rating. 24 posts Send private message

Hi everyone,

Can any EXpats give me a definitive answer as to the Healthcare system in Spain, when you live in Spain do Children automatically receive free healthcare?? 

I know we will have to pay as we are young and will not be working initially.

Thanks in advance.

Danni

Like 0      
28 Feb 2018 2:49 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Everything changed last April ...to be a Resident you will need approximately €4,000 for each person including children ...deposited in a Spanish bank account for 3 months before you apply to be a Resident...Google ( do I need proof of income to live in Spain) you must prove that you will not be a burden to Spain...if you are only taking the children on holiday you can still use the EHIC health card....If you are not residents you cannot gain access to schools or the Spanish NHS ...so basically if you are ducking and diving /working cash in hand you will have some explaining to do.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 28/02/2018.

Like 2      
28 Feb 2018 6:23 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

When you become resident, you have to show that you have private medical care for a year (you can't do the monthly payment). Once you are resident and have private health care for you and you partner, you will get free healthcare for children under 18. However, you may find a family package for private care is the same as for the two of you so think about that as well.

Spanish NHS care is free to those under 18 (under 26 if in full time education), EU citizens over retirement age in their own country with an S1 form, those registered disabled, pregnant women and those who work and pay social security payments.

You can use the EHIC for treatment in the first 3 months of your stay whilst applying for residency. Once you are a resident, you can no longer use the EHIC.

Only one of you needs to be working and paying social security for the whole household to be covered. You can also go self-employed (autonomo) but you have to pay into the social security system and this can work out more expensive than the cost of private health insurance (depending on circumstances).

Like 1      
01 Mar 2018 9:16 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Marie wrote: Once you are a resident, you can no longer use the EHIC.

That is correct in Spain. however if you travel outside the country the EHIC card is still valid for emergency medical treatment in other EU states, including UK.

Let us hope Brexit does not change that.

Like 0      
01 Mar 2018 9:50 AM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

All the rules and regulations should be obeyed and are for your own wellbeing.

But in reality ‘’must sometimes becomes supposed’’. If you get an internet quote in English for private health insurance the Spanish authorities don’t know the difference between a quote and an actual policy. Many expats retain and use their EHIC.

It’s the same with proof of income. You can Micky Mouse all sorts of documents including bank statements.

The Spanish authorities have neither the time or resources to verify anything.

Clearly it’s only fools that do this, but it goes on.

Like 1      
01 Mar 2018 10:08 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Kavanagh I think you are referring to the Ducking and Diving  Brigade from the UK...that tend to plague certain areas of the Costa's ...they are very easy to spot they are the ones with the the arse  hanging out of their trousers.

Like 0      
01 Mar 2018 10:17 AM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Correct, many never even bother to register as residents. So what, who’s ever been deported or even fined they would ask.

Like 0      
01 Mar 2018 10:55 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

A rough estimate from my own experience is probably only about 25% of the retired Brits living in Spain register as residents. They seem to prosper in that state without the need to change their illegal status.

Many of them I know personally voted for the UK to leave the EU in the referendum. Principally it's taxation and bureaucracy and the belief that they can get away with it that’s the culprit. They keep properties in the UK ready to bolt back if necessary.

Maybe their time will be up after Brexit. The local expat radio stations in Spain constantly advertise companies offering advice on how to regularise their affairs. I doubt anything fundamental will change.

Like 0      
01 Mar 2018 11:16 AM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

There are many ''arse  hanging out of their trousers'' on Campasol, Murcia who never register. They are only interested in bingo and the Sunday whippet racing.

But I suppose the only useful purpose to register is for healthcare if you are an OAP, why else bother?.

Like 0      
01 Mar 2018 12:05 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Kavanagh.I take that you have never been to CAMPOSOL ...because the whippet racing is held on a Tuesday....and the Bingo is on every night at the €15 million 18 hole golf club ...you can also buy a pair of Brace's to hold your trousers up in the chino shop for a couple of euro's ...next time you call in Camposol for a pie and a pint.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 01/03/2018.

Like 1      
01 Mar 2018 12:22 PM by DANNI1 Star rating. 24 posts Send private message

Thanks for all your advice and replies, very insightful.

Danni

Like 0      
01 Mar 2018 1:12 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

"Thanks for all your advice and replies, very insightful." Yes, especially the tip about Tuesday night whippet racing and the braces for a couple of euros - good to know! laugh

Mickyfinn: "Many (British expats) I know personally voted for the UK to leave the EU in the referendum." - Interesting; why on earth would they have done that, I wonder? I find that very strange.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
01 Mar 2018 1:24 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Me too Roberto! It has been the source of endless arguments. What it actually indicates is a lack of personal and emotional commitment to Spain. Many retired Brit residents are simply on a long perpetual holiday. I suppose that works for them.

Like 1      
01 Mar 2018 1:36 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

You're probably right. Much as the rose-tinted spectacle brigade might like to claim, I don't really know of any expats who genuinely have any "personal or emotional commitment to Spain". What it also indicates to me is a total lack of understanding of what Brexit actually means in reality - which I guess probably applies to roughly 101% of the voting populace - politicains included (especially so)

Mark Twain

Like 0      
01 Mar 2018 2:23 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

If you want to turn this thread into a Brexit Remoaners ...hear we go the Majority of the UK population voted Democratically to leave the EU ..basically because it is just not fair ..and not run on a equal basis every member state should have the same rule's ...I now believe that the Remoaners that voted to stay in the EU because they thought Nandos and Kentucky fry chicken was going to close..would now vote out .

This message was last edited by windtalker on 01/03/2018.

Like 1      
03 Mar 2018 5:10 PM by rayinspain Star rating in Pontypridd. 19 posts Send private message

Fact check for Roberto:  to quote windtalker “the majority of the UK population Democratcally voted to leave the EU” is incorrect.

Around 25% of the UK population and 37% of eligible voters voted to leave the EU.  It however true to say that a majority of those who did vote, voted to leave.  

Like 2      
03 Mar 2018 6:20 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Whatever the percentages, my point was simply that nobody really knew what Brexit would mean - regardless of which way they voted

Mark Twain

Like 0      
03 Mar 2018 6:57 PM by rayinspain Star rating in Pontypridd. 19 posts Send private message

Indeed, I agree. It is only now that reality is kicking in and, in my opinion, neither side will be happy with the final outcome.

Like 0      
04 Mar 2018 8:01 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Roberto wrote - my point was simply that nobody really knew what Brexit would mean - regardless of which way they voted.

Absolutely and that is why a second referendum is essential when the final deal is clear.

Like 0      
04 Mar 2018 8:56 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

If the UK stay in the EU...the whole UK social security system including the pensions for the OAP would collapse.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Newbie to here and hopefully to Spain! - 26 posts
Wanted: Long term rental villa Moraira area /Se busca alquiler de villa a largo plazo en el área de Moraira - 0 posts
Landlord refuses to fix hot water - says I can pay for it myself - 7 posts
Hello from a future apprentice in Spain - 1 posts
Saving account - 1 posts
Help! I need a landscape gardener - 0 posts
Landscape gardener required - 1 posts
Pontevedra - 1 posts
Community powers - 10 posts
Autism provision in Spain - 2 posts
The dreaded Selling my Car in Spain - 1 posts
Embargo/Sale of uninhabited property if owner owes high Community Fees... - 6 posts
Hello - 19 posts
Buying a car in spain - 11 posts
Right of neighbour over my land - 12 posts
Blood pressure monitor - 2 posts
Best way to transfer money out of Spain - 23 posts
CAPITAL GAINS TAX - RESIDENCIAL PROPERTY - 2 posts
How strange - 7 posts
Buying a Apartment - Wheres the catch? - 10 posts
Fortuna Golf - 6 posts
Neighbour trespassing - 28 posts
Bringing the love to Spain - 4 posts
Revoking a Power of Attorney - 5 posts
Gibraltar and penson - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 22

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x